• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bhambi Custom Tailors, NYC

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Following some advice I picked up here on the forum, I took three pairs of pants to Bhambis today for hemming and having the waists taken in. I was told on here that they were good but expensive. Sure enough, they seemed to know what they were doing, but the prices
wow.gif
$20 for hem, $25 for taking the waist in. So, what I thought would be a great Ebay deal on some nice pants has ended up working out to an extra $50 per pair. Anyway, I suppose you are paying for the experience and their near-5th avenue address. Interestingly, their main business seems to be custom clothing, which, believe it or not, seems to be quite a good deal, unlike their alterations. The jackets are fully canvased, buttonholes done by hand, and so on. The quality seemed quite high. Prices start around $1200 for a 2-piece suit. This place may be worth checking out if you are in New York and looking for a cheaper bespoke option.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would feel somewhat uncertain about going to a tailor named "Bhambi." I'd be afraid he might accidentally gore me with his antlers during the fitting. (Sorry for the levity, but I'm just feeling impish this morning
devil.gif
) Curious how "Bambi" is sometimes used as a girl's name given that the fictional Bambi was a stag. I get the sense that it is particularly popular as a stage name for strippers and such.

amirrorcrackd

Reaction score
Don't complain about the cost.  My bespoke clothier charged $95 for taking-in the seat and waist.
Yikes. You could get a whole new pair of pants for that.

Dan

theyare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi - for those with experience with Bhambi's, what cost would I be looking at for a pretty simple (I'm thinking) waist suppression of a blazer? Also - what are the odds I could get a one-day turnaround as its a bit of an emergency. Thanks.

ohm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by theyare
I guess it could be worse, especially if he can do it with quick turnaround.

They are relatively expensive. That said, I had the collar on a jacket moved and the shoulders let out a bit and they did a great job on it so, at least in my experience, you get what you pay for.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by theyare
Anyone have any quick suggestions in the same vicinity who may be less expensive? I checked the definitive NYC thread and didn't see any that were in the same area. Thanks.

About 6 blocks away there is another guy (63rd and Lex or so), name is on the nyc thread, he is a bit cheaper.

Imparali

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
I would feel somewhat uncertain about going to a tailor named "Bhambi." I'd be afraid he might accidentally gore me with his antlers during the fitting. (Sorry for the levity, but I'm just feeling impish this morning
devil.gif
)

Curious how "Bambi" is sometimes used as a girl's name given that the fictional Bambi was a stag. I get the sense that it is particularly popular as a stage name for strippers and such.

Bhambi is the last name of the owner. It's a family owned business, he's a nice guy. He's been in the business for 40 years. Actually him and my father acquaintances, their work is very good.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Imparali
Bhambi is the last name of the owner. It's a family owned business, he's a nice guy. He's been in the business for 40 years. Actually him and my father acquaintances, their work is very good.

Matt, since you posted and yuor signature is what it is, would you mind introducing your business to the forum, maybe starting a new thread? There is always interest for bespoke clothing on this forum, particularly in NYC. Is your service bespoke or MTM or a hybrid? What is your house style? etc etc. Thanks in advance.

Imparali

Reaction score
My clothing is pretty much made in Hong Kong, so Made-to-Measure, not true Bespoke. I didn't want to do any self promotion, as I am hear more as a viewer of this forum. However, we've actually been in business for around 40 years, but still new to NY, we have been in Houston, and just closed our store and moved to New York. Our studio does however do basic Alterations in house for men and women.

jasonsun

Reaction score
My suit tailor just costed $200, collar lowered/wasit taken in/sleeve adjustment/pants let in/hem/cuffs.......I thought the price is on the high end, but not sure what's the current on-going rate now....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads