Big screen TV’s

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by imageWIS, Apr 26, 2005.

1. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Senior member

LCD rear projection and LCD flat panels are different products and bear decidedly different prices (flat panels are way more expensive). Neither one of these technologies has any problems with burn-in.

DLP sets can have more vivid colors and sharper, smoother images than LCD projection screens, but due to their technology which uses a spinning color wheel over a light source, some people see visual artifacts like rainbows. If you sit in front of one in a store and watch for a while, and don't see anything strange, you are probably fine. At some point there will be multi-chip sets that don't use a color wheel and thus have no rainbow issue--professional DLP systems are like that now.

There are also LCoS (liquid crystal on silicon) projection TVs that have higher resolution and good color, with no rainbow effect and no burn-in, but those tend to be larger and heavier than DLP or LCD projection TVs, and can have focus problems at the edges.

Easiest way to pick: go to a store that has well-calibrated sets, watch them, and pick the one you like the best. Or pick on price. I know people with all kinds of TVs and rarely hear complaints other than "I bought too small of a set to watch DVDs" or "this set is too large for this small room"

2. PHV

PHV Senior member

What about the Sony wega flatscreens? They are pretty clunky but I imagine their picture is pretty good?

My parent's plasma has burn in on the bottom right corner. I don't know if I want to go that route, way too expensive for something that doesn't last.

3. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Ended up getting: http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/televis...ails.asp?id=60 Hopefully, I can leave the contrast setting on low and rotate enough images to allow burn-in not to occur. What I don't understand is how come my Toshiba which was from 97' had no burn in problems, but technology that is 8 years more advanced has all these problems? Jon.

4. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Yeah, if I knew DLP is not susceptible to burn-in, I would have bought one, even if it does cost $1000 more, because to me its worth it to watch "˜regular' 4:3 cable TV through the 16:9 screen without:

A) Stretching the picture for it to fit onto the whole screen
    B) Causing burn-in from the side bars from watching to much 4:3 TV

Alas, after calling my local cable provider, I fell that the service has just not moved at the pace of the technology, thus in a way I am disappointed with my new TV, even though tonight when I hook up my DVD player to it, I imagine I will be happier.

Jon.

5. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Senior member

Flatscreens as in the LCD rear projection TVs? As posted above, I'm very happy with mine--43" of the latest generation. It is great with HD content and has a built-in HD tuner which some newer sets do not. Since it is only about 14" deep, it fits nicely in a narrow room. The only way to get much thinner than LCD projection or DLP TVs for the price is to get one of the low-end EDTV plasma screens, which tend to have lousy picture quality and are likely to die a fast, burned-in death.

6. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

7. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Update: Mits WD62525 (62" DLP with 2nd gen chip) being delivered tomorrow. I exchanged the Mits 65" CRT RPTV, and indeed the DLP cost $1000 more than the CRT, but the picture quality is much better, and it runs at 720p (sure, I'd rather have a HDTV that displays 1080p, but the $13,000 70" Sony Qualia is out of the question). As well, to anyone buying a new HDTV, I recommend 2 very important things: 1) Get an extended warranty, its new technology and likely to have its kinks, so be forewarned. 2) Go to: http://www.avsforum.com . It's the SF of audio / visual forums. Jon.

8. Horace

Horace Senior member

I recommend you not buy a large television.

9. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

No, please...next time post less specifics...

In other words: why not?

Jon.

10. Horace

Horace Senior member

(Horace @ May 02 2005,06:55) I recommend you not buy a large television.
    No, please...next time post less specifics... In other words: why not? Jon.
    tv bad. larger tv more bad. rot mind. like internet. yet one step oblivion. over-consumption. fulcrum of literal & symbolic excess.

11. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Senior member

My TV is a 14 inches. [​IMG] Usually, I watch my DVD on my 19" computer monitor because it's bigger. [​IMG] Luc

12. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

(imageWIS @ May 02 2005,07:01)
    tv bad. larger tv more bad. rot mind. like internet. yet one step oblivion. over-consumption. fulcrum of literal & symbolic excess.
    But yet you post on the Internet, and indeed have 888 posts on this forum alone... Jon.

13. Horace

Horace Senior member

(Horace @ May 03 2005,02:16)

tv bad. Â larger tv more bad. Â rot mind. Â like internet. Â yet one step oblivion. Â over-consumption. Â fulcrum of literal & symbolic excess.
    But yet you post on the Internet, and indeed have 888 posts on this forum alone... Jon.
    No irony slips by you.

14. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

(imageWIS @ May 03 2005,06:49)

No irony slips by you.
    Nor you, I see... Jon.

15. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan White Hispanic

The prices of these things sure have plummeted.