• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Better to tailor suit that is too small or too big?

cturcotto

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I recently got a couple SuitSupply suits in size 32 and 34 (different models, so they're actually closer to half a size apart. The 34 is a slimmer model than the 32).

My dilemma is that neither of the suits fit perfectly and I'm unsure which one I should have tailored. They both fit very well at the shoulders (0.2 inch difference between the two sizes). The 32 fits well at the chest, but the waist is about an inch too small and I'm getting the "dreaded X." The 34 is a bit loose in the chest and maybe a tad loose in the waist too.

Overall, I'd say that the 32 fits me better, but I've read on these forums that it's generally advised to take in fabric rather than let it out.

Thoughts on which one should I keep?

cturcotto

Reaction score
The size 34. (Will post pictures of the 32 when i can.)

[VIDEO]

[/VIDEO]

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just seeing the 34 now it doesn't look loose in the chest and waist. In fact it appears to be pulling a bit on the button.

Be careful not to buy into the GQ skinny fit suit look. You want a fit that flatters your build but you also want enough room to be comfortable and to move and live in your suit.

Last edited:

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 57 17.9%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 108 33.9%
  • 8”

Votes: 93 29.2%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 35 11.0%
  • 9”

Votes: 13 4.1%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.2%