• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

best/worst corporate logos

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think the symbology of a logo can be a nice by-product, but at the end of the day the function is to brand.

in fact i would say that the GM logo has symbolically about as much meaning as the audi 4-circles, albeit using a different language. 'GM' stands for 'General Motors'. it's a rather pedantic symbology, but still it's pointing to something. more important, it's very recognizable.

having said all that, i think GM's is really pretty boring compared to many other car logos. and i really don't like that fake chrome reflection effect. that kind of stuff on a logo just looks cheap to me.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Exactly: it says nothing about their cars.

The Mercedes logo means: land, air, and sea. The engines built by Mercedes.

The BMW logo: A white propeller spinning in the blue sky, since the company started as an aircraft engine manufacturer.

The Audi logo: the 4 rings of the 4 companies of the Auto Union and the Silver Arrow connection.

And so on and so fourth....

Jon.

It's a fallacy that a logo needs direct reference to the product to be effective and good. Very few people understand the story behind the Audi or Mercedes or BMW logo; what's important is the style in which they're done: the font, the spacing, etc. all of which need to convey the message of the company. For GM, it's perfect. It's generic and industrial, just like the company. Many times you cant put into words everything that's great about a logo.

Trust me. The GM logo is a good one.

Brian SD

Reaction score
and i really don't like that fake chrome reflection effect. that kind of stuff on a logo just looks cheap to me.

Agreed. I hate stupid photoshop filters.

Max

Reaction score
Agreed on the photoshop chroming.

I'm not particularly fond of the GM logo, but it is what it is.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ILoveNY.gif

Well, not really a logo, but almost. Can't understand why nobody's posted the PanAm logo:

PanAm.jpg

Glock.gif

NASA.gif

Vespa.gif

Brian SD

Reaction score
Lucky, I kept forgetting to post Milton Glaser's "I <3 NY" but I kept meaning to. Glaser is a master!

chrisc

Reaction score
The F1 logo is pretty smart...

f1_logo.gif

Lucky Strike:

li_lucky_freshmint.jpg

Budweiser:

budweiser_215.gif

Packard:

pack_logo.gif

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chrisc

Packard:

pack_logo.gif

Actually, this is a rather crude depiction of one of the Packard hood ornaments called the "Goddess of Speed," popularly known as the "Doughnut Chaser." She did not get clear plastic wings until the '50s.

The more emblematic Packard hood ornament was the "Cormorant," which everyone took for a swan.

I posted the Packard logo and crest earlier.

Hanseat

Reaction score
deutsche_bank.jpg

The logo's designer Stankowski would have turned 100 these days. On that occassion the DB put together a 3 page PDF on the history of its logo. It's pretty interesting to see the developments over time. The logo is from 1974 btw. and as any good logo it doesn't loog a bit dated.

http://www.deutsche-bank.de/en/downl...go_History.pdf

silhouette.jpg

That's a great logo for a great company.

braun-logo.gif

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick
Blackspot.. the anti-nike
tounge.gif

What I like so much about it is that it is such an intended paradox: It's a very good logo whose message is anti-logo. I don't care that much for, or about, the politics, but as a visual pun, I love it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads