best way to take care of shirts? how often to wash and keep collars clean??

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by tnd, Jan 19, 2010.

1. tnd

tnd Well-Known Member

how often do you guys wash your dress shirts? after 1 wear? 2 ??

reason i ask is because i notice especially on white shirts that by the end of the day the collar is a little dirty...now would you wash it at this point or wear it once more??

i dont know if washing after 1 wear is the best thing to do to keep them in good condition or not

2. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Mine are washed after every wear.

3. onix

onix Senior member

how often do you guys wash your dress shirts? after 1 wear? 2 ??

reason i ask is because i notice especially on white shirts that by the end of the day the collar is a little dirty...now would you wash it at this point or wear it once more??

i dont know washing after 1 wear is the best thing to do to keep them in good condition or not

after 2 wears in the winters, 1 wear in the summer.

4. medtech_expat

medtech_expat Senior member

I wash after every wear, regardless of season. I spray OxyClean on any discolored collars/cuffs before washing in cold water with mild detergent. My Miele does a good job at minimizing wear. No dryer, I iron with a LauraStar when damp.

5. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

Wash after every 1-2 wears, Shout on collars, cuffs, and armpits, wash with mild detergent, remove from washer and hang dry.

I've since given up on ironing, unless I'm due for an interview.

6. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

Daily.

'Vanish' with white shirts. Ironed but not tumble dried.

7. furo

furo Senior member

I don't wash them until I see dirt/sweat on the collars, and that's usually after a few wears at least, depending on how active I was while wearing the shirt. I'll also wash sooner if they smell bad. Since transitioning to a solid deodorant stick (Arm & Hammer solid), I have almost no problems with sweat and nasty armpit stuff on the shirts.

I also use Oxy clean with the wash to get the dirt off the collars, but I dry them all in a dryer. Most of my shirts are non-iron, but the ones that aren't are a real bitch to press (RLBL and RLPL) due to the softness of the cotton.

8. VincentMilano

VincentMilano Member

I wash them after every wear...
    Take them to the drycleaners every 5 wears or something like that.

9. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

after 2 wears in the winters, 1 wear in the summer.

I have problems keeping my collar clean. After 3-4 hours of wear, dirt collects on the inside of my collar and washing doesn't completely get it off.

10. Working Stiff

Working Stiff Senior member

Shirts should be washed after every wearing. Even if you only wear it for a couple of hours.

11. onix

onix Senior member

I have problems keeping my collar clean. After 3-4 hours of wear, dirt collects on the inside of my collar and washing doesn't completely get it off.
    Washing alone never completely get rid of dirt. I put oxyclean on them the day before washing.

12. Viral

Viral Senior member

there is no one answer.........people sweat and wear their clothes differently.

I wash depending on the amount of soil collected after the first wearing - usually is a good indication if a second wear is warranted.

Wash in Woolite and hang to dry.....I'm a good shirt presser, I don't usually have any problems ;-)

Hope this helps!

13. rjt65

rjt65 Well-Known Member

hmmm how often do u guys dryclean them? so one response dryclean every 4-5 wears--I used to get them drycleaned all the time bad me

thinking woolite (shout or oxy where needed in armpits collar etc) and hang dry than dryclean every 4-5 times sounds about right to me....

14. ferguscan

ferguscan Senior member

Gentle wash; coldest water possible; after one wear for the most part. To completely clean the collars/cuffs/underarms, scrub with laundry soap and a nail brush the night before washing. I do this once every few months.

Don't dry-clean your shirts. Not good for them. Dry cleaning is not really good for any cloths.

Stuart

15. rjt65

rjt65 Well-Known Member

What about suits?

how do you keep them clean pressed?

cheers

Gentle wash; coldest water possible; after one wear for the most part. To completely clean the collars/cuffs/underarms, scrub with laundry soap and a nail brush the night before washing. I do this once every few months.

Don't dry-clean your shirts. Not good for them. Dry cleaning is not really good for any cloths.

Stuart