Best workout book/guide????

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by pg600rr, Jun 9, 2009.

1. stickshift

stickshift Senior member

Strength Training Anatomy (Amazon)

Great for new lifters and old hands.

+1

I also like Arnold's book "The New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding"...lots of great info in there.

2. turbozed

turbozed Senior member

+1

Lolz

3. JohnD356

JohnD356 Senior member

I agree that the forums are a mixed bag. For every guy who knows what he's talking about, there are a dozen who don't have a clue. Besides, once you know how to do the key lifts correctly (which is where a book can help) all you need to do it go to the gym, work hard and eat clean. You don't need to spend all day in a BB forum discussing the pros/cons of every amino acid supplement known to man.

4. TEPLimey

TEPLimey Well-Known Member

I also like Arnold's book "The New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding"...lots of great info in there.
    For pure techniques and exercises, this is pretty much the definitive guide, IMO.

I would supplement Arnold's book with a guide to nutrition and something on building core strength.

5. robertorex

robertorex Senior member

btw if you google "javorek complex" many of them are available online. Various other free resources will give you plenty of instruction on how to do the component lifts. You won't have to spend a cent.

6. pg600rr

pg600rr Senior member

btw if you google "javorek complex" many of them are available online. Various other free resources will give you plenty of instruction on how to do the component lifts. You won't have to spend a cent.

I will have to do that and compile my own Javorek book...I have been wanting to try his stuff out for a while just to see what the results are like.

7. js4design

js4design Senior member

+1

this was going to be my recommendation. just supplement the lifts you aren't sure about by looking up videos of proper form. there are actually a lot of them on youtube etc.

8. riraito

riraito Senior member

I have arnold's encyclopedia and I recommend staying away from it. For the average person it's not very practical.. the amount of volume arnold does in his routines is abnormal and not representative of what a typical person is capable of. arnold is a legend and he trains at a level far greater than the rest of us.

In my personal experience you can find a lot of great stuff on the web but as for books I liked Chad Waterbury's Muscle Revolution and Christian Thibaudeau's Black Book of Training Secrets.

It really depends what your goal is though.. I lost interest in bodybuilding awhile ago and am now much more interested in functional performance training. What kind of body do you wanna have? I think having the body of a sprinter or gymnast is a good goal to have.. they have incredible muscular definition and strength. I'll never understand the obsession with being HUGE

Edit: also stay away from crossfit unless you want to die early.

9. Grayland

Grayland Senior member

10. mgoose

mgoose Senior member

11. robertorex

robertorex Senior member

12. javyn

javyn Senior member

Total broscience and waste of time.
    I'd suggest the simple way: Go to bodybuilding forums. Stock up on knowledge and workout info.
    This is what you need. [​IMG]

13. jarude

jarude Senior member

starting strength is good. I wouldn't recommend the javorek stuff unless you have some heavy lifting barbell strength - a base of limit strength to start off with first.

starting strength is good.

starting strength

starting

strength

There is absolutely no reason you should be looking at anything other than starting strength. If you're a beginner, you MUST use Starting Strength. Accept no substitutes.

14. kever

kever Senior member

I got my best gains of my training ever by doing the intermediate and advanced programs in "the book of muscle". The workouts change frequently, and are 3 days a week. At first I thought the volume was too low, but I was really surprised at how well it worked. They explain all the movements with pictures if you are a beginner as well. I really liked how the programs had varying reps, sets, tempos and exercises. I'd recommend it to anyone starting out.

15. Lear

Lear Senior member

Total broscience and waste of time. This is what you need. [​IMG]
    Be careful though. On the Amazon UK website (as of June 13, 2009), they appear to only have the first edition. I think I'll get this one though. It'll be my one and only book on the subject. Does it come with a guarantee that I won't get sand kicked in my face? Lear