• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Big Date Monday Night - Dress Me For Success

SpartanUndressed

Reaction score
OK, here it goes...

I'm 30 years old, 5'11", 180 lbs with an Italian/olive complexion. People tell me I look best in black.

I have little fashion sense, although I do already own some of the staples that have been recommended here. The date - dinner at a nice restaurant and maybe drinks.

Budget: Think J Crew rather than Prada.

Deadline: Quick, Need some suggestions so I can go out and buy these asap, delivery will not work so the items need to be from regular stores like banana republic, j crew, club monaco, whatever.

Sorry, but no pics of date.

Thanks in advance styleforum! Alright, ridicule or recommend away.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How am I supposed to recommend anything without knowing what you already have in your closet to choose from? Or what sort of "nice restaurant" it is? Or what sort of woman you're seeing?

In lieu of this information I can only say navy blazer, white shirt with open collar, and dark fitted jeans. Ditch the jacket at the door as the situation requires.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpartanUndressed
Sorry, but no pics of date.
You're a long-time lurker if you already knew that we were going to ask for that.
laugh.gif

it's ok ma'

Reaction score
Even if you find something that somewhat fits you well at a good price, how do you expect to get it tailored and ready before Monday night? I imagine that the sleeves would need some adjustments, and maybe even the waist for that tailored clean look. Stick with what you have, hopefully these things already fit you well and are tailored.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if it's not a very nice restaurant, just wear a button down untucked, top two buttons undone, and jeans... you don't want to look like you're trying too hard to dress up for her, or you give her the power. Also, you don't want to go to the other spectrum and look like a bum. Keep the buttondown shirt simple, no pockets. I like solid colors, but if you have to do stripes, keep it to two colors. Just my thoughts and opinions.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where are you located? What kind of restaurant? Not enough information.

Anyway, for a first date I'd wear nice slim-fitting cotton pants, a well-fitting subtle shirt (think light blue, or light pink if you're adventurous) and a sweater or jacket on top. No tie, that's just too much nowadays. Polished dress shoes, no square toes.

Basically, smart casual. You need to be dressed well enough for her to focus on you and your personality. Nothing flashy or fancy.

If I were you and I had no jacket to wear, I'd just wear a sweater. It's very rare to find a well-fitting jacket in one day at the mall.

Post pics!

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wear something nice that you feel comfortable in. c'mon brah

dune

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threadbearer
You're a long-time lurker if you already knew that we were going to ask for that.
laugh.gif

It's the internet man.

jkirk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tony Romo
if it's not a very nice restaurant, just wear a button down untucked, top two buttons undone, and jeans... you don't want to look like you're trying too hard to dress up for her, or you give her the power. Also, you don't want to go to the other spectrum and look like a bum. Keep the buttondown shirt simple, no pockets. I like solid colors, but if you have to do stripes, keep it to two colors. Just my thoughts and opinions.
+1

SpartanUndressed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by intent
How am I supposed to recommend anything without knowing what you already have in your closet to choose from? Or what sort of "nice restaurant" it is? Or what sort of woman you're seeing?

In lieu of this information I can only say navy blazer, white shirt with open collar, and dark fitted jeans. Ditch the jacket at the door as the situation requires.

Good point, hopefully this gives you guys something to work with - Dark fitted jeans is what I was thinking. I have a number of tailored sport coats in my closet including solid black, dark blue, light blue, checkered jackets in black/white, blue/black and striped sport coats in light gray/white and dark gray white.

Originally Posted by Axle
I bet the girl isnt even hot.

I better post a picture of her to prove to you that she is...

Oh wait, i see what you did there.
biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by Threadbearer
laugh.gif

smile.gif

Originally Posted by it's ok ma'
Even if you find something that somewhat fits you well at a good price, how do you expect to get it tailored and ready before Monday night? I imagine that the sleeves would need some adjustments, and maybe even the waist for that tailored clean look. Stick with what you have, hopefully these things already fit you well and are tailored.

That's very true. I've posted my staples above since I won't be able to get a jacket tailored in time. Appreciate any advice on how to spice up what I already have into something a bit more interesting.

Originally Posted by Tony Romo

Really appreciate these thoughts. It's not a place where a tie and jacket are required, but it's a nice place. I'm not sure I have worn an untucked shirt in 10 years though.
laugh.gif
Is that really acceptable? She's a pretty style conscious person, and I see her just about everyday (so she knows my wardrobe already by heart) - which is why i'm looking to add something new and change it around a bit.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

JonasAberg

Reaction score
Dress however you feel like. Never try to figure out what a woman's expectations are so you can meet them. It's a sucker's game.
Wear what you like. If she doesn't like it - her problem.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JonasAberg
Dress however you feel like. Never try to figure out what a woman's expectations are so you can meet them. It's a sucker's game.
Wear what you like. If she doesn't like it - her problem.

I refreshed and saw this. Yes! Thank you! That is excellent advice. I do this and it works.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if you don't wear pink or purple often, try one of the two... especially purple. It's a very nice color that a lot of girls like, but not many guys wear.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics