• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bijan

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bijan is a famous parfumer, and also a designer (and marketeer) of some reknown. His store is most famous for being ultra-exclusive (his store on Rodeo Drive is open by appointment only.) From what little I've seen of his goods, I would peg him as "Old Hollywood", i.e. classy, but in an overstated, theatrical manner. I've heard that Michael Jordan is a big fan.

Of that particular piece, I would advise that the logo suggests that it is probably from the 80's or early 90s, and would suggest a pass unless you are a collector looking for vintage pieces.

Valmont

Reaction score
can't help to not think about Bateman's remark to the prostitute "choose a robe NOT the Bijan"

I really don't much about his designs but I have heard that Bill Clinton along with the exiled Persian prince are among his clientele

cristobal

Reaction score
I have to partially agree with comments posted earlier. His designs are a bit over the top, but there's no denying the quality. I'm a big fan. His clientele does include Michael Jordan and several exiled Iranian royals.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And the suits under the Bijan label used to be made by a Roman tailoring firm, D'Avenza.

thc

Reaction score
Yeah, Bijan is over the top, and his prices are astronomical. He used to have a boutique here in New York on Fifth Avenue that was also "by appointment only." But it closed. Rumor was that the owners wanted to raise the lease and Bijan balked saying that 5th Avenue was no longer the exclusive street it once was with the arrival of the Disney Store, the Gap, and other mass-market stores. Supposedly he'll be reopening on Madison Avenue, but it's been a couple years since the store closed, so who knows.

As far as the quality, I don't have any personal experience with Bijan clothes, but the style is typical old-school Hollywood--a bit over the top.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is Bijan over the top as in Versace flamboyance, and also regarding the price how astronomical is it; as in Kiton?

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is Bijan over the top as in Versace flamboyance, and also regarding the price how astronomical is it; as in Kiton?
from what I've seen, they are MUCH more than Kiton.

thc

Reaction score
from what I've seen, they are MUCH more than Kiton.
Yes believe it or not, Bijan is a lot more expensive than Kiton. In terms of the style, I would say more that things are exaggerated. I don't think you'll see too many wild patterns like Versace often does. But you'll see things like exagerrated lapels or silk shirts. It's very California clothing style, if that makes any sense. Bijan is a total '80s icon, in my opinion.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the quality of construction/material that much better than Kiton? After reading about Kiton, I can't imagine how one would improve upon their overall quality. I guess the people that shop at Bijan buy into it as being a Giffen good. After looking at the website , I find it way too pretentious. When I finally graduate and make my billions I'll buy some understated Kiton and save money... Imagine that, buying Kiton to save money...

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So the price is even more high than the custom suits of Kiton in which the master tailor from Napoli comes, and fits you? Also I suppose the "California" style is not as elegant, and flamboyant than brands such as Versace but more such as a Hollywood style I suppose. Very 80's. That remark reminds me of the famous Mugler tuxedo
biggrin.gif

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To clarify:

For me, Versace is very European, and for the very young and very flamboyant. I think Russian Mafia, Italian guys with too much hair and too much time, Elton John.

Bijan is not this. Bijan is old Hollywood, very new world, if that makes any sense. Think movie moguls in the fifties, those big houses in Beverly Hills where money is just outrunning class, guys with Botox injections and George Harrison tans and silver hair. For some reason, I always associate those hideous but expensive multi-colored cardigans with Bijan. If any of you guys are familar with Marol, I always think of Bijan as being in the same category - a little Baroque, a little overworked, and not particularly elegant.

PeterMetro

Reaction score
Think movie moguls in the fifties, those big houses in Beverly Hills where money is just outrunning class, guys with Botox injections and George Harrison tans and silver hair.  
I think you might mean George Hamilton. Unless George Harrison had a tanning thing going on that I never knew about. Digression: George Hamilton has two or three restaurants in every city he visits in which he keeps his credit card on file. He instructs the Maitre'd to add 25% gratuity to the bill and he never sees a check. Ever. Pretty slick, if you ask me.

For some reason, I always associate those hideous but expensive multi-colored cardigans with Bijan.

I think you may be referencing Coogi, an Australian company that makes bright, multi-colored sweaters favored by Bill Cosby and Latrell Sprewell. I have a monochromatic Coogi sweater - it was expensive, but excellently made.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I meant George Hamilton - Beatles on the mind, I guess.

And yes, I know that those sweaters are by Coogi - actually, a lot of companies make similar sweaters, I remember distinctly that Alexander Julian, a second or third-tier label, made a lot of these sweaters in the late eighties - the Cosby factor, I guess. But for some reason they (the sweaters, not the Cosbys) are inextricably linked to Bijan in my mind.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads