• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best way to spend $400-500 a suit

TheBurnOut

Reaction score
Look up Ying Tai at the Peninsula Hotel- they'll do you right.

DoTheGrownup

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanchez14
4. Keep an eye on Off Saks and last Call for when they put their stuff at 40% off. Off Saks is 40% off this week. When on sale, this puts a lot of their stuff in my range.

I think this is a good option, as long as they have something basic. The Off 5th here often has Isaia and HF suits that would probably come into your price range with the 40% off.

johnvw

Reaction score
Option #1 you mention is good. You may also want to check out JAB Signature and Sig. Gold suits during one of the 60-70% off sales.

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would go with the Jab Sig Gold suit for $250 ish. Lawyers don't typically dress very well, and unless your putting on trials (which I can more or less guarantee a large firm will not trust a new associate to do), theres not really much point in dressing to the nine's. Unless your doing it for yourself, which is reason in and of itself.

Or, if your okay with used, scour ebay. Use terms such as custom, bespoke, zegna (make sure its mainline), freeman, etc. There are plenty of Hickey and H. Freeman suits. Don't buy used Brooks, people are willing to pay way too much for that stuff on ebay. Anyway, Hickey Freeman used on ebay is a great place to start, I can pretty much guarantee you'll find something close to your size. Its a very popular suit to sell.

jhva3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by phxlawstudent
I would go with the Jab Sig Gold suit for $250 ish. Lawyers don't typically dress very well, and unless your putting on trials (which I can more or less guarantee a large firm will not trust a new associate to do), theres not really much point in dressing to the nine's. Unless your doing it for yourself, which is reason in and of itself.

Or, if your okay with used, scour ebay. Use terms such as custom, bespoke, zegna (make sure its mainline), freeman, etc. There are plenty of Hickey and H. Freeman suits. Don't buy used Brooks, people are willing to pay way too much for that stuff on ebay. Anyway, Hickey Freeman used on ebay is a great place to start, I can pretty much guarantee you'll find something close to your size. Its a very popular suit to sell.

Lawyers don't dress well? As opposed to whom? There are a ton of lawyers on this board. Lawyers often wear suits and work with others who also wear suits. Sure, not everyone looks great, but if anyone is going to notice a cheap suit, it is a lawyer.

If you're going to be making six figures, buy a decent suit. If you know your measurements, you can get good deals on this board, especially if you have a great tailor.

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jhva3
Lawyers don't dress well? As opposed to whom? There are a ton of lawyers on this board. Lawyers often wear suits and work with others who also wear suits. Sure, not everyone looks great, but if anyone is going to notice a cheap suit, it is a lawyer.

If you're going to be making six figures, buy a decent suit. If you know your measurements, you can get good deals on this board, especially if you have a great tailor.

Yeah right, lawyers as a whole can't tell a JAB from an Oxxford.

Sure, they can tell polyester from wool, for the most part. But so can most of the population. I do not understand your logic. Are you somehow suggesting that law school prepares law students in how to dress and what makes a quality suit? I can assure you law school does not.

Are you suggesting that law students regularly wear suits to class? I can assure you, they do not. You'd be hard pressed to find law students in dress shirts on a regular basis if they don't have an externship to go to.

I do not know if the same holds true for Ivy league and east coast schools. But I imagine, its not that much different.

Please explain to the board why lawyers would be more sartorially knowledgeable than the rest of the business world population.

Sanchez14

Reaction score
So it sounds like I should just rule out getting something in HK or Shanghai. I was leaning towards this anyways since we are there to vacation, not go to a bunch of fittings and schlep a suit around China, especially since we want to travel light so we get out and see the countryside more easily.

I definitely want something decent and it seems like I can definitely do that with some of the other options i have listed if I am patient and not jump the gun to buy something just because it is a good deal. I'm pretty sure good deals on a navy and a charcoal 44L will come up in the next 5-6 months.

Anyone know when Off Fifth or Last Call do their best sales of the year or should I just keep watching as I have been doing?

Sanchez14

Reaction score
I do think even the JAB signature gold stuff is below what I am looking for in terms of quality and their stuff seems to fit pretty loosely on me. Maybe the tailor could fix that, but I'd rather start with something closer to fitting well. Even though I won't be at trials, I will be in court often on motions and other hearings. The firm I am going to, despite dealing with mostly big cases, likes to get associates in court early on non-dispositive motions and discovery hearings to get us some experience early on.

GeorgeCowley

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
Explanation:
AJ_del - you've pointed out the extreme exception to the rule. Several eastern Asian posters (and zero Indian posters I might point out) who have impeccable taste (agreed), but they're even more so well regarded because of their below average brethren. They're praised because it's almost expected that they'll be poorly dressed. How many Italians post here? Not that many because what the American's and Asians do on their best days, the Brits and Italians do on an average day.
still think I'm being unreasonable?

Lot of casual racial generalisation going on here and in the forum in general in recent weeks...

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do think even the JAB signature gold stuff is below what I am looking for in terms of quality and their stuff seems to fit pretty loosely on me. Maybe the tailor could fix that, but I'd rather start with something closer to fitting well. Even though I won't be at trials, I will be in court often on motions and other hearings. The firm I am going to, despite dealing with mostly big cases, likes to get associates in court early on non-dispositive motions and discovery hearings to get us some experience early on.

Well, with your $500 ceiling, your going to be relegated to used clothing if you want significantly better than Benjamin Sartorial and are looking for a staple, solid color. B&S is your best bet for new, but I haven't had much luck there, maybe you will.

Nothing wrong with used though. All my suits are previously owned.

DoTheGrownup

Reaction score
Anyone know when Off Fifth or Last Call do their best sales of the year or should I just keep watching as I have been doing?

Can't speak to Last Call, but Off Fifth always has either a sale going on or an email coupon for 30% or 40% off one item. The current 40% off suits is (I think) as good as it gets if suits are what you need and they have one you like. You can sometimes get another 5-15% off by signing up for their loyalty program or their credit card, so if you find the perfect staple suit, you can maximize your discount.

Sebastian Melmoth

Reaction score
I am a lawyer and have been practicing for 8 years in legal aid, firm, and, currently, government.
My suggestions are tempered by the fact that I am fairly trad when it comes to clothes.

As you point out, even as an associate you will have occasions to wear a suit. You may not be doing anything more than observing a deposition or a hearing, but you still need to be in a suit.
That does not mean you need to be decked out in the finest MTM or bespoke, however.

I recommend, as a start, picking up 2 or 3 Brooks Brothers 1818 suits at one of the bi-annual sales - December and June. They typically go for $500-600. My suggestion would be to start with basics - solid navy and charcoal, a pinstripe. They are very versatile and you will look sharp and professional.

You may be able to score a great deal on Ebay or B&S, but odds are you will get stuff that isn't quite right. Personally, I got tired of it and now only by suits retail.

Save your money and, a couple of years from now you can move up to the next level - $1,000-1,500 fully canvassed from Samuelsohn, Paul Stuart, Golden Fleece, Corneliani, etc.

Good luck with the bar exam.

bobbers

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DoTheGrownup
Can't speak to Last Call, but Off Fifth always has either a sale going on or an email coupon for 30% or 40% off one item.

I would go with #4. I get Last Call 30% and 40% off email coupons every now and then. They have Hickey Freeman (mainline, fully canvassed) for $599 regular price, and with the coupon it would fit into your budget with money left over for alterations.

I'd also buy it in person so you can try on different ones to find your size and see how different brands fit you. Hickey Freeman generally has a conservative cut, for example. Once you know your size and brands, then you can scan eBay or the B&S forum with more confidence that suit will fit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads