• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bijan

banksmiranda

Reaction score
Bijan was planning to move relocate his NYC store from Fifth Avenue (he decided that it was no longer exclusive enough) to somewhere on Madison Avenue between 60th and 65th. Anyone know the exact address of the new location? The old location is 699 Fifth Avenue.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've walked by that store many times. Somehow, the guard at the door and the "shopping by appointment only" sign was a bit off-putting. I've never been inside I always just assumed that everything inside would be wildly overpriced and too expensive for middle class riff-raff like me.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But then most high end shops have a guard. If not every one.
Yes, but this guard is there to keep people out, as opposed to keeping people from leaving without paying. They go out of their way to make the place uninviting and imposing. I'm pretty sure that you need to know a secret handshake in order to shop there. No doubt this secret handshake is revealed when you are approved for your "black" credit card.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've walked by that store many times. Â Somehow, the guard at the door and the "shopping by appointment only" sign was a bit off-putting. Â I've never been inside I always just assumed that everything inside would be wildly overpriced and too expensive for middle class riff-raff like me.
It makes you kind of wonder how a 10 dollar an hour security guard determines who is upper class and who is "middle class riff raff" like you Kai... (where on the caste system does that put us non viking grill lower beings
smile.gif
) We never turn away anyone away from our store (who can afford to these days?) based on anything let alone looks unless there is shady activity going on. One day about 15 years ago after closing time my Mom is getting ready to leave close up the store and someone dressed in torn jeans when it wasnt all the rage, a T-shirt and a bandana knocks on the door to "look around". Â My mom lets her in thinking to herself that this is gonna be a waste of time, as our boutique is As high end in Children's clothing as they come and in those days was pretty unique. Turns out that she was the wife of an owner of a fleet of stores and happened to be lounging around on an afternoon. Undoubtedly any one of my employees would have turned her away based on looks being that it was after hours. JJF

banksmiranda

Reaction score
I called the 1-800 number. Apparently the new store, if they do open a new one, will open only in a year or two. I've heard that the NYC store they had on Fifth Avenue wasn't doing so well. He must've been hemorrhaging money with NYC real estate rental costs.

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
 i had to fight myself from buying a $450 cashmere tie (not really)
wow.gif
I am agog. But not really, given what I've heard about Bijan. Isn't it all re-badged stuff from other makers, anyway? Can anyone explain how Bijan developed his reputation for exclusivity, or provide a link to a history?

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am agog. But not really, given what I've heard about Bijan.

Isn't it all re-badged stuff from other makers, anyway?

Can anyone explain how Bijan developed his reputation for exclusivity, or provide a link to a history?
I think the exclusive reputation part grew because of the "exclusive" price that only about 1% of 1% of this planet's population could afford.

And I heard the quality isn't all that great, either.

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the exclusive reputation part grew because of the "exclusive" price that only about 1% of 1% of this planet's population could afford.
I guess that's one way to build a reputation. Probably need a lot of starting capital, though - wonder what he did before he was a clothier/perfume... selling... guy?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics