• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best wifi blu ray

millionaire75

Reaction score
So I'm looking at blu rays that will stream wifi (netflix mainly). I've read all these mixed reviews around. Not looking to spend too much. Any suggestions? I've heard good and bad things about the samsung 6500 and the LG bd570. Thanks.

guitarpkr76

Reaction score
I just go the Samsung BD-C6500 for my mom. I really like it and it was super easy to set up the wifi. She loves it so far and mainly uses it for Netflix. I have an older Samsung that is not wifi, but netflix always works great.

esquire.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why is it so important that a bluray have wi-fi?

I was going to buy Sony's BDP-370 this year but didn't pull the trigger because it didn't have built-in wifi and that seems to be an important feature that more and more blu-rays will carry, yet I don't really understand what you'd really need it for.

After all, the Sony's BDP-370, which doesn't have wi-fi, you can still stream from Netflix, Amazon, Crackle, Hulu Plus, etc..

guitarpkr76

Reaction score
Originally Posted by esquire.
Why is it so important that a bluray have wi-fi?

I was going to buy Sony's BDP-370 this year but didn't pull the trigger because it didn't have built-in wifi and that seems to be an important feature that more and more blu-rays will carry, yet I don't really understand what you'd really need it for.

After all, the Sony's BDP-370, which doesn't have wi-fi, you can still stream from Netflix, Amazon, Crackle, Hulu Plus, etc..

Would you rather run a cable all the way from your router to your blu ray player? Not fun if your router is on the other end of the house. I did it, but it was a pain. Running cable, crawling in the attic, installing jacks. A blu ray player with wifi would have been a lot easier.

millionaire75

Reaction score
Originally Posted by guitarpkr76
Would you rather run a cable all the way from your router to your blu ray player? Not fun if your router is on the other end of the house. I did it, but it was a pain. Running cable, crawling in the attic, installing jacks. A blu ray player with wifi would have been a lot easier.

what he said...

esquire.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by guitarpkr76

So, in order for the Sony's BDP-370 without built in wi-fi to be able to stream from Netflix, you have to first run the cable from the router to the blu ray?

I can see how that's a pain, but won't you get faster downloading and streaming if you're using a cable vs. wi-fi? And, would that translate to movies that are in higher def if you used a cable vs. wi-fi?

I don't know anything about this, so I'm curious about how well these wi-fi blurays are working out.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
To echo the prior recommendations, the Sonys are well thought of with many positive reviews. The new Oppo 93 is a good upscale choice for the finest quality at $499.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I can see how that's a pain, but won't you get faster downloading and streaming if you're using a cable vs. wi-fi? And, would that translate to movies that are in higher def if you used a cable vs. wi-fi?

I don't know anything about this, so I'm curious about how well these wi-fi blurays are working out.

Well, just about any router today should be able to do 54Mbps wireless or 100Mbps wired. Either number is likely at least 3X better than your cable connection. So I don't think your router is going to be the bottleneck.

esquire.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
To echo the prior recommendations, the Sonys are well thought of with many positive reviews. The new Oppo 93 is a good upscale choice for the finest quality at $499.

At $499, what does the Oppo 93 deliver that something like the Sony S570 doesn't?

More features?

Better picture quality? If I placed identical LCD TVs side by side where one was connected to Oppo 93 and the other to Sony S570 and they both played the same blu-ray movie, would I notice a difference?

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why not just get a playstation?

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Better picture quality? If I placed identical LCD TVs side by side where one was connected to Oppo 93 and the other to Sony S570 and they both played the same blu-ray movie, would I notice a difference?

It depends on what you're watching. For DVDs and interlaced material (like BDs of live concerts), there can be noticeable differences. For most Hollywood movies or things shot on film, the differences will be subtle at best and mostly to do with noise reduction and reducing coding artifacts (MPEG blockiness for example). Most people won't notice these things if they're even there.

If you have a 720p TV, the Oppo's scaler may make a difference if your TV's isn't very good. This is not an issue for 1080p.

The Oppos have had the most responsive and quickest BD playback. I'm not sure if other players have caught up.

You'd get the Oppo because of its features outside of BD playback or because you want to play out-of-region disks.

If you're using the analog outputs of a BD player, then the Oppo might be better but I'm assuming people are using HDMI for everything.

--Andre

safeharbors

Reaction score
The HDI Dune blurayplayers will play about anything you throw at it, streaming or discbased, and the firmware support is great, better than most CE manufacturers.
Should play netflix as well, it's what I would get if I were in the market right now....

esquire.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Andre,

Since you're the audiophile guy on this forum, maybe you could help me with this question too:

I know that one of the reasons bluray is superior to DVD is the superior sound. But, I don't have any audio system set up for my TV- no receivers, no speakers, not even a soundbar.

Without such a audio system, will the bluray still sound superior to DVD? Is it going to be a significant difference if I don't have all that audio equipment?

Originally Posted by A Y
It depends on what you're watching. For DVDs and interlaced material (like BDs of live concerts), there can be noticeable differences. For most Hollywood movies or things shot on film, the differences will be subtle at best and mostly to do with noise reduction and reducing coding artifacts (MPEG blockiness for example). Most people won't notice these things if they're even there.
--Andre

When the Oppo upconverts DVDs, how well does it do with the DVDs? Will the picture look like HD, maybe even bluray?

Any other suggestions for blurays that upconvert DVDs? That would be an important feature I would look for in a bluray player since I don't want to throw away my DVD collection but don't also want to spend $500 on a bluray player either.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads