• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bexley shoe trees

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are shipping charges like on those trees?

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SGladwell
What are shipping charges like on those trees?

Unconcionably high. Almost 70 euros to be specific.

But if you order in bulk, say 8 pairs, you get 50% off the regualr price of the trees. So I tend to look at the shipping in relation to the final price, not as a stand alone fee. At the end of the day, these trees are an absolute steal at $25/pair delivered and that's the only number I really am concerned with.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
They are great trees and I would use them on EG or JL without hesitation. They are delivered via TNT Delivery Service and I have never been charged duty of any kind.
TNT? Damn it. When I got shoes from Bexley they used UPS (I think - or was it FedEx?) ANyway, they saddled me with a nice chunk extra. I think I need to look in to those, maybe have them sent to my parents in Cyprus and pick them up next time I visit...

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
At the end of the day, these trees are an absolute steal at $25/pair delivered and that's the only number I really am concerned with.
I ordered some of these trees a few months ago on aportnoy's endorsement (thanks Andrew) and also recommend them as a great value. I got an email from Bexley last month about an "introduce your friend to Bexley" promotion. You get an 8euro discount for every friend you recommend. Info is here: http://www.bexley.com/Bexley/index.a...BEXLEY&lang=EN I vote that anybody interested in ordering some trees from Bexley shoud PM their email address to aportnoy. Then he can get the discount. What's the benefit for the rest of us: less money spent on trees means more money spent on shoes; that means more Appreciation for us!

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alter
I ordered some of these trees a few months ago on aportnoy's endorsement (thanks Andrew) and also recommend them as a great value.

I got an email from Bexley last month about an "introduce your friend to Bexley" promotion. You get an 8euro discount for every friend you recommend.

Info is here: http://www.bexley.com/Bexley/index.a...BEXLEY&lang=EN

I vote that anybody interested in ordering some trees from Bexley shoud PM their email address to aportney. Then he can get the discount.

What's the benefit for the rest of us: less money spent on trees means more money spent on shoes; that means more Appreciation for us!

Thanks Alter, I'm glad you're finding the trees as good a value as I do. They were out of stock for a while but it looks like they've fully replenished the supply.

Just in time for the Asprey sample sale.
wow.gif

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
and may i ask any thoughts on bexley's shoes?

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are three brands in France that do a Goodyear-welted shoe at a similar price point : Bowen, Bexley and Loding.

I have no personal experience with either of those three, but I have always heard that they were (all three) a very decent quality for the price. Judging from photos alone, I would favor Loding slightly as a more elegant last-shape. I am actually considering buying a pair or two for heavy-duty, expendable use.

Duveen

Reaction score
Having looked at all three shops while I was in Paris, I'd say that Bowen and Bexley both seemed questionable (with a slight nod to Bowen on styling). Loding seemed to be the best of the lot - their lasts look good and fit me decently well. I didn't end up buying, largely b/c I already have way too many shoes, but I thought I'd weigh in here...

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Étienne
There are three brands in France that do a Goodyear-welted shoe at a similar price point : Bowen, Bexley and Loding.

I have no personal experience with either of those three, but I have always heard that they were (all three) a very decent quality for the price. Judging from photos alone, I would favor Loding slightly as a more elegant last-shape. I am actually considering buying a pair or two for heavy-duty, expendable use.

Am I the only one who thinks that Emling shoes are a great alternative at this price point? I have a couple pairs and they hold up pretty well. Nice leathers and goodyear construction. Prices (especially on sale) are quite attractive.

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Am I the only one who thinks that Emling shoes are a great alternative at this price point?
I am also considering Emling. Their new line is designed by Marc Guyot and I love what he does under his own label.

Still, they are ine the 200 euros price range, are they not? That's almost twice as expensive as Loding, Bexley, Bowen. Although still firmly in the "low to middle range" price bracket, that's not really the same league. In the 200 euros range, there is also Finsbury in France, and Shipton (UK). Isn't Grenson around those prices too?

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Étienne
That's almost twice as expensive as Loding, Bexley, Bowen.

Bowen shoes now cost 100 euros? I've been out of France for too long. I was convinced they were around 200 euros as well... Anyhow, the two pairs I bought last year at Emling were 120 eur each (December/January sale). Very good purchases IMO

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Bowen shoes now cost 100 euros? I've been out of France for too long. I was convinced they were around 200 euros as well...
Okay, I might be confused, and they don't seem to have a website for confirmation. Let's sum up what I think I know:

100 euros price range : Bexley, Loding

200 euros price range : Emling, Finsbury, Shipton, Grenson?

Come to think of it, there is also Heyraud, less than 150 euros a pair in my dim memory.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a couple I like in the Emling classic range: Flavio and Eden

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Bexley is rather disappointing in person. As are Heyraud and Finsbury. Most of these low-priced shoes are going to be made in China or elsewhere in the third world, which is amusing as they are French brands who by and large strive for Anglo-Saxon-sounding names. Bowen is a hair nicer. Loding seems to have adopted some less elegant designs than in the past. All are between 100 to 200 euros. I greatly prefer Donegan at a slightly higher price point, and Carmina (Albaladejo) must be the best shoe value in Paris. I am also interested in further examining Stanislas Bottier on rue Dombasle. Etienne, a field trip? The Altan and Guyot shoes seem a tad delicate to me. Guyot's shoes are surprisingly narrow to boot (no pun intended). Visionary designs though.

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heyraud will always have a special place in my heart since the very first pair of dress shoes I bought was a pair of Heyraud black derby, back when I started my studies in Paris. The next pair I bought was from Weston, quite a step up, but I still have my Heyraud (I don't wear them though).

Originally Posted by RJman
I am also interested in further examining Stanislas Bottier on rue Dombasle. Etienne, a field trip?
With pleasure. Will you be in Paris ten days from now? That's the week-end when I plan on coming back there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads