• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Better" jeans having an adverse effect.

tljenkin

Reaction score
I think that you're all wrong. The guys chiming in with their skin-tight fits just look mildly ridiculous. The male fomr is not one complimented by tight jeans. They should be fairly straight down from your hips. The town kids with their sloopy looking boot-cuts and oversized jeans are wrong for different reasons. There's no reason to wear jeans that fit like a dress. Why doesn't everyone find a middle ground and wear jeans that fit like any other pair of pants? Chinos would look horrible if they were worn either way, and we have all agreed on a fairly universal fit for them. Let's do the same with jeans and call it a life.

lance konami

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tljenkin
I think that you're all wrong. The guys chiming in with their skin-tight fits just look mildly ridiculous. The male fomr is not one complimented by tight jeans. They should be fairly straight down from your hips. The town kids with their sloopy looking boot-cuts and oversized jeans are wrong for different reasons. There's no reason to wear jeans that fit like a dress. Why doesn't everyone find a middle ground and wear jeans that fit like any other pair of pants? Chinos would look horrible if they were worn either way, and we have all agreed on a fairly universal fit for them. Let's do the same with jeans and call it a life.

Agreed, but there's nothing wrong with a mild bootcut. 5EP low downs, for example almost look like a straight leg sometimes. Obviously should be worn with boots. I think a slight slight bootcut can add balance to the shoulders.

The skin tight **** has got to stop though.

sushijerk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Garage/Surf Rock
Don't worry, in a few years everyone in that town will be wearing tight jeans, once the trend reaches those regions (but the others have already moved on).

Haha seriously. I remember when all the "cool" kids wearing faded/loose everything, spiking up the front of their frost tipped hair, and talking **** to the emo nerds. Fast forward a couple of years and now the same guys all have asymmetric haircuts, weezer glasses, and chucks. 99% of people are total sheep until they get old, fat, or married enough to not give a crap and give up altogether. **** em.

hollaforadolla

Reaction score
Originally Posted by xghostsniperx
Yeah, it's just that a lot of people on here live in L.A. or N.Y., or other fashion-forward places. Here in the midwest, we're stuck in the gaping black hole of crap, and people seem to criticize exponentially more in small towns like where I live. So many of you guys don't hear the negative comments coming your way, simply because different people are more accepted.
pretty much. i rarely hear anything negative. i dont know if that has to do with hanging out with a crowd with a higher maturity level or where i live but i never get crap. come to think of it, the only time ive heard comments were from the most immature and obnoxious girls..
Originally Posted by iamaloser
If you don't feel comfortable wearing something, then don't wear it. I think your jeans look great, but if you're self-conscious enough to post two threads about it, then it doesn't make sense to wear something that you don't seem to want to wear. Just because the internet likes something doesn't mean that it will acceptable in some flyover state high school. Also give the jeans to me.
i was self concious when i first transitioned to skinny jeans, but it was the right move. it made my legs look longer and less like an idiot.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A couple days ago at the bar, a guy looked at my jeans and called me a ******. They were looser than the ones that you posted. I turned around, talked some ****, got in his face, and instead of fighting he bought me a shot. Some people are just morons.

yoyo

Reaction score
the coolest people are the ones who do weird stuff and are comfortable.

the least cool are the ones who are weird and uncomfortable.

if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

fortune

Reaction score
Originally Posted by yoyo
the coolest people are the ones who do weird stuff and are comfortable.

the least cool are the ones who are weird and uncomfortable.

if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't it fire? i've never heard kitchen used. o_O

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ashtnn
correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't it fire? i've never heard kitchen used. o_O

No, I'm pretty sure it's heat/kitchen. Perhaps you are thinking of out of the frying pan and into the fire? That's another common cliche.

Eric Stoner

Reaction score
ah yes, that's it. Although I would suggest if your kitchen was on fire that you should still make a swift exit.

katon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by xghostsniperx
Now, I'm a pretty average guy. I'm 6'1, 165 lbs and I normally wear a 31/32, so I'm pretty skinny. So naturally, as the employee advised me to, I sized down two on the Even Stevens and three on the New Standards. They were tight for awhile, but I knew they'd stretch. I wore both pairs of jeans for at least a month before I wore them to school. Now, the jeans had stretched to a point where they were comfortable on my waist and slim but not tight on the thighs. I thought they looked good sizing wise.

But when I first wore the jeans to school, I couldn't believe all the negative comments I was getting.

Guys would say, "How the hell do you put those pants on?" or "How can your balls breathe", to things like "Dude, you just look gay". I shrugged the comments, figuring that these comments were simply the result of my school being invaded by poorly fitting Hollister/Abercrombie jeans.

Girls really didn't say much, except my ex girlfriend, whom I am now good friends with. She was the first one to help me turn my clothes around, though she basically just helped me buy whatever the newest trend at Gap was. When I first wore them, she said on the phone that same night, in a semi-joking manner, "I helped you turn your clothes from closet nerd to socially acceptable butterfly. Now you look like you're gay."

Really only two types of men can pull off extra slim-fit clothes, really muscular types and the wasted rock-star skinny. The first type can only pull if off because they can kick the asses of people who disagree, the second type can pull it off because of their attitudes and pending record deal.
smile.gif

Slim-fit is probably still the way to go for you, but step back from the brink a bit. Get jeans that fit closely, but not so much that they require stretching.

spacemanvt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i just got some slim fitting slim jims and i feel your pain, man
ive never had tight fitting jeans and its kinda shocking at first

but ive already paid the money and i cant get it back so i figure ill just see it through

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads