• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Better Days ...

kcgreg

Reaction score
I am very new to the forum but I have been following the "caustic" topics regarding Vass in the US etc. and can honestly say that if we or SF should lose a valued member without even standing up for Andrew Portnoy then we the SF are a sad lot of people. Where is our gratitude? But as can be seen from this thread that some SF members do value you Andrew and so maybe Style Forum doesn't deserve or merit your presence here but your knowledge, hard work, research, and wonderful shoe pics certainly deserve to exist here at SF even if only a little or a minority do appreciate it. I for one would be very sad to see you go as it is never a happy occassion when one of our 'own' should leave on ugly terms. Lets just let bygones be bygones and continue to strive to be our best and please I am sure I am not the only one to say this - but your departure would be a huge tremendous lost to the SF.
plain.gif
I hope this gives a bit of weight as to the support that Andrew needs. Vive l'aportnoy!!!!

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dare not to speak falsely, fear not to speak the truth.

Note: I'd attribute this quote but I don't know who said it. Seems appropriate nonetheless.

Edit: By the way, I think that one of the most valuable things on this forum is when people reveal their sources about deals and steals and where to get things cheap.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Andrew has always been a gentleman, and my PM conversations with AP have always been informative and helped advance my Sar·to·ri·al taste and style when it comes to shoes. Truly the SF Shoe God:
x2jdrn.jpg

Where do I sacrifice my goats and Kenneth Coles?

Andrew, Barba Gold Label and thanks greatly for all the helpful insights.
A tip of the hat to you.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I agree that losing AP would be bad, and the circumstances surrounding his leaving are incredibly unfortunate. But I wanted to clarify one thing: he didn't "announce" that he was leaving, he made his decision and shared that privately with some members. Of course, that only goes to reinforce why he'll be missed.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes, Andrew, please don't leave.

We shoe-meshuggeners must stick together.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sad day, indeed. Andrew has always been generous with his sources, time, and experiences, and has never involved himself in the rancor that gets spit around these regions too often. He made SF a better place by actually focuses on clothing - or really, shoes. Hopefully he'll stay.

kcgreg

Reaction score
who the hell are you????

maleofglory

Reaction score
I have lurked these forums for quite a while now, and I would be very sad to see Andrew aportnoy leave.
frown.gif

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the great things about the forum is the community atmosphere here. Both Andrews (Portnoy and Harris) have been invaluable members of the forum.

I think that recent problems with some rather insidious trolls have put everyone on edge. The Vass USA vs. Globalization fiasco certainly hasn't helped matters any. I've had to do more moderation in the last couple of weeks since the Days of Ernest.

Finally, let's remember that just because some members are involved in the clothing industry doesn't mean that they have an ulterior motive for their participation on the forum. Andrew Harris, the most obvious example, has made invaluable posts to the forum. I do not begrudge (obvously) Andrew Portnoy for bringing a deal to the forum's attention. However, it is hardly fair to cast aspersions on Gabor Halmos for protecting his livelihood. That is just sour grapes. Like I wrote in another thread, I hate the fact that there is a North American distributor for Nudie jeans that puts my favorite models out of my price range. On the other hand, I understand that the dude is just having to make a living, and I don't begrudge that.

Let's all just take a deep breath and everyone collect their tempers, okay?

Fok.

kcgreg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
One of the great things about the forum is the community atmosphere here. Both Andrews (Portnoy and Harris) have been invaluable members of the forum.

I think that recent problems with some rather insidious trolls have put everyone on edge. The Vass USA vs. Globalization fiasco certainly hasn't helped matters any. I've had to do more moderation in the last couple of weeks since the Days of Ernest.

Finally, let's remember that just because some members are involved in the clothing industry doesn't mean that they have an ulterior motive for their participation on the forum. Andrew Harris, the most obvious example, has made invaluable posts to the forum. I do not begrudge (obvously) Andrew Portnoy for bringing a deal to the forum's attention. However, it is hardly fair to cast aspersions on Gabor Halmos for protecting his livelihood. That is just sour grapes. Like I wrote in another thread, I hate the fact that there is a North American distributor for Nudie jeans that puts my favorite models out of my price range. On the other hand, I understand that the dude is just having to make a living, and I don't begrudge that.

Let's all just take a deep breath and everyone collect their tempers, okay?

Fok.

Agreed man - we have much more to do with shoes....bring on the shoes!!!!
inlove.gif
inlove.gif
inlove.gif

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aportnoy, sad to see you go. Best of luck, and please enjoy all those shirts you have.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads