1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

better quality jeans for a "Levi's 550 Man"?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Bellemastiff, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Bellemastiff

Bellemastiff Active Member

So I finally may be turning to the dark side and trying out some 'good' denim.

My problem is I shop online and the concern with jeans is you might have to try on 10 pairs to find something that fits!

I'm hoping my chances are better if I can at least find options where the rise and waist size are likely to fit.

I currently wear Levi 550's (34 x 29). I have large thighs from my build (and powerlifting), and additionally, I can't STAND low rise anything, so that's how I ended up with the 550 'old man cut' ;-)

Obviously the cheap line from levi's uses vanity sizing -- around my waist I'm exactly 40 inches and at the narrowest around my hips a few inches narrow. I can actually wear the size 34 Levi 550's at both places (Waist or hips), the only time I'd wear them higher is with an OCBD and tweed jacket or something out to dinner.

I guess the two options I am leaning towards might be Naked and Famous or the premium Levi's stuff. In the former case (N & F), I'm wondering if they even have a cut that would be loose enough for my build, and that wouldn't be too 'low rise' for me.
    And in the latter case (Levi's), I'm wondering if they would have the same vanity sizing that their cheap lines do (so, I'd still be a "34").

Also open to any other recommends given my build and cut preference. Thanks in advance for any tips!

2. NormanF

NormanF Senior member

I'm into 550's myself. I like zippered jeans with a relaxed and comfortable fit.

The skinny jeans craze that's all the rage these days is lost on me.

3. str1genz

str1genz New Member

Try some of the repro cuts from Self Edge. I think Sugar Cane has some nice offerings.

4. Venser

Venser Senior member

Just for the record, even Naked and Famous' "big" cut, the Weird Guy, is low rise and doesn't have large thighs. None of N&F's offerings seem right for your situation

5. Bellemastiff

Quote: Good to know.

6. Bellemastiff

Just a quick update today. I received a pair of Bills Khakis jeans today. They are made in the USA and certainly a step up from Levi's. Quite roomy, too -- and medium rise, not low rise. These just might be the jeans I've been looking for....