Bijan.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kcgreg, Apr 20, 2006.

1. kcgreg

kcgreg Senior member

2. dusty

dusty Senior member

Wildly overpriced status-symbol Italian suit label. From what I hear (on here), it does not match up to other ultra-high end suits (Kiton, Brioni, etc) in quality. Have you seen American Psycho?

"Choose a robe - not the Bijan - and come and meet me and our guest in the living room for drinks."

3. kcgreg

kcgreg Senior member

Wildly overpriced status-symbol Italian suit label. From what I hear (on here), it does not match up to other ultra-high end suits (Kiton, Brioni, etc) in quality. Have you seen American Psycho? "Choose a robe - not the Bijan - and come and meet me and our guest in the living room for drinks."
    [​IMG] There must be one heck of a marketing team to market their products like that at that level. USD 15,000?????[​IMG] It is not a Kiton!!! Maybe if I started a brand and market it at that level and better quality - I wonder how I'll do? No - should I watch American Psycho???

4. Full Canvas

Full Canvas Senior member

[​IMG] It is not a Kiton!!!

The manufacture of many (but not all) of Bijan's pricey suit/coats has been done by Kiton.

5. kcgreg

kcgreg Senior member

6. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

The manufacture of many (but not all) of Bijan's pricey suit/coats has been done by Kiton. __________________________________
    It has to be almost twenty years since Kiton stopped making suits for Bijan. They use other similar caliber manufacturers now.

7. kcgreg

kcgreg Senior member

It has to be almost twenty years since Kiton stopped making suits for Bijan. They use other similar caliber manufacturers now.

Are the handmade or machine made? Excuse the ignorance here.[​IMG]

8. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Are the handmade or machine made? Excuse the ignorance here.[​IMG]

I don't know. I am not one to take things apart or anything like that. I think that Brioni, Saint Andrews etc have been making the suits recently, but I really don't know. Most Italian companies do private label work for somebody.

9. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

When I think of wildly overpriced status symbol, I think of Dolce and Gabbana suits among movie stars.

10. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

I don't know. I am not one to take things apart or anything like that. I think that Brioni, Saint Andrews etc have been making the suits recently, but I really don't know. Most Italian companies do private label work for somebody.
    In the past, Belvest too, I believe.

11. Full Canvas

Full Canvas Senior member

I lost track of the time. I must blame that upon my timeless Oxxford garments! [​IMG]

Now that your remarks brought me back to 2006, I shall marvel that people are anxious to patronize establishments such as Bijan. Oh well, someone needs to have a store for such anxious patrons. So, why not Bijan?

12. pejsek

pejsek Senior member

I kind of like some of the Bijan stuff sometimes, mostly for the eccentric styling and the ridiculous aura. As iammatt notes, it's been a long time since their prime (which was really in the Rodeo Drive of the Reagan Era). I had some cashmere patch-pocket jackets (made by Kiton and probably dating from the late 1970s) that I liked quite a bit before the moths got to them. I also once found a blinding white wool Bijan suit at a thrift store which I gave to a friend.
    An oddity, I would say.

13. Lamo

Lamo Senior member

O.T.
    No - should I watch American Psycho???
    good movie... definitely worth a rent

14. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I believe d'Avenza also did Bijan, which has that aura of Stefano Ricci; tacky bits of clothing that made Italy famous in the '80s.

15. kcgreg

kcgreg Senior member

thanks guys - this certainly cured my curiosity.[​IMG]