• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best wool pants?

darkbat

Reaction score
What are the best wool pants?

The Brooks Brothers Gabardine Trousers Regent fit?

I heard Mabitex is good too; what are your personal go-to wool pants?

JGloger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Depends. How many legs?

- B

Three, obviously.

pants2.jpg

Ideefixee

Reaction score
^ All I can think of when I see that pic is Alice In Wonderland...

tweedledee-tweedledum-3.jpg

darkbat

Reaction score
yeah... jokes aside. How should the quality of a pair of wool slacks be judged? Cut? Wrinkle-free-ness?

cglex

Reaction score
Pants should be judged by fit, materials and construction in that order. Fit is more a function of the tailor than the maker. MTM or any other form of custom done right will be better than otr, even for pants. For OTR, since the same maker will often offer a wide range of fabrics and the maker's label will often not be on the garment, it comes down to the the local shop and their tailor and selection. Given your question, this is probably not the answer you are hoping for, but do focus on where you buy more than who made it when buying tailored garments.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cglex
Pants should be judged by fit, materials and construction in that order. Fit is more a function of the tailor than the maker. MTM or any other form of custom done right will be better than otr, even for pants. For OTR, since the same maker will often offer a wide range of fabrics and the maker's label will often not be on the garment, it comes down to the the local shop and their tailor and selection. Given your question, this is probably not the answer you are hoping for, but do focus on where you buy more than who made it when buying tailored garments.

+1 though some smaller brands are fairly consistent...Panta and HY.

It all depends on how you like your fit. BB is pretty genrous, Panta (when you can get it) is pretty slim. For instance, in Panta, I need to order a size up in the waist and have them taken in.

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with cglex's comment, though would emphasize that as the price goes up, you should start caring more and more about construction.

As far as the best wool pants, my vote goes to Mabitex and Pantas. Mabitex has more options in terms of cut and fabrics, but Pantas' fabrics are very, very well curated and the construction seems to be much better. I've also found Pantas to be slightly less slim fitting than Mabitex, but they're still fairly slim, which make them more appropriate for slightly more conservative settings (such as an law office or the like). After searching forever for pants that fit well, have nice fabrics, and are well constructed, I doubt I'll ever buy anything besides Mabitex and Pantas. However, I heard great things about Howard Yount and Epaulet.

darkbat

Reaction score
cool that's all very new to me I've never seen Pantas anywhere.

What about Incotex? And what's the big deal with gabardine trousers anyway

hatguy

Reaction score
panta is sold by sf member edmorel
search for "panta" in the sf search bar
i like their pants/fit very well and importantly they are very well constructed
mabitex fit well also and are reasonably priced on the b/s section
i prefer a slimmer fit/cut pant which both panta and mabitex offer

ultimately, i think it depends on the fit you like and how much you want to spend

summej2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by darkbat
What about Incotex?

Incotex uses a super 120s wool that wears out quickly. They're nice in some ways, but I think quality has decreased over the last few years. I've basically given up on RTW wool pants because I can't find the fabrics I want, though I haven't tried Panta (do you sell EU 44 Ed?).

I still think Incotex makes the best RTW corduroy. For other cotton RTW I've been just as happy with Ralph Lauren Purple Label.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads