• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Better suit for the money - need assistance

fiskkm

Reaction score
I just got back from my local TJ Maxx. This store has a "runway" section with high-end designer clothing. It usually has some pretty nice clothes, but they are pretty picked over and only have great stuff in either really large or really small sizes. However, much to my surprise, I found several suits in my size by Corneliani, Pal Zileri, Calvin Klein, and other designers. I ended up purchasing two suits, a Corneliani Mantua Model Super 100s suit, made in Italy, for $289 and a Calvin Klein Math 2 Model, made in China, for $149.

Both suits fit very well, but I may only keep one. Can anyone comment on the Mantua Model of Corneliani? I am not that familiar with that designer to know if I got a steal on it or not. Based on your info, I will decide which one to keep.

Also, in general, who is a better suit maker - Corneliani or Pal Zileri? The Zileri's looked great, but I couldn't find one in my size. They were a little more than the Corneliani's ($399), but based on whatever comments you guys have I may go back and search again.

For fun, I will post some pics later to see if people can tell which suit is which - the $289 Corneliani or the $149 Calvin Klein.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I imagine that the Corneliani will be by far the better suit of the two you've bought.

fiskkm

Reaction score
Can someone explain the trick to check if a suit is canvassed? Or, does someone know if the Corneliani is fully canvassed?

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fiskkm
Can someone explain the trick to check if a suit is canvassed? Or, does someone know if the Corneliani is fully canvassed?

Depending on the model, it will probably be either half-canvassed or fully canvassed. The Calvin Klein will almost certainly be fused.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TJ Maxx does not have "pretty nice clothes".

old

Reaction score
The trick to check whether a jacket is "fully" canvassed or not is to rub the fabric around the buttons. If you could feel a "third layer" in that area, the jacket is fully canvassed.
It is harder to tell if a jacket is half canvassed though.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
corneliani over calvin klein
although ive never had one, but the pal zileri i have are great

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads