• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Better Days ...

sysdoc

Reaction score
I just received a very disturbing PM from aportnoy in which he told me that he won't be posting at SF anymore. I'm sure all the regulars here in the forum have noticed how the atmosphere at SF has significantly deteriorated since the Vass USA incident, but I consider it seriously alarming if a valued SF member announces his departure, who has made plenty of useful, interesting and pleasant contributions.

Now I have got my very own opinion on Vass shoe quality, Vass USA, Steve B.s infamous "blabbermouth" comment, and the personal or professional integrity of Andrew Harris and Gabor Halmos. I have not made them public, because I know that my comments can be far too caustic for many of the disagreeing members to digest. I also have read too many caustic comments from others to ignore the fact that mine would be but oil into an already huge inferno.

However, may I ask everybody to spend a little thought on the actual value of certain contributions to SF? I see that the threads/postings of Andrew Harris and partly also of Gabor Halmos are considered "hard work" which deserve them compensation, because they introduced (out of pure philanthropy?) the realm of Vass shoes to the forum and thus to "the world".

What about those members who out of TRUE benevolence take pictures and write reports, explanations, advisors or descriptions? Those members who happen to have a job outside the SF-realm and who yet give advice and inform others of interesting deals or products without the slightest expectation of an actual compensation?

Andrew Portnoy has entertained plenty of SFers with his infamous "weekly shoe damage". He took pictures of his 'magic carpet', has shared his sources and advised others. Are his contributions to the forum worth anything? Are they not good enough to be considered "hard work"?

In the pre-crash time I happened to post a picture story about my January 2006 shoe shopping trip to London. When SF was back up I was informed by a certain member that he'd appreciate if I'd repost the pictures, but only if I leave out my copyright markings. Now how crude is that? I am good enough for posting the pictures, but I better don't bother anyone with the fact that I am the one who took them? Hard work or just bollocks? I never reposted the pictures. I consider my time rather valuable and I won't provide its fruits to those who can't live with the little reminder of who did the actual work.

We've got quite a few members that make considerable efforts to inform or at least entertain the community far beyond the omnipresent pseudo-witty remarks. The majority of these members is neither seeking immediate or future financial compensation, nor personal recognition. They just enjoy sharing their knowledge/experience and/or helping out fellow people. However, they don't want to be taken for granted or else they'll leave.

The "Vass USA vs. Global Market" issue has poisoned the forum rather badly. The things that happened to the "Sartorialist shoots you" thread are a perfect example. As long as those posters with an actual (more or less obvious) agenda are receiving recognition, the guys who do it just for the love of the game should even more so.

Now I suggest we do our best to keep Andrew Portnoy from leaving and let's hope there are ways to repair the damaged atmosphere. Andrew hasn't posted for four days, yet not one has stood up to make a comment in his favor.

I don't know how you feel, but *I* want the "blabbermouth" back! NOW!

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I agree. APortnoy is on my very short list of favorite posters, and also a generous resource willing to answer just about any question.

Losing him would, for lack of a better term, really suck.

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
Andrew, please don't leave the forum. Your posts are invaluable and I know many, many people (not necessarily those who post every 5 minutes) look forward to your "Shoe Damage" threads and are upset at the way you've been treated.

Sysdoc - keep fighting the good fight, man.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sysdoc - I agree with (almost) every word in your post. Andrew is one of the most valuable members of this forum (dare I say community?) and I would also be sad (or is that angry?) to see him leave because of the comments and unfortunate choice of words of a small but loud minority. I am sure that if this was a poll, he would get quite a strong vote of confidence

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's fascinating and grotesque.

But I'd rather not have members leave, especially members with boatloads of nice shoes.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yes. He must stay, for the Appreciation.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I would be very said if aportnoy did in fact leave for good. Sysdoc, however, I think you should consider some of your comments (which to my reading, contain some subtle and some not-so-subtle jabs). It's not going to help the situation to keep bickering about the Vass shoes thread and particularly, A Harris, who has made plenty of posts out of philanthropy that were not at all related to Vass. I agree that the state of the forum has declined more or less over time (while my little forum just seems to get better and better
laugh.gif
). I think the solution is not more moderation but to just step back, take things less seriously and try to remain friendly with people. And I would like to say, as a moderator (being completely hypocritical for a moment), that the jabs at the offender with the blabbermouth comment truly need to end. If you feel yourself needing to spit out slanderous comments (however witty and subtle they may be), sit on your hands please.

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't want to start rank-ordering member contributions.

I sure would miss "shoe damage" and other shoe-quality posts.

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sysdoc
Now I suggest we do our best to keep Andrew Portnoy from leaving and let's hope there are ways to repair the damaged atmosphere. Andrew hasn't posted for four days, yet not one has stood up to make a comment in his favor.

I don't know how you feel, but *I* want the "blabbermouth" back! NOW!

I agree. I'll miss having a "shoe nemesis" that can afford all the shoes I'd buy if I could.

I loved the "shoe damage" threads.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Checks
I don't want to start rank-ordering member contributions.

I sure would miss "shoe damage" and other shoe-quality posts.

Neither would I want to see such ranking - self serving reasons of course, it is not like I am a source of sartorial wisdom
biggrin.gif
- on the contrary, that is a big reason why I spend so much time here; being able to see new things and learn.

I think I agree with Brian though. Sit back and relax a bit.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't say that I know him exceptionally well but aportony seems like a good guy who participates out of interest in the topic and wants to share his knowledge with others.

tbabes

Reaction score
Portnoy is at the top of my list of favorite posters. The shoe Appreciation is great. I for one am very glad that the info on the "German Retailer" got out -- provided a great service to the forum members who were able to take advantage of getting the shoes at ~ half U.S. retail price.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As someone who can't really contribute much to the discussion, and thus is here primarily to learn and enjoy the community, I'd hate to see any poster go, especially one as good natured and with as much to add as aportnoy.

I do think, or at least hope, that this foul air will blow over in (hopefully little) time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads