• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Big wardrobe makeover, need your input (pics included)

Surreal

Reaction score
For a while now people have been telling me on styleforum and other internet fashion forums that my fits are all off. I agree, but then again I can't find a shirt that fits because of my specific body proportions (shoulder vs waist ratio). I was recommended by a member of SF to have all my shirts and jackets taken in. I am thinking of doing this, but before I do I want to ensure that I'm doing the right thing and won't **** up (again). So in this thread I will add pics with all the shirts I own and how they will look when taken in (a coat as well). Another question - how do I know which shirts I can wear untucked? I never got an answer for this. I was told the fabric and collar, and design matters, so...can any of these be worn outside? Also, only the waist can be taken in from what I understand. Won't it look strange bearing in mind that the fabric on hands will remain the same?

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's the right idea but things will still look slightly poofy tucked in if you don't get them darted.

You can wear shirts untucked if they aren't too shiny/formal and don't go below your crotch

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
After you get them skin tight, be sure to keep your shirt unbuttoned and wear a gold chain on your chest. The chicks dig it.

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i bet you can find a shirt that fits you much better, you body doesn't look like anything way out of the norm. Tailoring those shirts is probably going to cost more than it's worth.

The sartorialist image is ... ugh. I like slim clothes but nobody wants to see your nip outlines. I don't think, anyway.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just experiment with a shirt or two. I felt the same way a couple years ago, but got great results from a tailor.

Also, I don't think you're going to get much love from you choice of shirt color. Just use the info you get from SF to influence purchases in the future. Not that you have to run out and by a new wardrobe, but when getting new things, keep fit and the eventual tailoring in mind.

ktrp

Reaction score
I just took three shirts in to get taken in by a tailor.

The simplest approach is to add darts, which narrows slightly, though you can only go so far.

He didn't even suggest that, he just immediately said he'd take in the sides about 2" on each side and continue into the arms, narrowing the arms as well.

You could of course have darts and slim the sides.

Its a question of how much the tailor charges, and how much the shirt is worth.

Surreal

Reaction score
After you get them skin tight, be sure to keep your shirt unbuttoned and wear a gold chain on your chest. The chicks dig it.
Actually they do, and actually I might just do that. And don't laugh about that skin tight shirt, a guy here in SF with Schwarznegger as avatar was telling me how fit is everything and how slim everything should be.

i bet you can find a shirt that fits you much better, you body doesn't look like anything way out of the norm. Tailoring those shirts is probably going to cost more than it's worth.
That's because I'm not naked.

The sartorialist image is ... ugh. I like slim clothes but nobody wants to see your nip outlines. I don't think, anyway.
Don't you get all your dressing ideas fro that blog? The outfits posted on SF look similar to the ones found on sartorealist blog.

Also, I don't think you're going to get much love from you choice of shirt color. Just use the info you get from SF to influence purchases in the future. Not that you have to run out and by a new wardrobe, but when getting new things, keep fit and the eventual tailoring in mind.
Yes, I know.

I just took three shirts in to get taken in by a tailor.

The simplest approach is to add darts, which narrows slightly, though you can only go so far.

He didn't even suggest that, he just immediately said he'd take in the sides about 2" on each side and continue into the arms, narrowing the arms as well.

You could of course have darts and slim the sides.

Its a question of how much the tailor charges, and how much the shirt is worth.
That is exactly what I will do, but I will start with the cheapest shirt first. Also, I won't really be paying for it, since my family member with sewing skills agreed to help.

changy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Surreal
Another question - how do I know which shirts I can wear untucked? I never got an answer for this. I was told the fabric and collar, and design matters, so...can any of these be worn outside?

Any thing you wear in the office, don't wear untucked. Unless you working in fashion, a hedgefund, from home.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually they do, and actually I might just do that. And don't laugh about that skin tight shirt, a guy here in SF with Schwarznegger as avatar was telling me how fit is everything and how slim everything should be.

Lol you'll become the soviet bloc eason

puddin

Reaction score
you definitely don't wanna take your shirts in as much as the pictures suggest. you could definitely size down on shirts in the future to get a better fit off the rack. that guy's shirt from the sartorialist is way too small for him, don't aspire to that.

Surreal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by puddin
you definitely don't wanna take your shirts in as much as the pictures suggest. you could definitely size down on shirts in the future to get a better fit off the rack. that guy's shirt from the sartorialist is way too small for him, don't aspire to that.

Ok, but will it be alright if they don't fit in the shoulders slightly? Because that is the most problematic spot most of the time. I have to choose bigger sizes for everything since of wide shoulders and large upper back.

I am thinking of the mtm thing, but my last tshirt from local tailors was **** according to SF and I am afraid to order more from them. I am also not sure about ordering online, since I will not really know how the shirt will come out and some sizing info they ask I am not sure how to measure (the pics and descriptions are too vague)

puddin

Reaction score
Ok, but will it be alright if they don't fit in the shoulders slightly? Because that is the most problematic spot most of the time. I have to choose bigger sizes for everything since of wide shoulders and large upper back.

I am thinking of the mtm thing, but my last tshirt from local tailors was **** according to SF and I am afraid to order more from them. I am also not sure about ordering online, since I will not really know how the shirt will come out and some sizing info they ask I am not sure how to measure (the pics and descriptions are too vague)

i have the same problem. ~19" shoulders and a 39" chest. i think you could probably go a size down and be ok but that's your call, do what looks and feels good to you. or find a tailor who can make a shirt the way you want it.

for what it's worth, the shoulders on the shirt in that pic from the sartorialist are wayyyyy too small for him and you still like that look, so i don't know what you're worried about.

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude, you need to talk to the kunk, idk if he actually wears BD shirts, but if he has or does he could tell you which fits best otr for someone with a 12"+ drop, which is what you're suggesting you have, no?

I have broad shoulders too with about a 9" drop but Im also short and very thin so it might not help you out much but in my experience the best fit off the rack for me has been BoO, dolce & gabbana black label and surprisingly H&M black label slim fit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads