• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Big and Tall Sizes: Where do you guys go for your top notch clothes?

bigj93702

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Guess I will start: But first a rant: Only Polo Ralph Lauren, Robert Graham and Ermenegildo Zegna seem to carry big and tall sizes. Being a XXXX Large guy who wants more than WalMart Clothes - I am certain there are more guys like me - but there seems to be only a few designers making clothes our size. I have tried to squeeze into Vercace 3x and other "Euro or Slim Fit 3x sized shirts - only to look like SNL's famous Chris Farley - AKA a Pilsburry DoughBoy fat guy wearing under-sized clothes. Not good.

So where do you guys go? Are there any good consignment (used clothes are fine) shops in California that would warrant me driving a few hours? Suggestions?

As a newbie here - I have LOVED the "folded shirt Appreciation" thread and some of the custom Bespoke reviews. However, it seems that custom shirts by real and top notch shirt makers are easily $200 each. Not in my price range.

Here is what has worked for me so far:

1) Rochester Big and Tall - great shop until they went out of business here in Fresno CA.
2) eBay - have found great deals on Zegna and Burberry shirts - but it is always a craps-shoot. Every ad says "only worn one time," and usually that is a lie.
3) Ross/TJ Maxx/Marshalls/Nordstrom Rack - All have a few good deals on shoes, shirts or one or two items - but really not worth my time anymore.

So where can I get a LARGE Selection of designer clothes - preferably purchasing a whole wardrobe at once? Used is fine. Dress shirts in the 20/37 size, suits 54long/44*32 .

Thanks for your time,

Jason

Saltricks

Reaction score
I have body builder friends of your proportion and they have to get their stuff (suits, shirts, even TSHIRTS) custom made. I'm sorry.

There are cheaper shirting options, but all of them will be more expensive than OTR.

bigj93702

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply... Used to work for Verizon so I must say Walnut Creek is a beautiful city!

Maybe I should just drive to San Francisco or Los Angeles Rochester Big and Tall .... Anyone know which area has the largest selection... or hopefully a used boutique for us big and tall guys?

Saltricks

Reaction score
walnut creek is different from walnut (where I'm from) haha. I'm actually close to LA. There are places around Downtown LA (Santee/ Pico/) Where they have cheap tailors who can probably cut something for you for dirt cheap. It won't be the best suit in the world, but it'll be tailored to your specs. Where are you located? Have you tried: http://www.casualmale.com/store/en_US/index.jsp

bigj93702

Reaction score
Oh sorry... Fresno. Even my airport code is FAT! Anyway, Polo Ralph Lauren or higher is the minimum brand. We have Casual Male here - but it is all cheep clothes IMO. Rochester Big and Tall used to give out awesome end of year promotions - such as "$250.00 off anything in store after spending $500 or more."

I dunno... you might be right, either suffer the cost of custom or order online from Rochester and be done with it.... Was hoping there was a secret shop that has Zegna shirts and suits in 4x for a decent price....

Sazerac

Reaction score
Yikes, tough measurements for pret-a-porter stuff. I clicked this thread because I'm a tall guy with a 37" sleeve length. (6'4", and I wear a 54L Euro / 44L good ol' 'Merican.)

If you have a narrow waist but thick thighs like a lot of weight lifters, it might be just a matter of finding a fuller cut in terms of pants. But the jacket and shirt dilemma is huge...literally.

I honestly think you have to go custom. Sorry. And good luck.

bullethead

Reaction score
can't you just order from Rochester online? if they don't have anything you like custom is the only viable option

bigj93702

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bullethead
can't you just order from Rochester online? if they don't have anything you like custom is the only viable option

Yes - and even though I buy everything imaginable online - I still prefer to get my clothes in person - also what looks funky online might look cool in person, you know... hands on is best.

I just wish that I could get some of those exotic looking patterns and ultra high quality in my size at a reasonable price....

Here is something sexy in my book!
drool.gif
drool.gif

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...&postcount=257

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...&postcount=305

BespokeBrooklyn

Reaction score
Jos. A. Bank carries size 52 XL and 54 XL suits. If the “drop” from your chest size to your waist size is that large, then you may need to have the waist taken in quite a bit, but it is worth a shot.

I recently bought three suits from them for a total of $270. I know that many people in this forum dismiss Jos. A. Bank, because their promotional strategy of constantly discounting everything is annoying, their prices are so low that their garments must be made in factories with poor working conditions, their standard fit suits are too boxy, and their less-fancy lines are considered to be of poor quality. I do not dismiss those concerns, but I usually take an XL jacket and need suit trousers that accommodate larger thighs and seat, and Banks is one of the few companies that works for me without having to pay for made to measure. I quite like some of the suits and trousers of theirs I have from their relatively fancier lines. I would recommend starting with their Signature Gold or Reserve lines — you can probably find a conservatively style, decently made suit for less than $250. In my view, it is an upgrade over Men’s Warehouse and Big & Tall stores in terms of variety of styles/cloth and in build quality.

Hello everyone. Guess I will start: But first a rant: Only Polo Ralph Lauren, Robert Graham and Ermenegildo Zegna seem to carry big and tall sizes. Being a XXXX Large guy who wants more than WalMart Clothes - I am certain there are more guys like me - but there seems to be only a few designers making clothes our size. I have tried to squeeze into Vercace 3x and other "Euro or Slim Fit 3x sized shirts - only to look like SNL's famous Chris Farley - AKA a Pilsburry DoughBoy fat guy wearing under-sized clothes. Not good.

So where do you guys go? Are there any good consignment (used clothes are fine) shops in California that would warrant me driving a few hours? Suggestions?

As a newbie here - I have LOVED the "folded shirt Appreciation" thread and some of the custom Bespoke reviews. However, it seems that custom shirts by real and top notch shirt makers are easily $200 each. Not in my price range.

Here is what has worked for me so far:

1) Rochester Big and Tall - great shop until they went out of business here in Fresno CA.
2) eBay - have found great deals on Zegna and Burberry shirts - but it is always a craps-shoot. Every ad says "only worn one time," and usually that is a lie.
3) Ross/TJ Maxx/Marshalls/Nordstrom Rack - All have a few good deals on shoes, shirts or one or two items - but really not worth my time anymore.

So where can I get a LARGE Selection of designer clothes - preferably purchasing a whole wardrobe at once? Used is fine. Dress shirts in the 20/37 size, suits 54long/44*32 .

Thanks for your time,

Jason

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads