• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Big Shoes, or Gunboats with Suits?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Poast your support or objection in this thread.

I was tempted by some Aldens and (gasp!) even Church's yesterday. Did not kop but might soon. Liking this look lately. It's causing some controversy in the conservative business dress thread.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never been a fan of bigger bulkier shoes with suits, but then my suit pants tend to be pretty slim with no cuffs. I'm also a skinny guy, although you appear to be as well.

With looser fitting pants and cuffs, I think the look can work.

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After seeing some pics on the conservative business dress Experiment thread, I actually paired my AE MacNeil in Walnut with a mid-blue solid suit (white shirt and a navy pindot) last week and actually liked the look. Sorry no pics. Thanks..

S. Magnozzi

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Looks great if your shoe size is modest (I have no desire to emphasise my size UK10s further) and you're wearing trousers with some sort of coarser texture, think flannel or tweed. Would not wear gunboats with typical worsteds as it looks too incongruent.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like the contrast of a chunky gunboat with a slimmer trou. As such, I think gunboats can look good with the right suit for a casual look. With the wrong suit, it can look a bit Ma and Pa Kettle Go to Town.

Personally, I'm rarely in suits except for times when gunboats would be too informal and inelegant. So most of my gunboat wearing is limited to sportcoats.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never been a fan. Perhaps if you have a small foot, and are wearing a very casual suit, it could work, but on the whole I'd have to say I'm not a huge fan.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by S. Magnozzi
Would not wear gunboats with typical worsteds as it looks too incongruent.

I'll agree with this. A flannel or tweed or donegal suit or something with texture should work nicely. Just nothing too slick, but that's just me.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With a tweed suit, it can look very nice.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Are we talking longwings?

I like the look, but not on me with my size 12 feet. Throws out good proportions, if you care about such things.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Define gunboat.

I have some relatively sleek wingtips in various colors that I wear with suits all of the time. I guess some might consider them "gunboats" as they are not a typical plain oxford due to the brogue element. I also have big old Imperial longwings...and those are most certainly gunboats. I don't see any problem with wearing these with suits that are more along the lines of trad.

Mike

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
derbies are very common with suits in my homeland.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
I'll agree with this. A flannel or tweed or donegal suit or something with texture should work nicely. Just nothing too slick, but that's just me.
See, I like slick for this purpose. It's the type of thing where everything else has to be in order and the fit has to be right. Then the contrast looks deliberate. One disparate element often strikes me as interesting. Too many disparate elements, on the other hand, look jumbled, like the guy doesn't know how to dress himself. Sometimes we see this in WAYW -- just too many things going on.

Xenon

Reaction score
I don't like this on myself but that just because I am of slight build.

basically I think someone who is very tall and or with very strong build can easily pull of this look. it is not just the suit or clothes. In fact dainty shoes just look plain wrong on someone who is large regardless of the suit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads