• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Biggest social changes in last 40 years

kennethpollock

Reaction score
I am 65. A lot has changed in the USA and it is hard to get used to some of them. They include, IMO, in no particular order:
(a) Decline in standards of dress
(b) Decline in manners
(c) More sexual openness and a decline in morals, due to a perversion of women's liberation and the Pill, IMO
(d) Less open racism and segregation (about the same, but mostly hidden now) and more political correctness
(e) Death of the inner part of almost all American cities (what little is left in most is mostly government offices and government built structures like libraries, sports arenas, etc.) due, IMO, to white flight and the automobile. This is hard for me to accept. I am an urbanite, but now, except for NY, I have to go to Europe to enjoy the pleasures of central city strolling, window shopping, etc.
(f) Loss of influence of the Church and religion (40 years ago, American ministers would have demanded and gotten the resignation of Bill Clinton)
(g) More gadgets such as computers, cell-phones, etc.
(h) More immigrants (illegal and legal)

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
40 years ago, people would have had the decency to leave Clinton's affair in private, like they did with JFK's.

Master Shake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kennethpollock
I am 65. A lot has changed in the USA and it is hard to get used to some of them. They include, IMO, in no particular order:
(d) Less open racism and segregation

Yeah, that is such a hard one to get used to.
crazy.gif

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
40 years ago, people would have had the decency to leave Clinton's affair in private, like they did with JFK's.

Cannot agree more. /\\

In last 40 years we lost our style and individualism, but did not loose our religious idiocy and here we are.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can't recall in which book I first read this (either Gitlin's The Sixties; or Halberstam's The Fifties) but the invention of the birth control pill has had a huge and fundamental impact on society.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j

Very well-put!

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
a) People don't wear social "uniforms" as much. I mean, how are you supposed to know where to classify someone if they don't dress like they're SUPPOSED to?!
b) More freedom to speak one's mind. I liked it when people pretended to like each other, it made sure that I was happy when all I ever did was skate along the surface, where I'm most comfortable.
c) Women ******** now. Some even enjoy it. Oh, how I long for the good old days.
d) Darkies drink from my water fountains. And I have to call them "African-Americans". This is ridiculous, we had perfectly good names for them and now we can't use them, just because they get offended.
e) ...And they're in the cities now, too!
f) Christians are completely oppressed. Their total control of the political agenda is even challenged, once in a while. Thank God we still have everything but the Supreme Court... and we kinda have that, now, too. It's really hard having to deal with people who don't think like we do, though.
g) People don't even talk to each other anymore, they just type on these "message boards" and these "chat rooms". Hell, you don't even know if a man is a man and a woman is a woman.
h) Darkies come in more than one type now.
i) Waiters have names.

(I found a secret decoder ring in my Cracker Jack today!)

(Sorry, this is the closest I'll ever come to trolling, I promise--I just couldn't resist)

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
General decline in horsemanship and musketry skills.
More crowded beaches.
Higher real estate prices.
More internet trolling.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
a) People don't wear social "uniforms" as much. I mean, how are you supposed to know where to classify someone if they don't dress like they're SUPPOSED to?!
b) More freedom to speak one's mind. I liked it when people pretended to like each other, it made sure that I was happy when all I ever did was skate along the surface, where I'm most comfortable.
c) Women ******** now. Some even enjoy it. Oh, how I long for the good old days.
d) Darkies drink from my water fountains. And I have to call them "African-Americans". This is ridiculous, we had perfectly good names for them and now we can't use them, just because they get offended.
f) Christians are completely oppressed. Their total control of the political agenda is even challenged, once in a while. Thank God we still have everything but the Supreme Court... and we kinda have that, now, too. It's really hard having to deal with people who don't think like we do, though.
g) People don't even talk to each other anymore, they just type on these "message boards" and these "chat rooms". Hell, you don't even know if a man is a man and a woman is a woman.
i) Waiters have names.

(Sorry, this is the closest I'll ever come to trolling, I promise--I just couldn't resist)

crackup[1].gif
rotflmao.gif

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
brilliant.

i) Waiters have names.

kennethpollock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j

Actually, except for the press, his family and probably some other politicians, no one knew about his affairs back then.
Now we have a more maverick and diversified internet press, like Drudge, so less is hidden from the public. Had JFK's affairs been known, he may not have been hounded from office (unless crimes were involved, as with Clinton) but his reputation would have been damaged.
If you stop to think about this for a second, we all know that the county was far more religious in the early 1960's. It may be now "hip" to say that if it knew, the public would have largely ignored such conduct back then, but that is simply DEAD WRONG. This has gone on for centuries. In his 1832 book, "Democracy in America," DeToqueville expressed astonishment that the American press and public invaded the most private aspects of politicians' lives with such unrestrained glee.
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/816/816-h/816-h.htm

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like social uniforms. It made it much easier, and perverse to flaunt the conventions, and then become really confrontational like the Hollywood Ten.

Today, you have to compete with all these self-described Bohemians, and Urban Outfitter types for "individuality". Joining the Communist Party while being better-dressed than everyone else isn't even a reason for being blacklisted these days.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We don't lynch and burn black people at the stake anymore.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i) Waiters have names.

People drink beers more nowaday.

cheers.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads