Better Days ...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by sysdoc, May 2, 2006.

1. kcgreg

kcgreg Senior member

I am very new to the forum but I have been following the "caustic" topics regarding Vass in the US etc. and can honestly say that if we or SF should lose a valued member without even standing up for Andrew Portnoy then we the SF are a sad lot of people. Where is our gratitude? But as can be seen from this thread that some SF members do value you Andrew and so maybe Style Forum doesn't deserve or merit your presence here but your knowledge, hard work, research, and wonderful shoe pics certainly deserve to exist here at SF even if only a little or a minority do appreciate it. I for one would be very sad to see you go as it is never a happy occassion when one of our 'own' should leave on ugly terms. Lets just let bygones be bygones and continue to strive to be our best and please I am sure I am not the only one to say this - but your departure would be a huge tremendous lost to the SF.[​IMG] I hope this gives a bit of weight as to the support that Andrew needs. Vive l'aportnoy!!!!

2. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

Dare not to speak falsely, fear not to speak the truth.

Note: I'd attribute this quote but I don't know who said it. Seems appropriate nonetheless.

Edit: By the way, I think that one of the most valuable things on this forum is when people reveal their sources about deals and steals and where to get things cheap.

3. Soph

Soph Senior member

Andrew has always been a gentleman, and my PM conversations with AP have always been informative and helped advance my Sar·to·ri·al taste and style when it comes to shoes. Truly the SF Shoe God:
    [​IMG]

Where do I sacrifice my goats and Kenneth Coles?

Andrew, Barba Gold Label and thanks greatly for all the helpful insights.
    A tip of the hat to you.

4. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

I agree that losing AP would be bad, and the circumstances surrounding his leaving are incredibly unfortunate. But I wanted to clarify one thing: he didn't "announce" that he was leaving, he made his decision and shared that privately with some members. Of course, that only goes to reinforce why he'll be missed.

5. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

6. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yes, Andrew, please don't leave.

We shoe-meshuggeners must stick together.

7. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

Sad day, indeed. Andrew has always been generous with his sources, time, and experiences, and has never involved himself in the rancor that gets spit around these regions too often. He made SF a better place by actually focuses on clothing - or really, shoes. Hopefully he'll stay.

8. jamesbond

jamesbond Senior member

The man has tought myself as well as numerous others how to properly polish a pair of shoes!

9. Rakosi

Rakosi New Member

Be gone defector!

10. kcgreg

kcgreg Senior member

who the hell are you????

11. maleofglory

maleofglory Member

I have lurked these forums for quite a while now, and I would be very sad to see Andrew aportnoy leave. [​IMG]

12. kcgreg

kcgreg Senior member

Be gone defector!

Who is this guy?[​IMG]

13. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

One of the great things about the forum is the community atmosphere here. Both Andrews (Portnoy and Harris) have been invaluable members of the forum.

I think that recent problems with some rather insidious trolls have put everyone on edge. The Vass USA vs. Globalization fiasco certainly hasn't helped matters any. I've had to do more moderation in the last couple of weeks since the Days of Ernest.

Finally, let's remember that just because some members are involved in the clothing industry doesn't mean that they have an ulterior motive for their participation on the forum. Andrew Harris, the most obvious example, has made invaluable posts to the forum. I do not begrudge (obvously) Andrew Portnoy for bringing a deal to the forum's attention. However, it is hardly fair to cast aspersions on Gabor Halmos for protecting his livelihood. That is just sour grapes. Like I wrote in another thread, I hate the fact that there is a North American distributor for Nudie jeans that puts my favorite models out of my price range. On the other hand, I understand that the dude is just having to make a living, and I don't begrudge that.

Let's all just take a deep breath and everyone collect their tempers, okay?

Fok.

14. kcgreg

kcgreg Senior member

One of the great things about the forum is the community atmosphere here. Both Andrews (Portnoy and Harris) have been invaluable members of the forum.

I think that recent problems with some rather insidious trolls have put everyone on edge. The Vass USA vs. Globalization fiasco certainly hasn't helped matters any. I've had to do more moderation in the last couple of weeks since the Days of Ernest.

Finally, let's remember that just because some members are involved in the clothing industry doesn't mean that they have an ulterior motive for their participation on the forum. Andrew Harris, the most obvious example, has made invaluable posts to the forum. I do not begrudge (obvously) Andrew Portnoy for bringing a deal to the forum's attention. However, it is hardly fair to cast aspersions on Gabor Halmos for protecting his livelihood. That is just sour grapes. Like I wrote in another thread, I hate the fact that there is a North American distributor for Nudie jeans that puts my favorite models out of my price range. On the other hand, I understand that the dude is just having to make a living, and I don't begrudge that.

Let's all just take a deep breath and everyone collect their tempers, okay?

Fok.

Agreed man - we have much more to do with shoes....bring on the shoes!!!![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. countdemoney

countdemoney Senior member

Aportnoy, sad to see you go. Best of luck, and please enjoy all those shirts you have.