• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Big-Lawyers, thoughts on these replies?

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've only had those "standard" questions like <5% of the time. Basically never. Its usually more conversational.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The "What I thought" for #6 sounds strangely familiar..........

When I really want to have fun, I grab my "Big Butt Sluts # 24" DVD, a bottle of Bourbon, and a bottle of lube. By the end of the night, both bottles are empty, and my room smells like **** and puke.

samblau

Reaction score
Law is a joke. I didn't apply to a temp position today because it was for "more than 40 hours per week" at a flat rate of $600 per week - taxes, commutation etc. Thats the same amount, maybe even less than what unemployment insurance pays. A buddy of mine was removed from an interview for calling a female partner "soulless".

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by samblau
Law is a joke. I didn't apply to a temp position today because it was for "more than 40 hours per week" at a flat rate of $600 per week - taxes, commutation etc. Thats the same amount, maybe even less than what unemployment insurance pays. A buddy of mine was removed from an interview for calling a female partner "soulless".

That sucks. Will someone actually take that job?

AintDatRite

Reaction score
Will someone actually take that job?
Probably... CNN this morning was talking about how the economy is affecting lawyers:

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Employment opportunities for legal professionals have traditionally been plentiful - and lucrative. But as the economy has dried up, so too have those jobs.

The employment market for new law graduates has remained relatively strong and stable since 1997. And last year was the sector's strongest showing in 20 years, with 92% of graduates finding jobs in their field, according to the National Association for Law Placement. But that's beginning to change.

The legal industry lost 1,100 jobs in October, the eighth consecutive month of decline, according to the Labor Department's most recent data. Which means the 150,031 students who were in enrolled in law school last year face a job market that is contracting for the first time in recent history.

"Law firms are caught up in the same reversionary concerns that everyone else is," explained John Challenger, chief executive of global outplacement firm Challenger, Gray & Christmas.

"There's a lot of legal work generated by the economic growth engine and the financial industry," he added, and with both the economy and the financial industries stalled, the need for law firms shrinks.

"Large firms are cutting back because of a lack of merger-and-acquisition activity," added Michelle Pierce Stronczer of Pierce Stronczer Law in Cleveland.

In the past several months, some of the nation's largest law firms, which also recruited and hired the most aggressively, have started laying off lawyers and staff members. This fall, San Francisco firm Heller Ehrman shut down all together, putting nearly 700 attorneys out of work.

That means recent graduates not only face experienced competition for limited jobs, but also hefty student loan bills. "Recent grads are going to have a hard time," Pierce Stronczer said.

rest of story at cnn

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It still amazes me that law schools are charging $40k+/year for tuition. Not that I'll be heading back to law school any time soon, but that's pretty fucked up.

Pelikan2

Reaction score
Those are pretty funny. As someone who just finished the 2L law interview process, I recognized many of those questions and recall most of my canned answers. Oddly, the better the firm, the fewer of those banal questions I had to answer.

Pelikan2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
It still amazes me that law schools are charging $40k+/year for tuition. Not that I'll be heading back to law school any time soon, but that's pretty fucked up.

I'm going to be paying off my loans forever. It's seriously insane, and yet here I am.

Ag229487

Reaction score
Law degrees are pretty versatile though so you don't necessarily have to work at a law firm when you graduate.

But those interview questions/answers are on point and pretty damn funny - have yet to hear the plant questions though.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Unless you have some aching desire to practice law, I don't see the point in going into debt up to your eyeballs to get a piece of paper. A lot of people claim that they don't want to practice law after LS...uhh, then why are you going?

LS bestows upon its attendants a pretty specific skill set. People tend to think that to be a politician, lobbyist, government bureaucrat, etc., you are required to have a JD. That's just a load of horseshit. Politics is about mastering the system, not studying case law.

I feel bad for the thousands of poli sci majors that enroll in law school thinking it's the "logical next step" to a career in politics. That's just not the case.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ag229487
Law degrees are pretty versatile though so you don't necessarily have to work at a law firm when you graduate.
Not true, at least not anymore.
Originally Posted by Connemara
You are now worthy of heart to go to law school.
devil.gif

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ag229487
Law degrees are pretty versatile though so you don't necessarily have to work at a law firm when you graduate. But those interview questions/answers are on point and pretty damn funny - have yet to hear the plant questions though.
This is a pretty common LS admissions pitch but I have seen multiple studies (one from the ABA IIRC) that sort of dispel the myth of gaggles of lawyers working in all sorts of diverse professions.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads