• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Biggest Fashion Regrets of 2010

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
i do like year-long proxy orders and have giant boxes shipped, however due to some circumstances i've delayed having this box shipped
How do you deal with customs? I've thought about something like you're proxy strategy but always pulled back due to fear of massive customs hit, do you declare everything as used clothing or just take the hit?
Originally Posted by AR_Six
Personally I feel I need to take a lesson from the fact that my most confidently unregrettable purchases of the past year have all been liquor
It's hard to regret any vice, I do regret missing an inverallan knit though.
Originally Posted by Desi
DSC_0374.jpg
the pair on the left

Nice! not much bondage stuff I'd wear, but I like those boots.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dunno how mailorderjapan does it...but usually when I proxy from hide-san its sent as a gift and he marks the item as costing 1 yen, lol. Dunno bout uncontrol's situation though since its a large batch, hah.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Du, I just can't believe how you've spent $10K on clothes in a year and have not a single piece of high fashion.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
according to my amex, i spent 22k on clothes this year. i think i regret it

Desi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lanvin f/w 09, same with pair on right.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
Du, I just can't believe how you've spent $10K on clothes in a year and have not a single piece of high fashion.
The most expensive item I bought was 700. I also think it was closer to 7000 total anyway. The only "high fashion" brands I'm into would be prohibitively expensive (eg Gucci). What does it matter?

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If ever there was a case of somebody needing to buy less but buy better it's you, Unc. How many polyester floral print shirts do you need?

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nil
If ever there was a case of somebody needing to buy less but buy better it's you, Unc. How many polyester floral print shirts do you need?
Buy better how, exactly? I'm buying from the brands that sell the aesthetic I want, and in 2011 I am planning to buy items from different brands and stuff that I don't have much/any of now. See: http://harajuju.net/Thread-2011-What...-buy-this-year

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
Buy better how, exactly? I'm buying from the brands that sell the aesthetic I want, and in 2011 I am planning to buy items from different brands and stuff that I don't have much/any of now. See: http://harajuju.net/Thread-2011-What...-buy-this-year

I think it's more of a case of "buy less of what you like and more of what we like" lol

It's not so much that, and I know what you're into - so from that perspective, think about this: the average young Japanese person (and I'm talking like 6-8 years ago, since nowadays Japanese people are only buying used/cheap **** for their 'style') has an extremely limited budget for clothes, $10K is a windfall.
You do this Japanese aesthetic that is very cheap in the scheme of things, the whole host-kei, onii-kei thing, they top out at like $2-300 for their most expensive pieces in Japan (trust, I had an issue of Men's Egg laying around here before)... and you even include home-base budget brands like H+M and Zara, yet you spent $10K in 2010? Does not compute, dude.

Put it this way: a Japanese fan of a brand like Julius or something could put together 2 'seasons'/4 real seasons of dedicated looks, including high ticket items like leather jackets, and barely breach $10K... and while their look may have an expiration date that passed in 2005, they still buy quality clothes, whereas your clothes are not high quality.

I honestly think I have not spent $10K on clothes since finding these internet fashion forums 6 years ago man. What is in my closet right now I've spent maybe $5-7K on. Not counting the basics in my underwear drawer, basically every piece is 'brand name' or from a high-tier designer... and I don't even actively search out deals on yahoo japan, etc.

I am just not understanding how you spend $10K on the clothes that you wear.

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably my MMM painted lows. Paid retail. I love them for what they are and am glad I own them, but I really don't have much to pair it with. I might end up putting them up for sale this spring if I'm not getting enough wear out of them..
frown.gif

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
Well, like I said, $10,000 was probably a bit off, closer to 7000. Also, $2-300 for the most expensive pieces? Not so much :x My leather x fur jacket retails at like ¥80,000. I don't buy from brands featured in Men's Egg/Knuckle really. I think you probably have some serious misunderstandings about the clothes I buy. You have a very minimalist style and a minimalist wardrobe to match, that's cool, but it's not my thing. For items like printed shirts especially, I don't like to wear the same one over and over because repetition is more obvious with something like that, whereas wearing solid t-shirts over and over isn't really notable. I'm getting kind of uncomfortable talking about this haha

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
why are you so concerned with his spending habits?

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lane
why are you so concerned with his spending habits?
I think it's fair, isn't everyone here concerned with everyone's spending habits in a roundabout way? In the same way they think people buying TR or j.crew aren't spending their money wisely I think they probably feel the same about me, which is fine. I'm far removed from the TR-loving types, however, because I really do care about my style and enjoy talking about clothes, and I read about a lot of stuff outside my "world" (I actually read topics here about KMW, Roy, EG, etc.) But I do like the clothes that I buy and I do learn a lot from this forum and adapt it to myself, and I'm looking forward to branching out a bit more next year. It's really my fault for mentioning how much I spent, and it's admittedly a bit embarrassing of a number
laugh.gif
Drew also seems to be under the impression I buy from Shibuya 109 and its ilk, but I strongly dislike most of those brands. I don't feel like the clothes I buy are "low quality". They're not high-end or luxury by any means, but I don't have any delusions about the clothes I buy. But I would prefer to stop talking about it now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads