• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Biggest Things You Think Are Wrong With Fashion?

ChadHahn

Reaction score
The biggest thing I think is wrong with fashion is fit. You look at photos of people who are supposedly into fashion and their clothes are too small. The pants only come down to the ankle and jacket hems and sleeves are both too short. They look like they bought their clothes at a thrift store and their only concern was that it buttoned around the middle.

Reaction score
Drone finance bro suits and aggressive designs, they look cheap and here in NY they are everywhere. Also super slim design they just look like the suit did shrink, and it makes people in them look like they are in plaster stiff and cannot move.

Last edited:

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score
Fashion as it is is totally unsustainable. People want to pay $5 for a shirt, and buy a dozen, instead of buying one that will last. Cheap clothing gets consumed, and then ends up in landfills...

And then, hyper-seasonal fashion, from fast fashion to high fashion, often gets destroyed before ever reaching a customer -- the former because they make in volumes nobody wants, even on discount, and the latter because they're unwilling to offer discounts.

The insane levels of consumption lead to not only environmental disaster and direct waste, but sweatshops, slavery, and oppression of every kind, all in the name of more.

adrianvo

Reaction score
1. Low rise trousers
2. Cheap fabrics
3. 60s boomer liberation from conformity (i.e. wearing suits at work), rebelling against aesthetics.
4. Infantilism - many men never grow up and prefer to look like a high schooler for the rest of their lives.
5. Terrible role-models, I mean, take a look at what type of men are popular these days.
6. Traditional masculinity (also in terms of style) is demonized in popular media.
7. People find value in wearing branded clothes and looking like a walking advertisement.
8. The rise of fast fashion houses and death of traditional tailors and workmanship.
9. Many men think that being interested in dressing well = gay
10. Many were raised by people referred to in #3.

SomeDude2021

Reaction score
The elitism that comes with fashion. The rich set and enforce the rules. The rich makes the standard cost too high for everyone else. The rich act snooty if you don't adhere to their standard. The dominant class also imposes their standards on everyone else.

SomeDude2021

Reaction score
^ WTF?

come on man, come back to earth.
LOL, tell me what's untrue about what I said. Despite the diverse population of various cultures, the majority of the world has adopted western dress when it comes to formal and business wear. All the major fashion brands push for thin white bodies as projections of their brand and a ton of them have committed major acts of racism. Fashion exploits countries with low wage economies for abusive labor practices while selling the stuff at huge markups to reflect euro-centric luxury. Those who decide what is appropriate fashion and style are of the wealthy. We follow traditions because of some aristocratic white guys. We literally change the way clothes are cut so that we can maintain the tradition of leaving a functioning button undone because of some dead fat white dude.

If you actually think there's no elitism in fashion, I would like some of what you're smoking.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess I just don’t have the kind of free time necessary to ponder such things.
I’ll be more mindful to not to emulate fat white dudes, dead or living.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think given the cuts of most "fashion" houses and the proliferation of low rise as de rigueur, it's absurd to think these choices were made for the benefit of fat white people.

SomeDude2021

Reaction score
I guess I just don’t have the kind of free time necessary to ponder such things.
I’ll be more mindful to not to emulate fat white dudes, dead or living.
But enough free time to try and ridicule me for vocalizing such things when asked about it. I wish I had that privilege.

I think given the cuts of most "fashion" houses and the proliferation of low rise as de rigueur, it's absurd to think these choices were made for the benefit of fat white people.
There's a reason you still don't button the bottom button on your suit. Cuz it looks stupid. It looks stupid because it messes up your shape and silhouette. And it's like that because suitmakers nowadays are cutting their suits so that it looks right when you DON'T button that last button. All because once upon a time, a British king who was too fat to button the last button turned it into a thing.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So hate to rain on your huff parade.

The King George Story involves waistcoats buttons generally. Also, there are numerous pictures of him with his waistcoat buttoned all the way down. It is in fact somewhat ridiculous to believe that a man who changed his clothes 6 times a day, was a known clothes horse, and had an army of personal tailors could not have had a waistcoat cut to accommodate whatever look her wanted.

More likely the bottom button on both waistcoat and jackets came about because the suit jacket evolved from a riding jacket. This heritage can be seen in things like hacking pockets on more "countrified" tailoring.

Ultimately your gripe seems a bit like "we wear clothes invented by old British people the way old British people wore them...sorta".

In which case..... what...do you expect?

SomeDude2021

Reaction score
not ridicule. Critique. Don’t be so sensitive.
Tell me what part of asking me "wtf" and proceeding to patronize me by telling me to come back to earth without any comment of merit constitutes critique and not ridicule.

LOL the point I'm making is there is elitism in fashion. To have people dismiss it by waving it off as "it's just the way it is, deal with it" is indicative of that.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tell me what part of asking me "wtf" and proceeding to patronize me by telling me to come back to earth without any comment of merit constitutes critique and not ridicule.

LOL the point I'm making is there is elitism in fashion. To have people dismiss it by waving it off as "it's just the way it is, deal with it" is indicative of that.

I mean.... you also diverted off in your second post into making it an ethnic/racial issue. You didn't simply confine it to "elitism."

And frankly most of your assumptions are rooted in what appears to be your own personal issues and outlooks.

Most of streetwear, casual wear, and workwear shows the influence of diverse ranges of people from different socio economic backgrounds.

If you are construing fashion as "classic menswear" then you are maybe closer (though still over simplifying). But CM these days is but a tiny sliver of most fashion houses dominated by streetwear and workwear.

If you really think that the white elite set all trends then please explain low rise pants and their dominance. Low rise came into CM as people got used to jeans (the ultimate non elite garment). And in general white dudes look ****** in low rise (because white guys already have short legs).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads