• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Betty and Veronica get a new slutty look

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it just me or does does making Betty and Veronica look more realistic i.e. drawing them like neighorhood mall sluts just a bad idea? Couldn't they just leave good enough alone? And the drawing is horrible to boot.

http://blog.wired.com/tableofmalcont..._comics_g.html

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...rtainment/home

bvvv9.jpg

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I can't hear about Betty and Veronica anymore without thinking of Jenna Jameson's debut movie, Cherry Pie, that also featured an early performance from my all-time favorite Appreciation star, Kylie Ireland...

cherry_pie.jpg

Kylie played Serena while Jenna was Betty Blueballs...

The male characters were Archie and Jughead.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'd still rather sleep with Veronica. She likes being belittled in regards to her social status, she likes being tied up, and she likes being dominated. I happen to be good at all those things.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
I'd still rather sleep with Veronica. She likes being belittled in regards to her social status, she likes being tied up, and she likes being dominated. I happen to be good at all those things.

Really? I prefer Veronica too but see her more as the rich, bratty, dominant princess rather than the other way around. She would be the one tying me up.
tounge.gif

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think that they looked a lot hotter in the 40's.....

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
Really? I prefer Veronica too but see her more as the rich, bratty, dominant princess rather than the other way around. She would be the one tying me up.
tounge.gif

These assessments say more about you guys than Betty or Veronica.
laugh.gif

The new drawing style certainly makes the comics look ... girlier. I hadn't really thought that Archie was targeted to boys or girls in specific, but maybe girls make up most of the readership?

They're also changing the stories to make them longer, and breaking them into several parts. I'm unclear if the full story will be contained in a single digest, or if the point is to get readers to buy the next one.

Weird in the cover above that Betty has pigtails instead of her usual pony. Took me forever to figure out what was off.

I don't think this will last. It's good for getting a bit of publicity, and a bump in sales, but I imagine they'll go back to the old style in short order. Partly I think it will be a matter of practicality: They have decades of old stories they recycle in the digests, and the contrast in styles only serves to draw a line between old and new.

Wow, I've really managed to bring SF's patented overanalysis to the critical issue of Archie comic art.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I think that they looked a lot hotter in the 40's.....

I went to post a picture to demonstrate your point, but discovered, to my horror, that a Google image search for "Betty and Veronica" turns up an alarming amount of B&V Appreciation. Disturbing.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I went to post a picture to demonstrate your point, but discovered, to my horror, that a Google image search for "Betty and Veronica" turns up an alarming amount of B&V Appreciation. Disturbing.

it is amazing what floats some guys boats....

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
edit: i get it now.
the old betty & veronica look insane. it's their eyes.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It seems to me there was a lesbian subtext to that old version as well. Many of these old things had more sexual inneuendo than what today's creations can throw at them--or even think of.

For example, Newport cigarette ads utilized subliminal messages to send out themes of homoeroticism, three-ways, and incest.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
It seems to me there was a lesbian subtext to that old version as well. Many of these old things had more sexual inneuendo than what today's creations can throw at them--or even think of.

For example, Newport cigarette ads utilized subliminal messages to send out themes of homoeroticism, three-ways, and incest.

What, no necrobestiality LK?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads