• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Way To Wear Red/White Tie

Chuck_Inglish

Reaction score
Hi, I am in need of some opinions on the best way to wear a particular tie. (At least the best choice for color of the suit and pocket square). Here's a link to the tie:

http://www.thetiebar.com/order_page....d%2Bseersucker

(Apologies if posting links is in a violation of a rule in this forum, I'm not trying to advertise anything.)
It's a skinny red/white seersucker tie I received as a gift. There are many different possible combos i can think of, but I want something really unique and would make a statement (There's actually a special three day social event coming up this weekend, and I would like to incorporate this tie somehow).

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd wear it with a white or off-white suit in summer. Other than that, it would likely hang in my closet unused.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chuck_Inglish
There's actually a special three day social event coming up this weekend, and I would like to incorporate this tie somehow).

Wear it with a solid navy, khaki or grey suit, or with a blazer. If you don't know what PS to wear it with, wear a solid white one or don't wear one at all.

Try other combinations at your peril - think of the rule 'If you have to ask, the answer's 'No''.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
IMO it should be worn with a solid shirt. Either white or a pale shade of blue. If worn with a pale blue shirt, an off-white or khaki suit would look nice. If worn with a white shirt then you can get away with a navy blue or gray suit. I'd suggest a crisp white linen or cotton PS for any of the aforementioned looks.

With a tie that stands out as much as this one does you'll be well advised to keep from making too strong of "a statement". I generally find it far easier to "stand out" with a louder shirt or suit and a more subdued tie. Loud shirt and loud tie very rarely work out unless you often find yourself in the infield of Churchill Downs or doing rink-side commentating for NHL games.

ktrp

Reaction score
Given the pattern and texture, that's a straight up summer tie.

Would look good with a white or off-white suit. I think it would look great with light-mid grey.

It might be okay with navy/charcoal, but not ideal.

Chuck_Inglish

Reaction score
I'm thinking maybe a mid/light grey suit with a black/white polka dotted pocket square, solid white slim fit shirt.

Requiem

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chuck_Inglish
Hi, I am in need of some opinions on the best way to wear a particular tie. (At least the best choice for color of the suit and pocket square). Here's a link to the tie:

http://www.thetiebar.com/order_page....d%2Bseersucker

(Apologies if posting links is in a violation of a rule in this forum, I'm not trying to advertise anything.)
It's a skinny red/white seersucker tie I received as a gift. There are many different possible combos i can think of, but I want something really unique and would make a statement (There's actually a special three day social event coming up this weekend, and I would like to incorporate this tie somehow).

Light coloured causal suit/jacket (linen or cotton), white shirt, white ps, straw hat.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads