best/worst corporate logos

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by matadorpoeta, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red "Mr. Fashionista"

[​IMG]

HAHAhaHAAhahAhAHhahaHAhaha (cue beverage exiting left nostril)

Isn't that a beauty? It took me a long time to see the intended design instead of the apparent one. I can scarcely look at it without lapsing into a doggie-style daydream.

It is the logo for the Brazilian Institute for Oriental Studies. Apparently they're not current on how Edward Said's Orientalism changed the terms of discourse in the fields of Asian and Middle Eastern studies.

2. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

Isn't that a beauty? It took me a long time to see the intended design instead of the apparent one. I can scarcely look at it without lapsing into a doggie-style daydream.

It is the logo for the Brazilian Institute for Oriental Studies. Apparently they're not current on how Edward Said's Orientalism changed the terms of discourse in the fields of Asian and Middle Eastern studies.

Yes there is something trance -inducing about it.
    Lets print some up with an"I (heart)" in front of it.
    I dont think Ivan Chermayeff would object.

3. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

How about some good ones from the world of sports.

I've always thought this old Milwaukee Brewers logo was great...
    [​IMG]

Oh my gawds, I never noticed that had an M and a B in it. I'm such a tool.

That was a great logo. Too bad about that new one--it looks very contemporary and will surely be dated in a couple years.

bob

4. Etienne

Etienne Senior member

Weirdest reason for a logo (which country has a logo!?)
    France had one designed in 1999, which I rather like :
    [​IMG]

5. Etienne

Etienne Senior member

Like little green and black toadstools they are slowly colonizing Paris. As they are at least as expesnive as French cafes I wonder if it's the tourists and expats keeping them going.
    Probably that, and maybe some "new fad" appeal. The Hediard shop near my place has been replaced by one [​IMG]

6. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

[​IMG]

Well it looks better than this French symbol:

[deleted]

Jon.

7. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

Colette had definitively sautÃ[​IMG] le requin when it proudly proclaimed in 2003 that it would be serving Starbucks coffee...

Do you live near the rue du Bac? There used to be a Hediard there. I used to buy coffee beans there when I was a starving student (I had my priorities).

RJ

PS: Is that the insignia for the Ambiguously Gay Duo up there?

8. Etienne

Etienne Senior member

Do you live near the rue du Bac? There used to be a Hediard there. I used to buy coffee beans there when I was a starving student (I had my priorities).
    No, but I work in the area (when I am in Paris). Right next to Debauve et Gallais, actually, which is a temptation my grad-student financial means could make without. I was refering to the HÃ[​IMG]diard at the end of rue Mouffetard.

And Jon? That American stereotype about the French is really getting old. I like a good xenophobic joke as well as the next guy once in a while, mind you. And I don't care when they use historically inaccurate stereotypes. But on AAAC and SF I have had more than my fill of francophobic ones. Thus this one was rather uncalled for and I resent it.

9. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet:

[​IMG]

10. SGladwell

SGladwell Senior member

This revulsion of Starbucks fascinates me. If you don't like their coffee don't go there. But clearly other people do like it. You act as if they are coming into new markets and torching their competitors' shops.

bob

I'll be.. TS and I agree 100% on this one!

My favorite Starbucks irony is their Kärtner Str., Vienna store. It is across from the opera house. And within spitting distance of the Hotel Sacher. Even ignoring quality, the gulf between the two establishments being unbridagble, Sacher wins on price, too! One can buy a real Austrian melange and a slice of Sachertorte at the hotel's coffee shop for less than a short latte and a danish at the 'Bucks!

And actually, Bob, a lot of what they're doing is the moral equivalent of "torching their competitor's shops." Starbucks' SOP is to open a new coffee shop right next to an established local competitor. And then another, and then another, until the local guy cries uncle. Then SB will close one or two of their stores, just enough to keep the market as oversaturated as TS describes. That very nearly happened to my favorite place to buy coffee in Altanta, Aurora Coffee in Little Five Points.

Not that Starbucks doesn't do some things right. In America, they pay living wages and do what the government should do for their employees: provide healthcare. They're a leader in the fair trade coffee movement. I'd go so far as to say that if they only just learn to roast a coffee bean they'd be one of my favorite companies in the world. Kind of like that other Seattle giant, whose founder does more good in the world than any other individual but sells half-baked products I use only when I must.

When I go to the Bucks, always at someone else's request, I order a chai latte, because it's harder for them to mess up a powdered drink than one that comes from beans.

11. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

[​IMG]

That is rather nice, I agree.

12. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

The Hellenic Republic has one that is usually used for official documents, events and suchlike
    [​IMG]
    In a way it is less a logo and more an insignia. However, the star of Vergina is used quite often AS a logo, officially and unofficially:
    [​IMG]

13. tiger02

tiger02 Militarist

do what the government should do for their employees: provide healthcare.
    I don't really want to derail the discussion, but the government does provide quite decent health care for its employees...

14. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

I don't really want to derail the discussion, but the government does provide quite decent health care for its employees...
    That's funny, I always feel like a government employee right around this time of year... [​IMG]

15. Augusto86

Augusto86 Sean Penn's Mexican love child

I'm going to go start a Starbuck's topic because I'm curious to here more but don't wanna threadjack.
    As for logos, I was always fond of this as a kid: very Brasil, so it feels like home:
    [​IMG]