• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Big shoe collection upgrade

jesbars

Reaction score
Hi all, this was one of my first threads:
http://www.styleforum.net/t/324420/ae-veronas-for-banking-in-brazil

At the end I bought two Veronas, one in black and the other in brown. It's almost the only thing I wear, one day the brown and black the other one. I really like the shoes, they are really comfortable for the long hours at work and I enjoy walking and looking at them.

I also have a pair of Massimo Dutti Black Cap Toe Oxfords, these are my "formal suit" shoes altough they are a little bit fashion forward and are more than 3 years old.

I had a good year at work and received a good bonus so I plan to buy some shoes to add versatility and functionality to my shoe collection, I don't plan to spend all my bonus obviously but I need your advice to make the best purchase decision.

First, I have decided to buy the Neumok in blue, this is (almost) not for discussion, I really like the shoes and I think are a good casual addition to my shoe collection, for a casual friday or a night out:

http://www.allenedmonds.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producti_SF4025_1_40000000001_-1

Second, it gets a little bit tricky, I want to add a wingtip (McAllister) the thing is IDK if I should buy it in merlot or in walnut, is the merlot too reddish or the walnut too clear?. The McAllister I think adds versatility and could be used with not so formal suits. Which colour do you guys think is better?

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF6215_1_40000000001_-1

Third, IDK if the next purchase should be another loafer (Patriot, Randolph or Urbino) in brown, which is better, tassel or penny loafer? And between pennies the Randolph or the Patriot? or a formal black cap toe oxford to replace the Massimo Duttis (Fifth Avenue or Park Avenue), or a double Monkstrap in bourbon (Mora 2.0) opinions?

Finally, to party I am looking at the suede/leather drivers/loafers from Cole Haan (~150USD) o chukkas from another brand, I don't like to spill a drink in +300USD shoes. If you know of any other brand that fits this criteria pls tell me.

Thank you for your suggestions, appreciate it.

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What clothing are you primarily wearing to work? Suits? Chinos and button down? Wool trousers with blazers? If suits, I would not add any other loafers.

If this helps, my own rotation includes a black cap toe, black wingtip, dark brown wingtip, walnut semi-brogue, dark brown dub monk, burgundy semi-brogue. I wear suits most days to work. I also have a medium brown standard-issue loafer that I very infrequently wear to work during the summer.

BTW, I think that blue Neumok is cool. Wouldn't wear it to the office, but like you said, night out. Could look good with jeans or khakis or a light grey trouser.

Last edited:

jesbars

Reaction score
What clothing are you primarily wearing to work? Suits? Chinos and button down? Wool trousers with blazers? If suits, I would not add any other loafers.

If this helps, my own rotation includes a black cap toe, black wingtip, dark brown wingtip, walnut semi-brogue, dark brown dub monk, burgundy semi-brogue. I wear suits most days to work. I also have a medium brown standard-issue loafer that I very infrequently wear to work during the summer.

BTW, I think that blue Neumok is cool. Wouldn't wear it to the office, but like you said, night out. Could look good with jeans or khakis or a light grey trouser.[/quote

One day a week full suit and the other ones wool trousers and button down shirts, sometimes a blazer.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

IDK if I should buy it in merlot or in walnut, is the merlot too reddish or the walnut too clear?.

I find shoes in the "wine colors" (burgundy, bordeaux, merlot) to be more versatile, for me, than are walnut shoes. This is largely due to the fact that I find both wine and walnut to be almost equally acceptable when my clothing is somewhat casual, but the wine shoes work much better with many of my more conservative suits. Naturally, exceptions do exist, and this tendency can vary with suit color and situation, but overall the wines just win out. For me. Naturally, your needs and biases may fundamentally differ from my own.

which is better, tassel or penny loafer?
The tassel loafer is much better if you want a tassel on your loafer. The penny loafer is much better if you don't want a tassel on your loafer. :)

Sorry, but ultimately that's just what it comes down to. Some people like tassel loafers, and some don't. Decide what you like, and you'll have your answer.

Some would maintain that the tassel reduces the formality of the shoe, making it less appropriate for business. Then again, many would maintain that this isn't so, in any meaningful, real world way, circa 2013 sense. And still others would insist that loafers are inherently inappropriate for business, whether they have tassels or not. (And I have no idea what the rules are in banking circles in Brazil, assuming you're in Brazil.)

(Fifth Avenue or Park Avenue), or a double Monkstrap in bourbon (Mora 2.0) opinions?
Quite a bit of difference between Fifth/Park Avenues, and a pair of double monks. Both types have their advantages and disadvantages, but they're hardly interchangeable. Decide which look you prefer, and you'll have your answer as to which you ought to buy.

Finally, to party I am looking at the suede/leather drivers/loafers from Cole Haan (~150USD)
Not familiar with them, but if they're actual drivers, buy them for driving, not for partying. Driving shoes tend not to be among the more suitable types of footwear outside the context of driving a motor vehicle.

Oh, and since you mention how you don't like spilling drinks on your shoes, I have to assume this actually happens to you on occasion. Such being the case, maybe suede shoes aren't the best choice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads