Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Bhambi Custom Tailors, NYC

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by zjpj83, Feb 12, 2005.

1. plhoang

plhoang Well-Known Member

Hi - for those with experience with Bhambi's, what cost would I be looking at for a pretty simple (I'm thinking) waist suppression of a blazer? Also - what are the odds I could get a one-day turnaround as its a bit of an emergency. Thanks.

He quoted me $95

2. jasonsun

jasonsun Senior member

He quoted me $95

Just the waist suppression is $95, my entire tailoring turnaround is a week.

3. AscotMcPocketsquare

AscotMcPocketsquare Senior member

I have had a bunch of clothes made at Bhambi and have nothing but good things to say about them. I am wearing one of their shirts right now. Their suit and sport coat work is excellent but pretty pricey (i believe suits start at $1,800 and Sport Coats start at $1,400).

4. jasonsun

jasonsun Senior member

I have had a bunch of clothes made at Bhambi and have nothing but good things to say about them. I am wearing one of their shirts right now. Their suit and sport coat work is excellent but pretty pricey (i believe suits start at $1,800 and Sport Coats start at $1,400).

I think based on the review here, he goes great job at steep price, i'll let you know my opinion once i get my suit next week.

I do think their bespoke shirt is a bit overpriced...at upwards of $350; that price tag give me a lot of options/alternatives beside him.

Is Bhambi is the owner or the tailor? If he's the owner, who's the real tailor? I was fitted by someone who's called "Bedi?"; mid age?

5. AscotMcPocketsquare

I think based on the review here, he goes great job at steep price, i'll let you know my opinion once i get my suit next week.

I do think their bespoke shirt is a bit overpriced...at upwards of $350; that price tag give me a lot of options/alternatives beside him.

Is Bhambi is the owner or the tailor? If he's the owner, who's the real tailor? I was fitted by someone who's called "Bedi?"; mid age?

It is owned by the Bhambi family, the old man is still in every day and his son does most of the front office client interaction. The old man is the owner/head tailor. They have a few people who do the fitting. The old man did my tux fitting himself and he usually at least checks out and signs off on the other guys work. As for the shirts, they do not start at $350, in fact I don't think I have ever ordered a shirt from them that cost over $200. Depends on which fabric book you want to order from. I have been very pleased with everything they have made for me, the only issue is that spending $1,400-2,000 for every sport coat tends to limit the number you purchase for obvious reasons.

6. jcc123

jcc123 Senior member

It is owned by the Bhambi family, the old man is still in every day and his son does most of the front office client interaction. The old man is the owner/head tailor. They have a few people who do the fitting. The old man did my tux fitting himself and he usually at least checks out and signs off on the other guys work. As for the shirts, they do not start at $350, in fact I don't think I have ever ordered a shirt from them that cost over $200. Depends on which fabric book you want to order from. I have been very pleased with everything they have made for me, the only issue is that spending $1,400-2,000 for every sport coat tends to limit the number you purchase for obvious reasons.

Can they do a decent Neapolitan jacket?

7. visionology

visionology Senior member

Ouch is anything cheap in NYC?

8. bkrex

bkrex Active Member

Mr Ned. I've just had a beautiful suit made ($900 with pick stitching/finctional buttons), as well as a sportcoat for $650.

9. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

Mr Ned. I've just had a beautiful suit made ($900 with pick stitching/finctional buttons), as well as a sportcoat for $650.

Yeah but don't stand too close to a high wattage lightbulb...poof!!!

10. AscotMcPocketsquare

Can they do a decent Neapolitan jacket?

I'm not into the tailoring specifics enough to know what that would entail. All I know if I leave a lot up to their judgment and their jackets fit be better than any other garments I own and look great.

11. Xiaogou

Xiaogou Senior member

Ouch is anything cheap in NYC?

A trip to Tony Luke's

12. fm2577

fm2577 Active Member

These guys are dishonest and overpriced. Long story to spare you the details I took a new OTR suit to get tailored. I like to see the work and service that a tailor provides before I go for a full bespoke job. It didn't need major work, just the usual for any tailor worth his salt, waist suppression, collar adjustment, etc. with the only unusual request being to have the lapel roll fixed (lapel was a little off)

I tried on the suit and the associate (I won't mention his name) looked me over and said it looked good. When I got home I noticed on closer inspection that there was some ugly-looking puckering on the center back seam and they didn't use the hem tape that was provided for the trousers. Not to mention the collar was not nearly high enough, but I coudl live with it. What I could not stand was the hem tape and the spare buttons were missing! After I was charged upwards of $400 for subpar, dishonest work. I decided not to entrust my suit to them again.

How could he look me in the face and tell me that it looked fine when it was absolutely horrid!? The nerve! I guess they take no pride in their profession...

Thankfully, I found a more respectable Italian tailor who fixed the puckering, straightened the lapel roll (I should have been suspicious when Bhambi's wanted to charge for every minor thing that my old-school Sicilian tailor would fix for free) AND reinforced the buttons and added a boutonniere loop for less than $100 ($90 to be exact).

From what I've observed Bhambi's only gives you quality service if they believe that you are someone important or will spend a lot of money. The atmosphere is not intimate and is somewhat rushed. I felt cheated and I won't be returning there ever. Some good did come over this however--I found a tailor who blows them out of the water!

13. Master Shake

Master Shake Senior member

And he is . . . ?

14. dirkweems

dirkweems Well-Known Member

The prices noted by the thread starter are pretty standard for New York. I know nothing of Bhambi but if they are tailors, they may very well provide higher quality service than the many Dry Cleaning shops that also offer tailoring and alterations. These dry cleaning shops charge the same prices as regular tailors, but generally have someone who knows how to sew and could reattach buttons, but knows little about adjusting the seat of a pair of trousers or waist suppression on a coat.

15. silvercitynyc

silvercitynyc Senior member

I just got my RL Black Label suit altered at Bhambi's. Pants hemmed, jacket sleeves cuffs, waist taken in 1", and jacket waist taken in about 0.5" on either side.

Finally, got working button-holes ($96) and new buttons ($35).

Total was $380 after-tax.

End result was pretty good - everything looks great. The button-hole pics are attached. They quoted a full-bespoke NYC-made suit for $2,000+ (averages around $2400-$2600 due to fabric choices). Any opinions or pics people have on overall suit quality / feel of their bespoke suits?

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012