1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Best White Dress Shrts for $80 or Less?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by simplisity, Jun 17, 2012.

1. simplisity

simplisity Member

I need some white dress shirts for work. I would like to get them trim-fit. Any suggestions on good shirts for $80 or less?

2. Flake

Flake Senior member

TM Lewin. Not as well made as they were 25 years ago, but still very good bang for the buck. Their slim fit is very trim - more so than, say, Brooks Bros slim fit- and the tails are nice and long.

3. BoboMax

BoboMax Senior member

4. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored

Just go by fit
    almost all low -mid priced shirts are made by one of 2-3 huge companies in asia.

5. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

I've been very pleased with charles tyrwhitt. They have trim fit, non iron if you like it, spread collars, etc. For about $50 a shirt shipped or less.

6. MTC87

MTC87 Member

At this price point, wouldn't online MTM be a better option?

7. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

depends. some online mtm shirts use crappy materials and getting the fit right can be a challenge.

I see no reason to go mtm

8. rwaldron

rwaldron Well-Known Member

How does the fabric and construction quality compare to others (say to Brooks)?

9. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

about the same. Its not turnbull & asser, but they are durable, look pretty good, and wear comfortably. You can always pick one up, wear it for a bit and see how you like it.

10. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

As a poor man, I like Tyrwhitt shirts a lot, but I believe T.M. Lewin offers a better value. If you can live with non fused collars (which are a pain in the arse to iron and the only reason I usually get tyrwhitt's instead of lewin's) I think they are a better option.

11. rwaldron

rwaldron Well-Known Member

I'm a big fat guy, and as such I usually wear Brooks Traditional fit. I don't see different fits on either of those websites. How do the fits of these shirts compare to BB traditional fit?

12. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

Can't tell you. The few BB shirts I've found around here are so expensive (around €120) I haven't even bothered trying them...
    But I can tell you Tyrwhitt's slim fit is far from slim. It's actually quite a flattering fit for bigger guys; it works great for me and I'm not small (15" neck, 42" chest, 37" waist and 41" hips if this helps...) . Their slimmest is the "tailored fit" which has darts on it. They also have a "classic" fit which is fuller. Just measure yourself and check out their size charts here...

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  13. Snedley

Snedley Senior member

In this order they become slimmer: Traditional is the fullest; Classic is average and can be worn by average grown men; Luxury is perhaps a bit slimmer; Slim has normal sized shoulders like the classic but the body is less full; X Slim belongs in the boy's dept. or for men with narrow shoulders or freaky bodies.

14. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

if you are a larger person, the slim fit at CT will probably fit you well. I wear the tailored fit, and find it to be pretty damn good. Little bit of extra material here and there but generally very good for OTR.

15. newyorknoir

newyorknoir Senior member

Though I've never worn it (so I don't know the fit), I did compliment a waiter once before on his shirt.. I guessed Brooks Brothers non-iron, turns out it was a Uniqlo non-iron. I'm sure it couldn't have been more than $100, if even close to that..

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  16. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

J. Crew and even H&M have shirts at 70 USD in the first case and about 40 USD in the second.

I have shirts of other brands that retailed for much more but those two, and I am aware of the differences between a 40 USD shirt and a 400 USD shirt, but the low-cost basics are good for the price.

The greater surprise is H&M, because even as it chases every trend it keeps a conservatively styled selection of shirts & ties in the corner.

17. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Uniqlo. $25 or so? Don't remember the price.

18. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

JCrew shirts are pretty shoddy in my experience. I have a couple and the main body of the shirt and the cut are okay, but the cuffs in particular are very lightweight and wrinkle easily.

CT are very well constructed for the price, and their more expensive Black Label shirts are excellent although they have a very limited set of designs and colours for these. I have a suspicion, based on the fact that one of the CT black label shirts I have has hexagonal gussets, that some at least may be made by T&A.

19. AndyMG

AndyMG Senior member

+ 1 for Charles Tyrwhitt. I have several of their shirts. I don't think I've ever paid over £30 for one. For the money, I think they're a very good buy.

20. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

Lightweight interlinings are a deliberate style choice, not necessarily a cost choice. J Crew shirts and the whole line are styled more casually than the CT line.

CT interlinings are more stiff, yes, but they often shrink more than the shirting fabric and leave you with a neck that is a half or whole inch smaller. This is a cost choice. More expensive interlinings will only shrink a little, and don't leave you feeling strangled after a few shirt washings.

Strangely, this has never happened to me with H&M shirts, despite their low cost.

Re CT Black Label: Hexagonal gussets are cheap. Making shirts in England is expensive. CT Black label retails (before the neverending discounts) for $100-200 USD. T&A shirts are around $400 and made in England only. CT makes no mention of English manufacture on the Black Label pages, even though it would be something to tout if it were so. So T&A doing private-label work for CT is unlikely.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012