• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Better days...????

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The thread that was started to appeal for the return of aportney has been "moved"- which seems to mean deleted.

What's up?
confused.gif

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
There was a troll who had begun haunting it, and I think the mods saw it as a breeding ground for discontent. Probably best to let it go, although it may yet bear fruit...

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alter
The thread that was started to appeal for the return of aportney has been "moved"- which seems to mean deleted.

What's up?
confused.gif

Thanks for the clarification; I missed the troll-fest.

Hopefully aportney realizes he is missed around these parts, though.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alter
Thanks for the clarification; I missed the troll-fest.

Hopefully aportney realizes he is missed around these parts, though.

It's back sans troll.

sysdoc

Reaction score
Removing this thread even temporarily simply stinks! It contains more positive energy than any other thread ever posted at SF! Maybe the moderators aren't capable to see that because they are so busy covering their rear end after the "blabbermouth" and the "we have to consider those members with commercial interests" issues. The mere consideration of a removal of this thread is simple proof for heavy-handedness, lack of sensitivity and, I'm afraid to say, paranoia or hysteria. I suddenly find myself understanding Andrew's issues with SF and its moderation.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Removing this thread even temporarily simply stinks!

It contains more positive energy than any other thread ever posted at SF!

Maybe the moderators aren't capable to see that because they are so busy covering their rear end after the "blabbermouth" and the "we have to consider those members with commercial interests" issues.

The mere consideration of a removal of this thread is simple proof for heavy-handedness, lack of sensitivity and, I'm afraid to say, paranoia or hysteria.

I suddenly find myself understanding Andrew's issues with SF and its moderation.
The reason it was moved was because of a troll who specifically attacked APortnoy...

I moved it because I can't ban. Once the banning occured, it was moved back.

I made the blabbermouth remark. I apologized for it both publicly and privately to Andrew. Last I heard in IM we were having a drink next time I get to NY and letting bygones be bygones.

Moderating is no easy job; most at other sites are more heavy-handed and don't apologize.

If you have issues with this site, it's a free country, and don't let the screen door hit you ********** on your way out.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sysdoc

Maybe the moderators aren't capable to see that because they are so busy covering their rear end after the "blabbermouth" and the "we have to consider those members with commercial interests" issues.

The mere consideration of a removal of this thread is simple proof for heavy-handedness, lack of sensitivity and, I'm afraid to say, paranoia or hysteria.

I suddenly find myself understanding Andrew's issues with SF and its moderation.

Talk about paranoia.

Sysdoc, I appreciate your contributions to this forum at least as much as anyone else does, but your constant overreaction really detracts from that presence here. I really don't understand it in the least.
confused.gif

Steve's move was totally appropriate within current guidelines as he cannot ban people and didn't want YOUR thread to get derailed into a flamefest. He exercised his best option, and the thread was back within a very short period of time. We are working out better guidelines for moderation, but in the meantime, you're going to have to deal with the reality of fallible individual humans making judgment calls.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
sysdoc: Stop stirring the pot!

First Witch
Round about the cauldron go;
In the poison'd entrails throw.
Toad, that under cold stone
Days and nights has thirty-one
Swelter'd venom sleeping got,
Boil thou first i' the charmed pot.
ALL
Double, double toil and trouble;
Fire burn, and cauldron bubble.

mussel

Reaction score
Sysdoc, just calm down, J and SB were right. There's a troll attacking Andrew, SB was doing what he could at that time for Andrew's benefit and to prevent your own thread from elevating into a flamefest.

P.S. I have to confess I always enjoy a good old-fashioned flamefest, it's kind of guilty pleasure
devil.gif
. But not at Andrew's expense.

Boy, the Secret Squirrel forum is such a treasure trove, I don't mind paying to subscribe to it. J, you should sell access to the SS forum to raise money.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
sysdoc: Stop stirring the pot!

First Witch
Round about the cauldron go;
In the poison'd entrails throw.
Toad, that under cold stone
Days and nights has thirty-one
Swelter'd venom sleeping got,
Boil thou first i' the charmed pot.
ALL
Double, double toil and trouble;
Fire burn, and cauldron bubble.

smile.gif

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Man, I'm missing all the action nowadays. Need to check in hourly! Ah, probably best I don't....
lookaround.gif

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
Man, I'm missing all the action nowadays. Need to check in hourly! Ah, probably best I don't....
lookaround.gif

welcome to my world. every morning i wake up and there is a big thread about how some flame war had to be dealt with and someone banned and now its over and can we all move on and thank goodness that... etc etc damn timezones.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You do know that you're my Hero, Doc.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
In response to this thread and other recent moderation concerns, I'm going to start a "transparent moderation log" thread in General Chat. Moderators will update the thread when any moderating action is taken such as moving a thread out of public (at least, on a thread with any content - I don't think they need to waste their time with the plain old spam threads).

We will try that for a while, and if that doesn't work, maybe we will just give up on the free speech and go to a system where threads and people disappear and then any subsequent discussion of the disappearance disappears as well, and you just never get any explanation. That seems to work well for some boards.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads