• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BiG pricing vs Japan

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Are the items at BiG approximately what you'd pay to have them purchased in japan and shipped here, or do they charge a significant premium for their stuff?

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe they are fairly comparable. The bit more that they do charge is entirely worth it for the ability to return though.

braidkid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, to convert the yen to US dollar, multiply by .01

For example, the Samurai S5000VX I recently bought are 24,740 yen or approx $247. I bought these from BIG for $285. You'll pay at least this much for a buying service so I wouldn't consider the markup too extreme. Plus, you can always send them back to BIG if you get the wrong size.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by braidkid
Well, to convert the yen to US dollar, multiply by .01

For example, the Samurai S5000VX I recently bought are 24,740 yen or approx $247. I bought these from BIG for $285. You'll pay at least this much for a buying service so I wouldn't consider the markup too extreme. Plus, you can always send them back to BIG if you get the wrong size.

24 740 Japanese yen = 207.916632 U.S. dollars

Estimate about a charge of 10 bucks per item, for shipping / -30 bucks (probably more) for wholesale, and I'd say their markup is decently higher than the 247 to 285 you propose. You'd pay for convenience and the ability to return, but it seems to come at a hefty premium.

Sabrosa

Reaction score
The conversion multiplier is actually closer to 0.0083. So, an item that costs 24,740 Yen would be around $207 USD if you were buying it from a store in Japan. It will obviously cost a bit more from the US through a delivery service once you add in all of shipping and service charges.

Like PG2G said, the advantage of buying from BiG is that you can return items if you order the wrong size, which (especially with items like jeans) is definitely worth the extra cost over using a bidding/delivery service.

Edit: Looks like kronik beat me to the post.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
24,740 yen is only $207 nowadays. I forget how much the buying services charge, but they aren't cheap. I ended up paying more for my PBJ than they are on BiG.

I'm sure they have to pay whatever import fees/taxes on this stuff so its not like they are overcharging. Look at the markup of a lot of the other foreign brands. 45rpm, for example. Or maybe Nudie.

braidkid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow, good to know it's actually .0083 conversion factor...thanks guys.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the only case i'd say it isnt worth it is if you can buy from the company directly like when samuari used to sell directly....

but with middleman makeups and shipping, it almost identical.

someone paid $309 shipped for a pair of samuari black to their house.

thats exactly what i paid including tax from BIG.

ny tax is so ******* much though, better off mailordering from BIG next time

wild style

Reaction score
Originally Posted by poly800rock
ny tax is so ******* much though, better off mailordering next time

Now thats smart! Duh, why didn't I think of that? Is tax more than the shipping costs though? I'm assuming it is, but by how much, I wonder. I haven't registered so I can't login to find out for myself. Anybody know?

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wild style
Now thats smart! Duh, why didn't I think of that? Is tax more than the shipping costs though? I'm assuming it is, but by how much, I wonder. I haven't registered so I can't login to find out for myself. Anybody know?

i corrected myself in the above incase you got confused about what i was trying to say....i'd go for BIG

wild style

Reaction score
Well, I live in Jersey, so by mailordering from BIG rather than purchasing in store, I'd avoid the NY sales tax.
wink.gif

Not sure how the shipping costs compare though.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wild style
Well, I live in Jersey, so by mailordering from BIG rather than purchasing in store, I'd avoid the NY sales tax.
wink.gif

Not sure how the shipping costs compare though.

ha, never even considered that...back to square 1...

Joe E Taleo

Reaction score
WIld style, good point.

Obviously I bought from him directly in the store, so I didn't have to pay shipping either.

Originally Posted by poly800rock
the only case i'd say it isnt worth it is if you can buy from the company directly like when samuari used to sell directly....

but with middleman makeups and shipping, it almost identical.

someone paid $309 shipped for a pair of samuari black to their house.

thats exactly what i paid including tax from BIG.

ny tax is so ******* much though, better off mailordering from BIG next time

wild style

Reaction score
Joe, I wouldn't be posting that on the internet. Wouldn't want to get anybody in trouble.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think its ok. you never get charged sales tax out of state in my experience.....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads