1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Big sigh of relief.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Thracozaag, Apr 26, 2005.

1. tdial

tdial Well-Known Member

that's great news. I've been having this pain in my elbow...what's that? A piano doctor? Well, I never.

2. philosophe

philosophe Well-Known Member

Congratulations, Dr Koji.

3. dorian

dorian Well-Known Member

That is wonderful, Koji... Congratulations. Few people are able to do what you do; you should be very proud.

Congrats again.

4. Keith T

Keith T Well-Known Member

Dr. Koji... My hero... (P)iled (h)igher and (D)eeper...

You da man, Koji. Best of luck to you.

5. gorgekko

gorgekko Well-Known Member

Congratulations Koji. It's a heck of an achievement and you deserve all the praise you're getting.

6. j

j Well-Known Member

Congratulations, Dr. Atwood. Just one step closer to that major label record contract, and then the tour, and the groupies... Give me a shout when you hit Seattle, we'll party at the Edgewater.

7. Alexander Kabbaz

Alexander Kabbaz Well-Known Member

Ummm. Are you the doctor we call for piano tuning?

My sincerest congratulations. If anyone deserved it, your music certainly did.

8. vc2000

vc2000 Well-Known Member

Congrats.  Well done.

I defend mine in about a week but I am going with a Carlo Franco tie.  So the competition is on Carlo Franco v. FIH.  If I don't pass I'm sure it will be the tie...

I was told that in about 2-3 years you can stomach to look at your disseration again - just put it on a shelf until then - for me it will be at least that long.  Style Forum has proven to be a great diversion...

Again congrats.

9. johnw86

johnw86 Well-Known Member

Congratulations. (And don't put it on the shelf for too long--you'd be surprised how quickly things change--with the possible exception of certain historical topics and dead languages...) [​IMG]

10. Bradford

Bradford Well-Known Member

Congratulations Dr. Koji...

That is great news - enjoy - celebrate - have a great time - and we already know you'll look great while doing so.

Bradford

11. stripes22

stripes22 Member

My profound congratulations too.  My theory:  Defend while 9 months pregnant; who can beat down a glowing pregnant women.  Not an option for us gents, so a 7 fold tie is the penultimate method for easing a defense.

(88keys/7fold tie)*sqrt (bulchers size)=p(h|d)=success*1000

weighted, of course, by the number of Goldberg variations--How many Dr Koji?

Kudos.

12. Carlo

Carlo Well-Known Member

So... what next? After the doctorate they generally kick yer arse out of school.... what's next for Dr. Koji?

13. Brian SD

Brian SD Well-Known Member

14. jcusey

jcusey Well-Known Member

Dude, it's got to be the tie. [​IMG] Congratulations.

15. FIHTies

FIHTies Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Buy a tie, get a doctorate... And you thought that the MBA online programs were the latest scam [​IMG]

16. thinman

thinman Well-Known Member

(darkoak @ April 26 2005,13:56) ...Just out of curiosity, which tie was it? any pic?
    [​IMG] Buy a tie, get a doctorate... And you thought that the MBA online programs were the latest scam [​IMG]
    If only it were as easy as buying a tie... Congratulations Koji.. It's not the defense that matters, it's all the hard work that led up to it. The defense is supposed to be just a celebration of your achievement. And quite an achievement it is..

17. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for all the sentiments; wish I could enjoy this more, but I'm stuck out in Indiana doing gigs (I'm broke [​IMG] ). My dissertation was on the life and recordings of the American pianist William Kapell, who was killed in an airplane crash at age 31 in 1953. He was the first big-time american pianist to hit the world concert-scene, and his death was a huge loss to music lovers all over the world (he's often referred to as the piano equivalent of James Dean). He was also a Juilliard grad, and my teacher at Juilliard was one of his few pupils, so it was a rewarding topic all around. As for being a "doctor" (a pretty much useless appelation in the music world, I"m afraid), I suppose I can ponder and contemplate deep thoughts on being unemployed. koji

18. Mr Checks

Mr Checks Well-Known Member

I've always been partial to the Richter / Sofia "Pictures": do you think it's worthwhile for me to get the Frick Collection Kapell too?
    Maybe just for the Copland (I have John Browning and like that version)

19. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Well-Known Member

Interesting article on Kappell in the NY Review of Books issue of March 24, 2005.

20. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

you never know - I knew somebody who made a nice living teaching music history and writting books about it, while allowing himself and his family the time to enjoy their music. good luck to you.