• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Big Ponies and Diamonds.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was recently at the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance and noticed two things, namely two that involved fashion.

There were numerous instances of people wearing those Polo Big Pony shirts which I feel was tacky; and the second more tackier aspect was of huge diamond encrusted wristwatches worn in very conspicuous positions as if they were prison cuffs. Usually, the two above fashions were worn with Etro-type sportcoats--too long sleeves and ill-coordinated pocket handkerchiefs--and those ungainly Bono-esque sunglasses. A lot of the "sockless" look was seen but not endorsed. There was also the gauche display of too many men smoking too many cigars.

In fact, this event has become a sort of "society" event with lots of that contrived "You Guys" attitude and too much crowding; it's interesting how many people came for the somewhat high minimum ticket price of $150.

Additionally, the auction company wanted to charge $30 just to view an auction--I informed them that Sotheby's nor Christie's practice such (schlocky) customs when participants enter.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Additionally, the auction company wanted to charge $30 just to view an auction--I informed them that Sotheby's nor Christie's do not practice such (schlocky) customs when participants enter.

Did you pay it?

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
I haven't been since my Sr. year of HS (2001); but, I still imagine it is the typical Carmel/Monterey Bay "dress up attire" as you mentioned of some pleated pants, loafers, a polo shirt and a sportcoat. Those looking at the cars will have them from Macy's/Polo and those bring/buying a car will have them from Former Saks/Wilkes Bashford.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing

There were numerous instances of people wearing those Polo Big Pony shirts which I feel was tacky; and the second more tackier aspect was of huge diamond encrusted wristwatches worn in very conspicuous positions as if they were prison cuffs. Usually, the two above fashions were worn with Etro-type sportcoats--too long sleeves and ill-coordinated pocket handkerchiefs--and those ungainly Bono-esque sunglasses. A lot of the "sockless" look was seen but not endorsed. There was also the gauche display of too many men smoking too many cigars.

That pretty much described the Palm Beach Supercar show to a tee. You think with all that money, they could afford some taste, but alas...

Jon.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The attendees of the Auburn Show could be mistaken for the crowd at Six Flags.

Pariolino

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
That pretty much described the Palm Beach Supercar show to a tee. You think with all that money, they could afford some taste, but alas...

Jon.

My life experience tells me that supercar owners are among the least tasteful people around. This is not wholly surprising as most supercars built in the last 20 years are as tasteless as their misguided owners. Throw Palm Beach, which has not known good taste in years, into the mix and I fail to see your surprise.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pariolino
My life experience tells me that supercar owners are among the least tasteful people around. This is not wholly surprising as most supercars built in the last 20 years are as tasteless as their misguided owners. Throw Palm Beach, which has not known good taste in years, into the mix and I fail to see your surprise.

I was being facetious. I fail to see how you missed that.

Jon.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonylumpkin
Did you pay it?

No; additionally you could get a "free pass" with the purchase of a $100 catalogue.

Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
I haven't been since my Sr. year of HS (2001); but, I still imagine it is the typical Carmel/Monterey Bay "dress up attire" as you mentioned of some pleated pants, loafers, a polo shirt and a sportcoat. Those looking at the cars will have them from Macy's/Polo and those bring/buying a car will have them from Former Saks/Wilkes Bashford.

I noticed a lot of Italians this year and some of them were better dressed in that ubiquitously Italian "casual" style.

Originally Posted by Tomasso
The attendees of the Auburn Show could be mistaken for the crowd at Six Flags.

Fortunately, there were less shorts and sandals than one would have expected. But the sunglasses they wore were just as offensive.

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went last year (I was at the Woodward Dream Cruise in Detroit this last weekend instead) and it was as expected, not a dress to impress situation.

I work in the automotive industry and go to a lot of these events and basically if you have the money (or had access to cheap credit) to afford (lease) one of these classics, you look alright. Or what passes for alright.

Supercar people, yeech. I was at a Lamborghini owners event this year and they dressed like russian hookers...I am talking about the men here, don't get me started on the 'trophy wives/nieces'.

The crowd at the Concourse show, the auctions and the Quail, which is another event the day before, all dress in the SoCali/Palm Beach look. Tommy Bahama shirts and shorts or silk trousers, no socks and a Montecristo (Dominican, of course). Basically your real estate broker on a Marhsalls binge.

The cars though, they are nice. Did I mention that I really want a 1967 Maserati Ghibli? ****, I want one soooo bad.

J'aimelescravates

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Concourse in Greenwich Connecticut last year was simply a beautiful show and, at least on the day I attended, the weather couldn't have been better. Lots of colored shorts, khakis and navy blue blazers. Lots of polos, boat shoes and, sadly, lots of t-shirts and big shield sunglasses.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads