• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Big enough...now what?

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I've been doing a hypertrophy plan and supplementing creatine for a while and i've gotten to the point that if i get any bigger i'll get stocky. However, i want to keep working out because i rather enjoy it, and I don't want to lose what i've gained. From where it stands, it looks like my options are: 1) Stop supplementing creatine and keep with the hypertrophy plan 2) Switch to strength training 3) Work on endurance However, i'm not sure which of these would be best. I am already pretty lean, and I would like to keep most of the mass that I have (however, getting slightly smaller wouldn't be the end of the world, as it would make some of my pre-swole clothes fit slightly better)
laugh.gif
I guess my question is, which is the best plan of action if i want to keep the aesthetics but get more "fit?"

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
Isn't 95% of weightlifting just maintaining what you have?

Doesn't creatine stop working after a while?

Pics would help.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All about diet, bro. If you keep your diet clean, eat at your proper maintenance level and lift big you'll stay in the same ballpark.

One option, if you want to maintain this size while getting leaner would be to do a long, slow, recomposition.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Creatine isn't something you want to use all the time. It's recommended that you cycle it. I would take two or three months off and then continue after that.

If you just want to maintain what you have, eat at a maintenance level. You can still do big lifts and progress there without putting on size if you are only eating to maintain.

I'd also suggest messing around with different lifting programs and/or lifts you haven't done much of. Just keep mixing it up so it stays fresh and enjoyable.

I know some people like to start fine tuning when they reach their optimal size goal. That usually means cutting for an even lower body fat percentage.

Congrats on reaching your goal, by the way.

imhotep

Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
Creatine isn't something you want to use all the time. It's recommended that you cycle it. I would take two or three months off and then continue after that.
why do you say this?

Rikkar501

Reaction score
Originally Posted by greg_atlanta
Isn't 95% of weightlifting just maintaining what you have?

Doesn't creatine stop working after a while?

Pics would help.

No. There is no reason to cycle creatine, it doesn't work like that. Supplementing creatine increases intramuscular stores of creatine; once the muscles are "full" of creatine, you simple can't add more so the level remains constant. If you cycle off creatine your intramuscular stores will decrease to their original level; if you then cycle back on creatine the intramuscular stores will go right back up to where they were before you cycled off. End result: you cycled off for absolutely no reason.

GN, stick with the creatine and work on leanness and strength. You can increase both those areas without further hypertrophy.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eat at maintenance and you won't grow any bigger. Eat a clean diet with enough protein and you'll be fine.

uvmboi13

Reaction score
If you're not 8 inches or bigger, you're not big enuff.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hendrix
This, plus a decent diet is the answer.
Alright, which program would you recommend? I did about 6 weeks of SS but i got kind of sick of it. Also, my diet is really good: I don't eat meat, but i eat plenty of protein and everything else is pretty lean. However, I mostly just eat when I'm hungry and haven't done much in the way of calorie counting for maintenance. Consensus on the creatine? Drop it or no? (also, here's a pic of my torso if anyone is curious. My legs are similar in terms of size/definition. I'm sure it's not all that impressive, but for my height, it's as big as I'd like to go. Also, i am slightly embarrassed of posting a picture of myself shirtless on the interwebs)

TeeKay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GraphicNovelty
Alright, which program would you recommend? I did about 6 weeks of SS but i got kind of sick of it. Also, my diet is really good: I don't eat meat, but i eat plenty of protein and everything else is pretty lean. Consensus on the creatine? Drop it or no?
Creatine bloats me and makes me retain water. Within a few days of stopping it I usually get noticeably leaner/more cut. What I'd do if I were you is drop the creatine and do reps of 4-8 each set. Those reps usually help me maintain size and still gain some strength. edit: Just saw the torso pic, too. If you drop the creatine you'll have a sweet six pack in a week or so.

captmomo

Reaction score
Are you taking creatine daily or solely on your workout days?
I believe it is now established that you no longer need to take creatine daily or "load" it for it to be effective. At this point I would say go with the strength training and add in endurance work on alternate days while maintaining the same calorie intake. If you do see yourself getting more definition, drop the calories a little untill you see effect.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think you look pretty good (no ****)

I say you maintain and maybe start cutting a bit and get ******* shredded.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GraphicNovelty
Alright, which program would you recommend? I did about 6 weeks of SS but i got kind of sick of it.

Also, my diet is really good: I don't eat meat, but i eat plenty of protein and everything else is pretty lean. However, I mostly just eat when I'm hungry and haven't done much in the way of calorie counting for maintenance.

Consensus on the creatine? Drop it or no?

(also, here's a pic of my torso if anyone is curious. My legs are similar in terms of size/definition. I'm sure it's not all that impressive, but for my height, it's as big as I'd like to go. Also, i am slightly embarrassed of posting a picture of myself shirtless on the interwebs)

You want something with a few of the olympic lifts in there, because that gives a fair bit of energy expenditure so you won't get too big unless you eat heaps. It's quite possible to get really strong without being that big.

Probably an intermediate program. I like Bill Starr's 5x5. You will have to calorie count though or you'll get bigger.

i'm sorta doing a variation of Bill Starr's:

Monday:
Low bar back squat
Bench
Powerclean

Wednesday:
Pullups
Deadlifts
Military Press

Friday
Front Squat
Incline Bench
Pendlay row.

Just keep the reps low, and keep up a diet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads