• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Biggest Purchasing Mistake (pre-SF)

minervau

Reaction score
I've done a lot of wardrobe renovation over the last few months after reading more SF and learning a bit. Now in retrospect I'm kicking myself for purchasing a Hugo Red suit during a very small sale in December for like $700+. It's a perfectly good-fitting suit, but the price + the fact that it's fused make me less than thrilled about the buy (I needed it for interviews, having just started law school this year).

What would you guys say was your all-time worst buy?

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
that is not a real purchasing mistake. youre getting good use out of it, and you say it fits well. but that is all that counts. poeple here get the misconception that paying anything more than clearance prices on anything is considered a mistake and money lost.

remember. these are retail prices and you are supposed to pay that much for something.

a mistake is something like, let say, a 200 dollar pair of GStar black jeans with a very strange cut. i used it only a handful of times. and now it just sits in my closet almost brand new and it just sits there.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I bought a 3B black suit, the thing was terrible. I'm a small 36s, it was a 38. Fused, low armholes, I shudder just thinking about it. And it was about $650. I actually feel bad about reselling it to someone else. It basically sat in my closet for 2-3 years untouched, save for a couple of interviews right when I got it. add in the black rubber square-toed shoes and I don't know WHAT I was thinking. actually, the simple answer is, I didn't know any better.

number 2, a pair of APC New Cure's. They were just totally the wrong cut for me and helluva uncomfortable. Bought into SF groupthink I guess. Lesson learned.

hst

Reaction score
Can't really point to a particular biggest mistake. One big mistake is a ill fitted Hugo Boss black suit. To be fair, I worn it quite a lot in my late 20s when i first got it. But now, it is just sitting in my wardrobe. Maybe I should be donating it to a thift shop soon.

Another was a few MTM mixed-wool trousers. I should have gone for pure wool in the first instance.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
a closet full of Armani Collezioni
facepalm.gif

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^^^^ got any 36s in there?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

bbhewee

Reaction score
A black MTM suit from a fairly reputable tailor off the Row when I know now I could have gone bespoke at Graham Browne for a bit more...

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HRoi
a closet full of Armani Collezioni
facepalm.gif

For me it was a closet full of Prada. The fit was perfect though.

bmf895

Reaction score
Black square toed slip-on "dress" shoes from Banana Republic circa 1999. These things could have doubled for snorkeling flippers. Think these, but low tops:
shoes_iaec1106472.jpg

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My mother insisted getting me a 40S Jones New York, yellow with blue window pane sportcoat. 3 button, dual vents. It's extremely stiff and since I lost 30lbs from 38S to almost 36S now, I can't justify wearing it. Granted it was the smallest one in the department store in the suburbs but still too big for me. I keep it in the closet, unaltered for I don't know what sake.

Hugo Boss wool overcoat, got it at the Harry Rosen outlet. I have no idea even with the 30lbs how I fit into it and it had a taupe colour that started shedding one year after I wore it. I have a feeling the salesperson just peddled it on me to get rid of it for $500 or whatever he charged.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
An YSL Rive Gauche suit ... sometime in the 70s.

But it went out the door long before the Internet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads