• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Biggest Things You Think Are Wrong With Fashion?

drulyfe5

Reaction score
General question, but just with everything from sustainability to design what is everyone's opinion on the biggest things wrong with the fashion landscape today? What would you fix if you could?

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Living in the Midwest United States I would say the biggest issue with fashion is 70% of men don't have any - cargo shorts, t-shirt and ratty tennis shoes, crocks or adidas sandals (often with socks) in summer and just replace cargo shorts with ill fitting baggy jeans in winter. Don't get me wrong, t-shirts can look good: just not the ones you see most men wearing. My brother-in-law has one pair of khaki pants - that are 4 inches too long and he's too cheap to get them hemmed so they fit - it's what he wears to weddings, funerals, all "dress up" occasions where he's not allowed to wear his cargo shorts (he wears them all thru the winter) :)

From a provider side, the problem is so much is horribly made - even designer labels. Thankfully, there are sites like this and others where consumers can learn about quality menswear manufacturers/providers. So, even when people want to dress better they very often end up paying a lot of money for items that just don't last.

drulyfe5

Reaction score
Living in the Midwest United States I would say the biggest issue with fashion is 70% of men don't have any - cargo shorts, t-shirt and ratty tennis shoes, crocks or adidas sandals (often with socks) in summer and just replace cargo shorts with ill fitting baggy jeans in winter. Don't get me wrong, t-shirts can look good: just not the ones you see most men wearing. My brother-in-law has one pair of khaki pants - that are 4 inches too long and he's too cheap to get them hemmed so they fit - it's what he wears to weddings, funerals, all "dress up" occasions where he's not allowed to wear his cargo shorts (he wears them all thru the winter) :)

From a provider side, the problem is so much is horribly made - even designer labels. Thankfully, there are sites like this and others where consumers can learn about quality menswear manufacturers/providers. So, even when people want to dress better they very often end up paying a lot of money for items that just don't last.
Having grown up in Montana I hear your pain haha. Fashion is maybe the least considered part of someones day here. Can't remember the last time I've put on a pair of cargo shorts also lol

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem is one of general public demand combined with unknowing ignorance of goods and poor or apathetic taste.

95% of those who "care" value fashion brand names alone, most of which represent cache and not quality.

From a sustainability standpoint the whole business is a nightmare. Because no one cares about quality, trend, churn, and replacement is king.

drulyfe5

Reaction score
The problem is one of general public demand combined with unknowing ignorance of goods and poor or apathetic taste.

95% of those who "care" value fashion brand names alone, most of which represent cache and not quality.

From a sustainability standpoint the whole business is a nightmare. Because no one cares about quality, trend, churn, and replacement is king.
I think that's one of the biggest glaring problems. The whole idea of how much overproduction there is and how harmful the whole process in general is. Will be interesting though to see what the remedy for that is

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It won't change until people stop demanding seasonality, go back to buying quality goods that last, and repair their own stuff again.

Aka never.

Shirts used to have cuffs and collars replaced. Shoes used to get resoled.

That pretty much only exists in high end goods now.

Last edited:

drulyfe5

Reaction score
It won't change until people atop demanding seasonality, go back to buying quality goods that lasts, and repair their own stuff again.

Aka never.

Shirts used to have cuffs and collars replaced. Shoes used to get resoled.

That pretty much only exists in high end goods now.
Great point. I remember going to resole some shoes with my buddy one time and it was essentially a foreign idea to every other person in our circle. Same with fixing tears or getting pieces hemmed etc

FunkCat

Reaction score

I went to high school in the midwest in the 80s. The only women I found attractive were the Christian girls (they had lovely natural hair) and the alternative girls (few and far between but with unique style). Everything else was big hairspray wasteland. I escaped years ago.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like a lot when parents and kids are dressed in similar sets and clothes. We also ordered mommy and me dresses at matching gear for me and my daughters. Really, we look so cute and nice like 3 dolls.
Different strokes for different folks. I would put this under the "what is wrong with fashion" category - turning children into "mini me's ". But, that's what makes the world an interesting place - not everyone has the same tastes in fashion/style.

InternationaI

Reaction score
The unsustainability of fast-fashion. You could also argue my critique of fast fashion is directly linked to the Capitalist system as a whole. Workers in Asia, often India, Bangladesh or Vietnam are working for $3 a day to mass-produce trendy clothes (usually directly influenced/ripped off from the runway or high street brands) to appease average consumers who want a trendy look for cheap. So many people that are into fashion don't consider buying quality, classic pieces of clothing that will not go out of style and the last years. This is partially due to the constant advertising and pressure to keep up with trends from social media, but also the fact that there's been a major shift towards consumerism, especially in the last 2 or 3 decades. Like most of the clothes in fast-fashion ends up in a landfill or incinerated within a year. We keep buying and producing an abundance of clothing without considering the long-term damage to the environment (Synthetic fabrics, microplastic pollution, pesticides etc) all for the sake of short-term gains in profits.

Last edited:

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The biggest sins of fashion are:

1. Fashion companies pushing gaudy, gross, casual stuff for classless rich people.

2. Low-quality goods replacing quality materials made to last.

3. The strange cost increases of good fashion over the years that is unique amongst consumer goods. Example: The quality of TVs has gone up, costs have gone down. Even when the quality is comparable in men's fashion, prices have often gone up in real terms, especially in what I care about most: shoes.

FPB

Reaction score

Agreed. Well, maybe here in the Midwest the % of men who don't care is probably more like 90% if not higher.

I would add that it's hard to find good quality stuff unless you live in a major metropolitan area. Even then the selection tends to be extremely limited. Unless it's socks or underwear I buy almost everything online.

Blondie87

Reaction score
I feel like the biggest problem with fashion today is the fact that most men don't want to make an effort. I was raised to dress nice. I don't look down on people who don't dress like I do but I just feel like I have a standard I hold myself to, the way I feel a grown man should dress. I get made fun of or asked "why are you dressed so nice?" when I show up somewhere with a button up shirt tucked into my jeans or chinos... I also think COVID has furthered the lack of trying since now everyone has an excuse to wear sweatpants everywhere

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads