1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Big Brothers Big Sisters- Any experience?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by StephenHero, Jul 5, 2010.

1. pravda

pravda Senior member

I have been a Big Brother for years and the mentoring experience has been a life changer for my mentees. I exposed them to college and my network of professionals and they have learned how to be successful. One is on track to being a millionaire from meager meager beginnings. Just don't do it if you can't commit for at least 2 to 3 years.

2. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

How do you bow out of something like being a big brother, even after putting in decent time?

3. pravda

pravda Senior member

It's not about bowing out in all cases. Sometimes the kid becomes disinterested, life changes, time constraints etc. But I have on the other hand known life-long friendships resulting in successful business ventures and legacy changing positive outcomes resulting from the mentoring experience.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
  4. RandallGlockzin

RandallGlockzin New Member

Yes. Here is my story. Takes place in West Michigan I was matched with a 13 year old boy. We became good friends right off the bat. The problem was his immediate family. Mom is involved in a hostile divorce with her ex-husband. Her new husband has drug felonies and domestic violence. My littles twin brother was also matched with a big. We lived in rural farm country actually about 5 miles apart and figured out we attended the same church of about 1,000 members when we first met. Its the parents that were the whole problem. I felt in my gut mom was using the program as a weapon against her ex-husband to rub it in on how dysfunctional she says he is. Her ex-husband would have sit down chats with me at various restaurants to pump me for information my little might be saying against his ex. Incidentally he never even purchased a coffee for me ever. Multiple court battles where twins were used by both parents against each other. Parents would make up allegations against the other parent with CPS involved all the time, police visits pretty regular. Just horrible. Everything went good, until father won more custody about 9 months later and informed me at another sit down that Big Brother is only for kids with no dad around or alive and his son was misplaced into the program by his ex wife. 1 year comes up. I get a call from Big Brother people and they say "relationship is over - allegations have been made against you and were not discussing any further" They also informed me that Big Brother would send me a nasty letter cutting me off and its not open for discussion and the workers hung up on me. So to me that is another problem. Big Brother Big Sisters through me under the bus. I haven't heard from them since the phone call. Haven't heard from littles family or CPS or cops or anything in over 5 months. So good luck. Be careful.