• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bigtime presentation–what should I wear?

nomovement

Reaction score
I found out today in one of my classes that at the end of the semester, a lot (10-15) of very important people are coming to my class's final critique. I was already under the assumption that there would be a few guests for the critique; but not this many and more importantly not anybody as important as the people coming. I planned to wear a pair of calf length dress boots, dark black (raw) jeans, and a white button up with a tie-which would be ok for 3 hours; but this critique, due to the amount of participants will probably be about 7-8 hours. I don't think I can handle a tie for that long and i've never had a shirt in my entire life that stays tucked in properly. I thought maybe a jacket might give me a little more room; but then I figured that I'd just defer to the experts. So what do you guys think, or what would you wear for an 8 hour critique/presentation? Keep in mind that if I'm too formal, I'll look silly standing next to my proffessors-who are more intelligent than stylish.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
be curious what you're presenting and why you decided to post in the Streetwear forum. i imagine answers would be different for a Visual Arts class compared to a Finance class.

-Jeff

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What discipline, what kind of school, what year, what kind of presentation, how old are you, what do you look like?

Business students often wear suits for 4th-year presentations; applied science students only do if there will be external clients wearing suits there; natural science students can wear whatever they want; etc.

As a general rule I'd say don't wear a tie without a jacket. And an untucked, fitted dress shirt is fine without a tie.

nomovement

Reaction score
architecture, 1st year; but also the 1st year of the 1st arch program at the top art school in the country. No clients; but there will be working architects and designers as well as the head of the dept and, worst of all, my proffessor's professors-which were described as our great-grandfathers. We have to look decent; but Jared's right its not a 4th year business pres. Oh and I posted on streetwear AND menswear. Streetwear is where I always post.

WatchGuy

Reaction score
I would go for a coat and tie or suit based on what you have said. But, if you felt that you were too dressed-up relative to your professors, I would suggest a v-neck sweater with a tie and nice pants (dark jeans may work).

I would say better to be over-dressed than under-dressed for this situation.

Reaction score
a sleeveless shirt by 2xist and some variant of black leather pants. let your freak flag fly!!

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by openlygay+proud
a sleeveless shirt by 2xist and some variant of black leather pants. let your freak flag fly!!
:troll:
troll.jpg
I couldn't find an openly gay one..

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suppose you should mimic what your professors wear when they have to present. I'd personally stay away from jeans. A sport jacket, slacks, and button up shirt (or thin sweater) would do. I don't think a tie is necessary. Oh, stay away from casual shoes.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Never having had a shirt stay tucked in could have to do with your shirts, but it also could have to do with the fact that (I'm guessing here) you mostly wear jeans. "Dress" trousers sit with the waistband up around your waist, instead of lower down on your hips like jeans. That makes a difference in terms of how a shirt tucks.

nomovement

Reaction score
you got me there lawyerdad.
I htink that watchguy has the best advice so far-even though the entries from openlygay+proud were super-helpful. If the presentation goes wrong I'll know exactly what I did wrong.
What do you mean by casual shoes dark n worn?

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what WatchGuy said.

and when you become the next Zaha Hadid or Rem Koolhaas, don't forget all the little people that gave you suggestions on how to dress.
cheers.gif

-Jeff

nomovement

Reaction score
I'll toast to that
cheers.gif
cheers.gif

one more question-for the boots, I was looking at these side zips; but maybe some polished chukka's or even black desert boots might be better-what do you think?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would suggest the following:

White patterned shirt with a soft collar.
Navy wool or knit tie, or a slim (but not too skinny) simple small pattern or rep striped tie.
Charcoal v-neck
grey flatfront wool flannel trousers.
Chukka boots.

Since you are not used to wearing suits and are not comfortable in them, you'll look that way. The v-neck is a nice alternatve to a jacket, and you'll look both professional and stylish without coming off like a stuffed shirt.

Studio27

Reaction score
suit with no tie and a button up or a v-neck underneath (dressed down suit so to speak) or slacks, a blazer, and a buttonup/v-neck. it's not full-on dressy, but not sloppy either. for a presentation that isn't business or isn't completely formal, i bet it'd work well.

WatchGuy

Reaction score
One more thing to add about the v-neck. If you do go that route, make sure the V on the sweater is deep enough so you can see the tie well. Some work well with ties, some don't.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads