• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. Passus shoes was founded by long term members of the forum and veterans of the shoes business. and is dedicated to crafting fine shoes in Budapest in a time honored tradition. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new affiliate vendor thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Best wool pants?

darkbat

Reaction score
What are the best wool pants?

The Brooks Brothers Gabardine Trousers Regent fit?

I heard Mabitex is good too; what are your personal go-to wool pants?

Ideefixee

Reaction score
^ All I can think of when I see that pic is Alice In Wonderland...

darkbat

Reaction score
yeah... jokes aside. How should the quality of a pair of wool slacks be judged? Cut? Wrinkle-free-ness?

cglex

Reaction score
Pants should be judged by fit, materials and construction in that order. Fit is more a function of the tailor than the maker. MTM or any other form of custom done right will be better than otr, even for pants. For OTR, since the same maker will often offer a wide range of fabrics and the maker's label will often not be on the garment, it comes down to the the local shop and their tailor and selection. Given your question, this is probably not the answer you are hoping for, but do focus on where you buy more than who made it when buying tailored garments.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cglex
Pants should be judged by fit, materials and construction in that order. Fit is more a function of the tailor than the maker. MTM or any other form of custom done right will be better than otr, even for pants. For OTR, since the same maker will often offer a wide range of fabrics and the maker's label will often not be on the garment, it comes down to the the local shop and their tailor and selection. Given your question, this is probably not the answer you are hoping for, but do focus on where you buy more than who made it when buying tailored garments.

+1 though some smaller brands are fairly consistent...Panta and HY.

It all depends on how you like your fit. BB is pretty genrous, Panta (when you can get it) is pretty slim. For instance, in Panta, I need to order a size up in the waist and have them taken in.

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with cglex's comment, though would emphasize that as the price goes up, you should start caring more and more about construction.

As far as the best wool pants, my vote goes to Mabitex and Pantas. Mabitex has more options in terms of cut and fabrics, but Pantas' fabrics are very, very well curated and the construction seems to be much better. I've also found Pantas to be slightly less slim fitting than Mabitex, but they're still fairly slim, which make them more appropriate for slightly more conservative settings (such as an law office or the like). After searching forever for pants that fit well, have nice fabrics, and are well constructed, I doubt I'll ever buy anything besides Mabitex and Pantas. However, I heard great things about Howard Yount and Epaulet.

darkbat

Reaction score
cool that's all very new to me I've never seen Pantas anywhere.

What about Incotex? And what's the big deal with gabardine trousers anyway

hatguy

Reaction score
panta is sold by sf member edmorel
search for "panta" in the sf search bar
i like their pants/fit very well and importantly they are very well constructed
mabitex fit well also and are reasonably priced on the b/s section
i prefer a slimmer fit/cut pant which both panta and mabitex offer

ultimately, i think it depends on the fit you like and how much you want to spend

summej2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by darkbat
What about Incotex?

Incotex uses a super 120s wool that wears out quickly. They're nice in some ways, but I think quality has decreased over the last few years. I've basically given up on RTW wool pants because I can't find the fabrics I want, though I haven't tried Panta (do you sell EU 44 Ed?).

I still think Incotex makes the best RTW corduroy. For other cotton RTW I've been just as happy with Ralph Lauren Purple Label.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.