• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beyonce/Shakira video

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Shakira is hot. Beyonce is beautiful but her body (chest down) doesn't do it for me.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
This video does nothing for me. Bee-yon-say has looked better IMO. I distinctlly remember a video where she's crawling around on the ground and/or rolling around in a pile of furs or something that I thought was really hot. Maybe Jay-Z was in it or something. Shakira has never really been that impressive to me, she sounds like a bleating goat or something. Bleh. Edit: This is the video I was thinking of earlier.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice video, but Christina Aguilera's "Candyman" is my current favorite.

For me, there's something truly hot about a beautiful woman who can really (and I mean really) sing. Christina has more vocal talent than 5 Beyonces and 10 Shakiras.

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
This video does nothing for me.

Bee-yon-say has looked better IMO. I distinctlly remember a video where she's crawling around on the ground and/or rolling around in a pile of furs or something that I thought was really hot. Maybe Jay-Z was in it or something.

Shakira has never really been that impressive to me, she sounds like a bleating goat or something.

Bleh.

Edit: This is the video I was thinking of earlier.

Oh, I thought you meant:

Baby Boy. With Sean Paul.

Best. Dance. Song. Ever.

Really, you haven't lived until you've had two vaguely Middle-Eastern girls grind/bellydance on you to that song...

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kai

Didn't I post that in another thread like a week ago?

LARon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kai

For me, there's something truly hot about a beautiful woman who can really (and I mean really) sing. Christina has more vocal talent than 5 Beyonces and 10 Shakiras.

Christina definitely has the "pipes" but she pales in both star power and womanliness next to Beyonce and Shakira. She's short, petite and can't dress (in fact, she's often lampooned for her poor taste and outlandish outfits). Indeed, but for her high vocal range -- which often sounds remarkably like screeching -- she'd probably still be schlepping around Staten Island.

In other words, in this discussion, sad to say, Christina is out of her depth; she's a girl among women. She compares better to Britney Spears.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jpeirpont
I wouldn't classify Beyonce as Hip Hop.
If your talking about the song with Wyclef, thats the only half way decent song she's ever made.

the new beyonce song with shakira has a part that goes "shakira blah blah blah... beyonce blah blah blah..."

whenever i hear a song where the 'artist' is referenced in the lyrics, i think "hip hop'. forgive me if i'm wrong.

i can't imagine a frank sinatra song that goes "frank sinatra this... frank sinatra that."

i do not know who wyclef is, but if he is the rapper in that shakira song, he ruins it for me. it is a good song except for the rapping. it sounds like they dragged a couple of guys off the street into the studio and told them to ad lib, but they couldn't think of anything intelligent/clever/interesting to say, so they just bust out "yeeah, yeeeah, shakira shakira..." it is annoyingly stupid.

LARon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you just have an aversion to hip hop. As much as I like Frank Sinatra, let's face it -- that era's long gone.
blush.gif

I also was resistant to hip hop in the early days, but remember, the early days were the early 80's; its been around more than 25 years now, and going strong. You may want to find some hip hop to like; otherwise, you'll be fighting against modernity for a long time yet.

As for the Shakira song, "Hips don't lie," it was Wyclef's rapping that gave it its unique appeal and catapaulted it to Grammy success. Unless you're already past 60, don't go being a curmudgeon too soon.
smile.gif

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LARon
Sounds like you just have an aversion to hip hop. As much as I like Frank Sinatra, let's face it -- that era's long gone.
blush.gif

i used him as an example. i can't imagine bjork or camille putting their own names in their songs. "yeeah, bjork! top a da food chain!"

I also was resistant to hip hop in the early days, but remember, the early days were the early 80's; its been around more than 25 years now, and going strong. You may want to find some hip hop to like; otherwise, you'll be fighting against modernity for a long time yet.
i don't have a musical aversion to it. it's the lyrics that do not interest me. i'm not fighting modernity eitther. i'm a big fan of bjork, camille, and house music. i will not dumb down my taste in order to conform with high schoolers.

As for the Shakira song, "Hips don't lie," it was Wyclef's rapping that gave it its unique appeal and catapaulted it to Grammy success. Unless you're already past 60, don't go being a curmudgeon too soon.
smile.gif

i was unaware that it won any wards, but that is besides the point. it is a catchy song, but you cannot honestly tell me there is anything creative about that rap part.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
i used him as an example. i can't imagine bjork or camille putting their own names in their songs. "yeeah, bjork! top a da food chain!"

i don't have a musical aversion to it. it's the lyrics that do not interest me. i'm not fighting modernity eitther. i'm a big fan of bjork, camille, and house music. i will not dumb down my taste in order to conform with high schoolers.

i was unaware that it won any wards, but that is besides the point. it is a catchy song, but you cannot honestly tell me there is anything creative about that rap part.

I have to agree you simply have an aversion to rap, Shakira's part isn't any more creative than Wyclefs, and overall Wyclef is probaly better regarded as a musician than Shakira.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Nice link -

I'd be tipping at the stage for that show
worship.gif

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
This video does nothing for me.

Shakira has never really been that impressive to me, she sounds like a bleating goat or something.

Bleh.

I agree, I never liked her singing... Pretty yes, but as a musician I regret that only this could get you there.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jpeirpont
I have to agree you simply have an aversion to rap, Shakira's part isn't any more creative than Wyclefs, and overall Wyclef is probaly better regarded as a musician than Shakira.
how wyclef is regarded is completely irrelevant to whether this particular performance is any good. for all i know he could have dozens of great songs, but that won't change how stupid the rap is on this one.
Ladies up in here tonight
No fighting, no fighting
We got the refugees up in here
No fighting, no fighting

Shakira, Shakira

I never really knew that she could dance like this
She makes a man want to speak Spanish,
Como se llama, bonita, mi casa, su casa
Shakira, Shakira

hip hop is simple music for simple minds.

Originally Posted by lakewolf
I agree, I never liked her singing... Pretty yes, but as a musician I regret that only this could get you there.
shakira was famous in latin america for many years before she did her crossover. she is a talented guitarist/songwriter and she writes all of her songs, or at least she used to.

before she came here she had a bit of a hippie vibe to her, with straight brown hair parted in the middle and she often performed barefoot, in a t-shirt and jeans. when she came out here they dyed her hair blonde, gave her a slutty looking perm, and now she's performing with stupid hip hoppers. she needs an intervention.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
matadorpoeta;460651 said:
how wyclef is regarded is completely irrelevant to whether this particular performance is any good. for all i know he could have dozens of great songs, but that won't change how stupid the rap is on this one.
Ladies up in here tonight
No fighting, no fighting
We got the refugees up in here
No fighting, no fighting

Shakira, Shakira

I never really knew that she could dance like this
She makes a man want to speak Spanish,
Como se llama, bonita, mi casa, su casa
Shakira, Shakira

hip hop is simple music for simple minds.
Coming from our resident genius.
No one said what he said was complex, I said it was no less complex than what she sung. Which is very true.
I think being famous in Latin America is a negative attribution, from I hear, so I think she upgraded. Though I can't say I've heard much of her music.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back to the women.
For my money Beyonce is the most attractive women in entertainment, plus she singing about dimples in your neck tie and purple label; what more can you ask for.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics