• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beverly Hillbillies-esque move to the big city

dexterhaven

Reaction score
I'm thinking of moving to a major US city. All my life I have lived in small towns ranging from 3,000-30,000 people. I don't think I'm a bumpkin or anything, but I do consider myself inexperienced when it comes to day to day big city living. Could some of you who have made moves similar to the one I am planning, or who have lived in the city for a good while, share your experiences? Where are you? Do you like it there? What would you change about it? etc. Anything would probably help a lot.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
if you see a drug deal going down, don't interfere

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Country bumpkin from a town of 1200. Moved to Chicago for school. No problems really. I had spent a lot of time in Chicago on weekend trips, etc, so I kind of knew my way around. I enjoy it. I'm in a very quiet part of the city, really, but major party area is just a few blocks away. Very safe. I really like it here, for the most part. To be honest, sometimes I really dislike the complete anonymity you feel inside a big city full of people and miss being in a town where you knew everyone and everyone knew you. I enjoy having everything I could possibly want within 20 minutes of me, instead of having to drive 20 minutes just to get groceries. Sometimes I don't like how busy it is and I don't like that you can't just go outside in the country and look at the stars. Overall, though, it's great. I'm glad I moved to the city and have loved it.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the most part, you'll figure it out.

I've lived in rural and urban settings. The big difference is that urban life might feel overwhelming at first because there is so much going on all the time. TONS of people, cars, noise, etc. The other thing is that if you enjoy things in nature (hiking, backpacking, hunting, fishing, etc) those can all suddenly go from an after work activity to needing to use the whole weekend.

My preferences for urban environments are as follows:

Able to walk/use public transport to the things I need (work, grocery store, etc).
Able to actually afford to live
Prefer to be near a metro stop or something
Prefer to be in an area with some restaurants and bars nearby

Also, it helps if the women are beautiful.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I grew up in a fairly small town in Upstate NY. Now I live in Chicago and love it. I enjoy having a wide range of things to do, with unique events always going on, and the use of public transportation to pretty much get anywhere I need to go.

However, I've been to NY city a couple times and I enjoyed visiting there, but I wouldn't want to live there, too congested for me and cost of living is way too high. Chicago has a much more spread out feel to it, so it's a much better match for me.

I suggest you visit where you want to move to for at least a week and get a feel for it. You have to get to know the neighborhoods, as where you live in a city can drastically change your experience. It can also help if you know people there already or are moving with someone you know.

Agnacious

Reaction score
3,000 people is not a town, that's a party. I never lived anywhere small, but would say if you are undecided, as other have said, Chicago would be a good place to consider.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some thoughts on places I have either lived or spent a decent amount of time visiting:

Chicago - best overall city in America IMO. reasonably clean, safe, and cheap for such a city of this size, with excellent cultural attactions, a subway system, and very good food. My biggest complaint is probably lack of fresh seafood and not enough asian restaurants.

NYC - A bit overrated and overpriced, but an amazing experience nonetheless. Probably the best food city in America.

LA - Way too much sprawl, traffic, and Mexicans, but for somehow I always manage to have a lot of fun when I go there.

SF - Great place if you can afford it, but lacking in nightlife compared to most of the above, and way too many homeless everywhere.

Seattle/Portland - Just say no. Both of these places are overpriced, overgrown hick towns infested with antisocial inbreds who can't drive.

St. Louis - Not really a "big city", but a pleasant place to live and rather underrated IMO. Surprising number of attractive women.

Montreal and Vancouver are both awesome, but you'd have to be willing/eligible to live in Canuckistan.

Good luck!

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dtmt
Some thoughts on places I have either lived or spent a decent amount of time visiting: Chicago - best overall city in America IMO. reasonably clean, safe, and cheap for such a city of this size, with excellent cultural attactions, a subway system, and very good food. My biggest complaint is probably lack of fresh seafood and not enough asian restaurants. NYC - A bit overrated and overpriced, but an amazing experience nonetheless. Probably the best food city in America. LA - Way too much sprawl, traffic, and Mexicans, but for somehow I always manage to have a lot of fun when I go there. SF - Great place if you can afford it, but lacking in nightlife compared to most of the above, and way too many homeless everywhere. Seattle/Portland - Just say no. Both of these places are overpriced, overgrown hick towns infested with antisocial inbreds who can't drive. St. Louis - Not really a "big city", but a pleasant place to live and rather underrated IMO. Surprising number of attractive women. Montreal and Vancouver are both awesome, but you'd have to be willing/eligible to live in Canuckistan. Good luck!
Wow... you're just an idiot aren't you? You probably shouldn't talk so much, you'll be much safer. You do realize these are two of the most highly educated, highly paid cities in the country? Please stay the **** out of the Northwest, you'll ruin our average.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hossoso
Wow... you're just an idiot aren't you? You probably shouldn't talk so much, you'll be much safer.

+1. Seattle is full of hicks, but St. Louis is a nice city??????
cry.gif

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only reason Seattle is "highly paid" or "highly educated" is because of the transplants. Ask anyone who you know who works at Microsoft, Amazon, Biotech companies, or is at U-W getting a PhD in a "real" major, and they will all tell you that nearly zero of their colleagues are from the Northwest.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dtmt
The only reason Seattle is "highly paid" or "highly educated" is because of the transplants. Ask anyone who you know who works at Microsoft, Amazon, Biotech companies, or is at U-W getting a PhD in a "real" major, and they will all tell you that nearly zero of their colleagues are from the Northwest.

I don't need to ask anyone. I know enough about my friends to know that you are talking out of your ass. Find a new schtick, this isn't working for you. You dumb sack of ****. Even ******* Forbes, the WSJ and the NYT disagrees with you.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ This is another wonderful thing about Seattle. You mention you don't like it and the locals blow a fuse and go apeshit on you. If I had said "Chicago sucks" no one would have gotten their panties in a wad over it.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Actually I'd have probably had the same response as H. And when I say **** about NYC, GDL and those guys tell me I'm a ******* idiot. So it's not like it's just Seattle-ites.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hossoso
I don't need to ask anyone. I know enough about my friends to know that you are talking out of your ass. Find a new schtick, this isn't working for you. You dumb sack of ****. Even ******* Forbes, the WSJ and the NYT disagrees with you.

Are you really going to take it that personally? Jesus, if you're representative of Seattle, that's too bad.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
let's trade houses for a few months

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads