• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Biggest Loser

micbain

Reaction score
Anyone else watch this? I can't explain why I do. Maybe it's like watching a train wreck, you can't look away? I can understand being over weight but how does someone get to 400lbs plus? Isn't there something that clicks in your head after you hit say....300lbs? lol

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We held the casting call for the SE region and a pizza franchise set up a truck and seriously made a killing selling pizza to people trying to get on the show.

And you wouldn't believe the number of lawn chairs I saw!

micbain

Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
We held the casting call for the SE region and a pizza franchise set up a truck and seriously made a killing selling pizza to people trying to get on the show.

lol. Its like a bad joke. I bet they waddled all the way to those trucks.

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tivo it and watch it with my wife. I find it inspiring when people realize how important it is to prioritize their health. It motivates me to keep active and eat right.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How important?

Most of these people blow up again as soon as they're off the show. They have psychological issues. People got on Howard Stern's case for exploiting marsupials but this show is uninterrupted exploitation of the physical equivalent.

samurai

Reaction score
The wife and I watch the show. I find it inspiring, it probably helps a lot of people. It's about overcoming addiction.

Most people suffer from some kind of addiction, food is just one of many.

Common addictions - Money, sex, power, being right, being a victim, eating, drinking, drugs, religion, extremist politics and social views, "helping" people, collecting, hoarding, being angry, being sad, being oblivious.

What do they all have in common- anesthetising ourselves to what we don't like.

wiscogooner

Reaction score
Originally Posted by samurai
Most people suffer from some kind of addiction, food is just one of many.

+1

Everyone has their vices. It's good to see a show (despite however dumb some may find it to be) that shows people attempting to do something positive with themselves.

Unfortunately the conditions/surroundings they're in are hardly practical for most overweight/obese people. Not everyone is worked 8-9 hours a day by a personal trainer & nutritionists.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
the saddest part of the show is that they all get fat again after leaving

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why

Do you work for the show?

samurai

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger

Yes, very true.

It's a sad fact - only a small percentage of addicts are fortunate enough to overcome the addiction long term.

The show addresses the need for an ongoing program of excercise, but more than that is needed. A support group is the best long term solution. It's too bad that so many addicts avoid support groups (it means actually admitting to ones self that one has an addiction,) and out of the many who do join support groups many drop out.

JanC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger

I don't know how they expect them to keep all of it though. No way a person with a regular life can even remotely come close to what it was like being on the show.

micbain

Reaction score
So eating too much is now an illness? A disease? An addiction? How about a little will power? No, too much to ask?

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by micbain
So eating too much is now an illness? A disease? An addiction? How about a little will power? No, too much to ask?

Same can be said about drugs or alcohol.

micbain

Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Same can be said about drugs or alcohol.

Indeed but I don't know about comparing the addictive properties of say...cocain to that of say.. a corn dog.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by micbain
Indeed but I don't know about comparing the addictive properties of say...cocain to that of say.. a corn dog.

Probably both the same - increase dopamine levels in the brain and then you begin to crave the spike in dopamine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads