• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beyond the Blazer: Second most versatile sport-coat?

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's pretty well accepted the navy sportcoat is the most versatile. For someone who has that covered and is hungry for more... what's next? A solid gray sportcoat? Textured gray? Glenplaid?

Eccentric

Reaction score
Textured gray would be good, but I would say anything goes after the navy.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I would say something in a tight pattern like herringbone. Light and dark gray or brown works well. I also like the blue-gray donegals we've seen lately from mafoo and Vintage Gent.

manouche

Reaction score

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
I don't think a blazer is the most versatile sportcoat, at least if you're young and wearing them socially.

I think my most versatile sportcoat is a charcoal birdseye with a thin blue windowpane, because it can be worn anywhere and at any time of the day. The next most versatile is probably a grey or brown herringbone.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What color trousers, shoes, shirts, do you like to wear? And, cotton or wool trousers? The versatility of a second sportcoat will be determined by the rest of the wardrobe I think.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brown or earth tone heavyweight for fall/winter (tweed, glenplaid, windowpane...).

Something in lightweight tan/khaki for spring/summer.

Whatever you do, stay away from grey/charcoal sportcoats no matter how textured or patterned.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Herringbone tweed. Brown looks good on me, but other colors will suffice. This may not be the most versatile as it is really two season, but it should be a wardrobe staple.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
for me i would go with something in brown again like other have mentioned herringbone or donegal or in the summer linen or fresco something with a bit of surface interest.

apart from these i would go with a sand/ fawn or oatmeal color as these work well with dark pants!

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by manouche
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=73085

I read the post and clicked the link first without reading the name, when I saw your picture, I thought someone was insulting me...
confused.gif

Originally Posted by Sprezzatura2010
I think my most versatile sportcoat is a charcoal birdseye with a thin blue windowpane,

Do you have pics of said sportcoat? I can't picture it.

Originally Posted by Dewey
What color trousers, shoes, shirts, do you like to wear? And, cotton or wool trousers? The versatility of a second sportcoat will be determined by the rest of the wardrobe I think.

Lots of blue/white shirts in various shades and stripes, but I also have brown bengal stripe and pink bengal stripe shirts. Lots of different shades of gray, and blue pants, but i also have brown and black pants. I don't wear cotton pants much because they wrinkle big-time. I saw a really nice sportcoat today, kind of a greyish-brown herringbone with a tan overcheck. I think it might make a nice 2 season jacket, but I'm wondering if I have enough stuff to go with it.

Originally Posted by EL72
haki for spring/summer.

Whatever you do, stay away from grey/charcoal sportcoats no matter how textured or patterned.

Why? What about mid-grey herringbone sportcoats?

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me, it would be my Brooks Brothers camelhair, in subtle gray glen plaid.

MrFab

Reaction score
Maybe it's just becuase I'm quite young and and tend to pair them with a lot of things other than button-up shirts and the like, but I think one in black looks quite cool with a lot of things

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads