• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear and fashion.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Biggest Things You Think Are Wrong With Fashion?

SomeDude2021

Reaction score
I mean.... you also diverted off in your second post into making it an ethnic/racial issue. You didn't simply confine it to "elitism."

And frankly most of your assumptions are rooted in what appears to be your own personal issues and outlooks.

Most of streetwear, casual wear, and workwear shows the influence of diverse ranges of people from different socio economic backgrounds.

If you are construing fashion as "classic menswear" then you are maybe closer (though still over simplifying). But CM these days is but a tiny sliver of most fashion houses dominated by streetwear and workwear.

If you really think that the white elite set all trends then please explain low rise pants and their dominance. Low rise came into CM as people got used to jeans (the ultimate non elite garment). And in general white dudes look shitty in low rise (because white guys already have short legs).
I mean, elitism refers to a dominating class so to spawn an argument about ethnoracial issues from there is not that much of a stretch.

I guess I am referring more to classic menswear, which also triggers down to work wear as they are heavily influenced by it. If you look at many industry standards for what constitutes a professional work outfit across the globe, most have adopted the western dress code. And even in areas of the west with diverse populations, there is an expectation to to conform to traditions held by the dominating class at the time. Many colors that are typically celebrated by cultures in Africa, Asia, and Latin America are muted in favor of the conservative stylings of British-American traditions.

ValidusLA

Reaction score
Sounds like you got a political axe to grind.

If you want to talk about classic menswear, almost no where in the west is anyone being expected to conform to CM anymore, except for in courts, government buildings and law offices.

Walk through midtown Manhattan or go to a meeting a Hollywood studio or a Silicon Valley campus - you will be hard pressed to find a suit. Democratized fashions have absolutely blown classic menswear out of the water.

Frankly, the only places you will find widespread suit wearing these days are in Asia. There are about as many Chinese in China as there are denizens of Europe + North America (of all races, not just white). They've got a lot of money, and make most of the clothing. I guess if they view the suit as a horrid colonial vestige foisted upon them then maybe they'll replace it.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite knitwear under jackets/sport coats

• Crewneck sweater

• Turtleneck sweater

• Long-sleeve polo

• Vest

• I don't like knitwear worn with jackets/sport coats

Results are only viewable after voting.