• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

beta blockers

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
every now and then i have to do large presentations to mixed audiences at my work. my main job is technical which means sitting at my desk and dealing with no more than 10 people but about once a quarter i need to speak to about 300 people in an auditorium setting.

for some reason, the first five minutes is always torture. sweaty palms, wavering voice, heart palpatations etc. no matter how prepared i am its always the same. its usually alright after the first 5 minutes but the first five are terrible.

so i was thinking about hooking up some beta blockers like all those proffesional musicians.

is taking performance enhancing drugs for work as bad as it sounds?

anyone else had beta blockers? any side effects?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
**** works like a charm. I pop 10mg of propranolol before a really big presentation, but I try to do it very sparingly as I don't want to become dependent.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Common sides associated with inability to quickly raise bloodpressure - soft peen.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
whoah! do you mean straight after taking it (probably a good thing) or long term (definitely bad thing)

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to try them out. Any reputable place to order them online?

v.freeman

Reaction score
Just get them from your doctor. Easy enough to get - no dependency / addictive component so all you have to do is ask. It definitely works. I use them for interviews and presentations.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr Herbert
whoah! do you mean straight after taking it (probably a good thing) or long term (definitely bad thing)

Well the stuff that I have takes 2 hours to take effect and then is effective for 20 hours, but no it's not long term.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sometimes a little nervous anticipation is good - but i was sweating like pavarotti in a sweet shop.

does a milder dose acheive half the effect?

cold war painter

Reaction score
You'd be surprised at how little your anxiety symptoms are perceptible by the audience, at least that is my experience. The best cure is probably to present as much as you can; the anxiety wears off pretty quickly as your body figures out nothing bad happened the last few times so it gets bored.

If you're set on trying beta blockers, there are many many side effects from impotence through to the one side effect common to all drugs; death. I would think your risk of most of the usual side-effects is very low if you're taking small doses on a one-off basis, probably the thing I'd be most worried about would be low blood pressure/postural hypotension causing collapse. (Unfortunate if this happened during the talk of course.) Starting with a small dose is a good idea.

The usual cautions apply: medical advice over the internet is worth a lot less than what you pay for it.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cold war painter
You'd be surprised at how little your anxiety symptoms are perceptible by the audience, at least that is my experience. The best cure is probably to present as much as you can; the anxiety wears off pretty quickly as your body figures out nothing bad happened the last few times so it gets bored.

If you're set on trying beta blockers, there are many many side effects from impotence through to the one side effect common to all drugs; death. I would think your risk of most of the usual side-effects is very low if you're taking small doses on a one-off basis, probably the thing I'd be most worried about would be low blood pressure/postural hypotension causing collapse. (Unfortunate if this happened during the talk of course.) Starting with a small dose is a good idea.

The usual cautions apply: medical advice over the internet is worth a lot less than what you pay for it.

Death is a common side effect of all drugs?
laugh.gif

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr Herbert

Lol anti-drug people are just trying to scare you man. Believe me. I am the first person the in the ******* world who would stay away from something if it caused even a 3% decrease in my boaner power.

It only takes 10-20mg of propranolol to get rid of all physical jitters before a big presentation. I use 10mg. It's like the smallest amount you can use, unless you want to split pills. Some people take 50-90mg daily but they must either be elephants or be the patients of evil freak doctors. Not necessary.

10-20mg of propranolol will kick in within 20 minutes or less. It will last a few hours. That said I have had sex absolutely fine within 3-4 hours of taking it. I have had massive boaners within 2 hours of taking it. It definitely does not cause impotence, at least not in me. It might leave you a bit sleepy (but not overwhelmingly so), kind of like any antihistamine might.

Originally Posted by Reggs
I want to try them out. Any reputable place to order them online?

Medstore.biz, for one, is very reliable.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use beta blockers for auditions sometimes. But I only use half a 10mg pill. At 5mg it's almost like a placebo. Try it out a few times before taking it for something important. It works well, although I rarely use it.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whats wrong with just dealing with it or trying to overcome the anxiety yourself? I don't see how this justifies the use of a drug, however weak it might be.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by XenoX101
Whats wrong with just dealing with it or trying to overcome the anxiety yourself? I don't see how this justifies the use of a drug, however weak it might be.

Lol, who gives a **** about justifying it? If it lets me nail a kickass presentation in front of a client without the adrenaline rush my body is trying to sabotage me with, it's cool with me.

I've used PEDs. Sue me!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads