1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Bicycle Toed Dress Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by RjSF7, Oct 29, 2009.

1. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

I own and occasionally wear the AE Hillcrest, which is not entirely horrendous.

The key is to avoid pairing the bicycle toe with an excessively KC square toe last. What's even worse is a hard square toe that also has a angular side profile for the toebox, such that your toe looks like a frankensteinish brick. The AE Hillcrest avoids all that (round toe last, round toe side profile).

Still, the Hillcrest is not anywhere in my top 20 pairs of shoes that I own.

2. 83glt

83glt Senior member

Forecast calls for sunny skies and no chance of those ever not being horrendous.
    That's funny. I thought that they had just become not horrendous this past Tuesday.

3. greekgeek

greekgeek Senior member

I own and occasionally wear the AE Hillcrest, which is not entirely horrendous.

Forecast calls for sunny skies and no chance of those ever not being horrendous.

A'hem, weathermen are not exactly reknown for accuracy..... [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. John_Edward

John_Edward Senior member

I've never heard this term. Is the defining feature, aside from the squared toe, the two rows of parallel sitching into the toe?

On the verdict of being abhorrent, aye.

5. greekgeek

greekgeek Senior member

I've never heard this term. Is the defining feature, aside from the squared toe, the two rows of parallel sitching into the toe?

On the verdict of being abhorrent, aye.

As shown above, square toe is completely unnecessary.

6. Guero

Guero Senior member

As shown above, square toe is completely unnecessary.

True, but the makers of most bicycle-toe shoes do not appear to be aware of that. My vote is a definite no. This is the new square-toed shoes. They are mostly mass-produced, ubiquitous, cheap and seen on all too many "business casual" wearing fellows with no coat, no tie, and a ratty white t-shirt poking up through their slouchy collars. That and they remind me of the zippered boots I used to see as a kid in the '70s.

7. greekgeek

greekgeek Senior member

8. RjSF7

RjSF7 Member

9. Matt S

Matt S Senior member

I must say that after seeing the Hillcrest in white I don't hate bicycle toes quite as much. It looks like a great shoe for summer weekends. Bicycle toes seem to work best in whites and tans, but darker colours not so much. It just looks silly when I see people trying to wear them as dress shoes. It's almost as bad as wearing black sneakers with a suit.